In Today's Football League Paper (1 Viewer)

Delmonte

Maybe someone could buy the club, pay the rent for a year whilst building a new stadium which they would own.

Then the council can keep their stadium.

There's enough land around here. Just off the the a45 somewhere would be prime. But I suppose the council would never give planning permission leaving us in a vicious triangle.

dongonzalos

Just checked it Torch thanks.

So it looks like we will have to pick up some lower league players to put a good team together next season, just as Norwich and the Saints did.
Can anyone think of any ?
more importantly can anyone think of where we would get the money to pay for them. The article clearly says we can't get conference players we have to have youth players. We are in for a hard battle again. That's if we are still in existence

Grendel

more importantly can anyone think of where we would get the money to pay for them. The article clearly says we can't get conference players we have to have youth players. We are in for a hard battle again. That's if we are still in existence

It doesn't say that. The average wage in Division One is much lower. We will be one of the top 3 payers in the league our problem is a lot of that is tied up in a handful of players who seemingly spend more time injured that playing.

dongonzalos

It doesn't say that. The average wage in Division One is much lower. We will be one of the top 3 payers in the league our problem is a lot of that is tied up in a handful of players who seemingly spend more time injured that playing.

"And this year, SISU finally gave up.
We've had to rebuild with youth players, not even players from League Two or the Conference"

Where is the money coming from now to mean that we can buy these players what has changed, I think we now have less money?

I agree with you on that one though re wages Clingan Wood, Bell, McPake, Cameron, were injured a lot.

We will free up wages from Keogh Cranie Clingan Murphy But I honestly think SISU will lie again and say their wages will be used on new signings. Which then wont be. Sound familiar?

If we do get new signings they will have to be free transfers unless you know something I don't about where the money is coming from?

I think it will be the kids as it says above a couple of good loan signings and maybe some free transfers if we are lucky, but it will be more kids and loanees than freebies.

IMO we are hopefully ok goalkeeper wise with Dunn and Ireland (if Dunn is the real deal)
RB Christie and Clarke
CB Cameron Wood Mcpake Willis
LB Hussey ~(signing)
MD Bigi Bell Baker Thomas Sheff Deegan (signing x 2 natural wingers)
Strikers Cody Rod Platt (signing x 2)

So i think we will need 5 new signings not kids but loanees and freebies to stand any chance. If these 5 players turn out to be kids from the youth set up again like last season. Then expect a repeat of last season.

As the outgoing players will be some of our best and most experienced again and despite a drop in division you cant keep replacing your best and most experienced with kids. Not 5 at a time it has to be gradual

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Our wage bill is definitely competitive for League One football-indeed, it should be at the top end compared to most other clubs in the division. With the imminent departures of Clingan and Cranie, and perhaps other high earners, we can rightfully expect good 3rd tier players to replace them; or am I giving SISU too much credit...

Gaz

We won't have a lot of money to buy the players we need thats true.
but getting rid of the big earners like Shef, wood, side ways sammy and so on, will give us a budget to compete in league one for sure.

I think next season will show us once and for all if Thorn is a good manager or not.

Big Mo

Once the inevitable players depart I would think wood aside nobody will be on a high wage. If memory is right baker, mcsheffrey, bell and mcpake all signed recent deals and I refuse to accept sisu are stupid enough to not include relegation wage clauses. other than youth players who else is there? Platt and Murphy can't be on much. If sisu remain I don't think it would take massive investment to bolster this squad into being competitive without breaking the bank.

Houdi

A good piece by Chris Dunlavy, it's not online so I've had to type it out, any spelling errors are mine!

IT'S BLUE SKY THINKING NOW AS CITY SINK: RELEGATION MAY BE THEIR SALVATION

It may not feel like it to their downtrodden fans, but relegation is the best thing that could have happened to Coventry City.

Only by going down to the third tier for the first time in 48 years can this once proud club escape the financial and competitive paralysis that has numbed an entire generation of supporters and brought the club to the brink of oblivion.

Patently, the club could not support CHampionship football. Their debts, of around £60M, are the kind that can only be staved off; not repaid.

Ownership of the 32500 seat Ricoh Arena is shared between Coventry City Council and the Alan Higgs Charity, a local trust. Coventry pay £1.2M rent make nothing from sponsorship or corporate events.

Their only sources of income are gate receipts and player sales, though the latter is a well that has long since run dry.

Club owners SISU, a hedge fund, have also backed themselves into a corner, they are both unwilling to pump any more money into the club and unwilling to sell it because nobody will pay enough to offset their losses. Given that they have no real stadium or any players of real value, that is no surprise.

In other words, Coventy City are broke. For the past few years, they have paid players more than they could afford, worsening debts. Even then, they could not hope to compete with Championship clubs of even modest resources. And t his year, SISU finally gave up.

"We've had to rebuild with youth players, not even players from League Two or the Conference," said manager Andy Thorn this week, and he isn't lying.

In January, Coventry were one of only two Championship clubs who couldn't afford to bid for Fleetwood Town's £1M rated striker Jamie Vardy. The other were Doncaster, another side for whom the Championship has proved beyond a financial step too far.

This is no kind of existence. Every season Coventry tried to stay afloat, their debts got worse. And for what? Another season battling relegation? Another 17th place finish and the campaign over by March? Another year of dwindling gates?

They had become the Nick Leeson of the Championship, desperately trying to cover their losses only to make things even worse.

Now though, they can drop the act. Now, they can stop trying to mix it with the big boys and punch their own weight. It may be humiliating at first, but it is the only way they can recover - just ask Norwich.

When the Canaries went down to League One in 2009, they had debts of £23M and - though they owned their own ground - were losing money every year.

So they started again, shedding 11 players and signing 12 , all lower league types on lower league wages. They forged a spirit, started winning and now, with many of the same players Norwich are in teh Premier League and debt free.

It may take longer and it may be more painful. But for Coventry, the comeback starts here.

Good article,a lot of fans,( including ours) have a unrealistic expectation of their club.It was not long ago we kept hearing some fans claiming we should be back in the Premier league,where we belong.The trouble is probably 40 clubs fans believe that.Leeds,Sheff Wed/Utd,Derby,Forest are all clubs who have equal if not stronger claims to be Premiership clubs.
Its only our 2nd relegation in about 50 years,getting relegated has never been our problem,its a winning season near the top consistently that we desperately need.Over the last 20-30 seasons bigger clubs ie Man City/Villa/Forest/Wolves etc have been in the 3rd tier,so it is hard to think why we should be exempt.
Last season we nearly got relegated under Boothroyd,and Thorn came in steadied the ship,and by common consent did a reasonable job.We then lost not only our top 2 players,but 2 of the top players in that league in Westwood and King.We also lost several experienced Championship players,and replaced them with academy players.Having nearly got relegated 1 season,and then (which everyone agrees)having the squad severely weakened,where did people seriously expect us to finish????
The real wonder is that we weren't relegated by Christmas.
People throw Thorn inexperience as a reason ie he was/is only a scout,however Adkins was only a physio,and he has done ok,plus the Reading manager had hardly a glowing CV.Peter Reid has a pretty impressive CV (did well at Sunderland and Man City,played at the very top level,yet I doubt many fans would want him back.
Did I agree with everything Thorn did,hell no.But if he had played different teams,different formations,made earlier substitutions etc etc would we have done better ?Possibly,who knows ,we may have done worse.
However what we do know is that continual under investment,and continual selling of your best players,will only lead aclub in one direction.Unfortunately our club is presently built on dodgy foundations,and until we address that ,it will continue to be a struggle.

Sub

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2012/april/coventry-city-face-hard-times-to.html
Coventry lost to Southampton 4-0 on Saturday but it is off the field that the club will be the biggest losers with relegation from the Championship.
Success on the field leads to success off and major sponsorship deals for shirt, stadium and other will reflect League One football. This together with the loss of TV revenue and you can see why teams like Southampton, Leeds and Preston this year struggle to bounce back.
City's commercial director, Justin Tose, has tried to stready the ship saying that claims of an exodus of sponsors leaving Sky Blues following their relegation into League One are false.
The reality is that relegation from the Championship will cost the club millions of pounds worth of commercial revenue.
Coventry are reported that have been paid about £2.3 million from the Football League Pool Account.
League One sides will receive about £650,000 next season.
Attendances will also be lower and season ticket sales and prices could also feel the impact of relegation.
Tosse explained "Our medium-term sponsorship deals remain in place but we understand that the drop into League One could affect new sponsorship opportunities.
"We have already been looking into how League One football will affect the club commercially and that will form part of the review that is going to take place in the next few weeks. Many of our local sponsors and supporters have, however, indicated that they will back the club next season and, indeed, whatever division we are in.
"That kind of support is a huge help as we build for the future."
We wish the once top flight club success as both player wages as well commercial revenue must reduce in League One and a winning start to next season is essential to rebuild confidence.

dongonzalos

Well said that man. Obvious glaring facts that are staring some people in the face. However for some reason they can't seem to admit it :)

Sub

i think we are screwed !! they just do not want to say it to stop the mad rush for season tickets and the new kit:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread