Insomnia (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I was looking for tips on how to get to sleep when stressed and one thing I read was how the US military teaches soldiers to get to sleep in the battlefield. IIRC you start at your toes and basically tense every muscle in your body until you get to your finger tips and then go all the way back to your toes again then keep doing this until you go off. Never tried it but I guess if the US military is teaching soldiers to do this as a technique to get to sleep in a stressful situation there must be something in it.
I'd end up getting cramp in my foot

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thank you all. I always tend to fall asleep with the Tv On, saw it as a kind of comfort as my mum passed when i was young

But I'm going to try a podcast or something on Spotify instead, the noise will still be there i suppose

I'm am anxious guy in general, and my mind instantly goes to 'oh my god im never going to sleep again and im going to die'
I used to struggle to sleep as I had a TV in my room and removing it definitely improved my sleep. It's hard these days with all manner of devices craving attention and learning to resist the urge to look at them can take some doing.

Still don't get great sleep for a variety of reasons - uncomfortable back, mind starts racing with ideas, light sleeper who's easily disturbed and especially as I get older and find I need to go to the toilet during the night, but it's better than it was. Big help probably that I changed job to less hours and, crucially, don't have any early start and a shorter journey time to work. Not having kids is an absolute godsend as I'd be a complete zombie and unable to function.

Weirdly I often find listening to live sport on the radio can help me nod off, but rarely anything on at the right time. Music etc can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I fall asleep in the middle of a song when I didn't even feel tired when it started, others I can be listening intently for hours.

Hope you manage to find something that works for you.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If that doesn't work, I would really recommend putting on some brown noise for the whole night. Since doing it, I am getting much better quality sleep.
I thought brown noise was sound that made you shit yourself?

Astute

Been to bed. Now up. 02:35 in the morning. Nothing unusual. Was a shift worker for decades. You get used to waking up and going to work. Stopped working nearly a year ago. Nothing changes. First noise and I'm awake.

The bonus is the wife gets up I go back to bed 😄

Saddlebrains

Been to bed. Now up. 02:35 in the morning. Nothing unusual. Was a shift worker for decades. You get used to waking up and going to work. Stopped working nearly a year ago. Nothing changes. First noise and I'm awake.

The bonus is the wife gets up I go back to bed 😄

Whats a normal night for you then 3 - 4 hours?

Astute

Whats a normal night for you then 3 - 4 hours?
Depends on if I get woken up. If I do I might as well get up. Last night the wife woke me up getting into bed. I'd had less than 2 hours. But yes 4 hours uninterrupted sleep is a good one.

I got paid well for working shifts. Where I worked it came with an 18k per year premium over working Monday to Friday on days. Only worked an average 142 12 hour shifts a year. Would I do it again? The time off was great but it totally fucks you up.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm another of those who has no problem getting to sleep, but will wake between 4am - 4.30am pretty much every single morning & then just lie there stressing about all sorts of shit, whilst trying not to wake the Mrs.

Can't believe so many of you have phones in the bedroom! I switch my phone off at 9pm & leave it off until 7.00am next working day.

Saddlebrains

I must say i find it mad that so many on here struggle with sleep also

I know some people need more and some need less, but does it point to a wider problem in society that todays stresses, shift patterns etc are affecting everyones sleep compared to say 30 years ago?

Last edited:

Tommo1993

Get about an average of 5-6 hours a night. Have to be unbearably tired to be out the moment my head hits the pillow. The Mrs can be off and snoring within 2 minutes pretty much every night, really don’t know how she does it.

I find exercise (not too late and close to bedtime) and reading helps most. She says exercise has done her sleeping habits wonders. Unfortunately it’s not often the type of exercise I’d most prefer. You put a ring on it and suddenly they’re playing hard to get.

CCFCSteve

Can't believe so many of you have phones in the bedroom! I switch my phone off at 9pm & leave it off until 7.00am next working day.

Sensible suggestion, as were a lot of Pete’s. I watch tv or listen to a podcast in bed though in order to wind down but ‘try’ to avoid social media after going to bed…unless getting back from a midweek match !

JulianDarbyFTW

I suffer from migraines that are sleep related. Too little, migraine. Too much, migraine. 5 hours was the sweet spot. After 15 years of that, I'm truly exhausted.

junglej13

Struggled my whole life with sleep. I wouldn't say insomnia but am just too ill disciplined to do the right things! Not as severe as some of the other suggestions but a couple of anti histamines an hour before bed I've found as good an anything.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams

I know some people need more and some need less, but does it point to a wider problem in society that todays stresses, shift patterns etc are affecting everyones sleep compared to say 30 years ago?
Every bloke went to the pub after work back then..........you didnt sleep better but you think you did

No TV in bedroom, all tech on silent/do not disturb other than an alarm, haven't worked out how to stop the wife snoring yet which is a pain when I wake for an old man pee around 3.30

Saddlebrains

Every bloke went to the pub after work back then..........you didnt sleep better but you think you did

No TV in bedroom, all tech on silent/do not disturb other than an alarm, haven't worked out how to stop the wife snoring yet which is a pain when I wake for an old man pee around 3.30

Fair point

Alcohol is a weird one, zonks you out but the sleep quality is apparently woeful

My partner snores like fuck its horrendous

hill83

Thanks for sharing, I’ve been using the Headspace one for a week and was looking for others.

Couple of minutes of adverts you can skip at the beginning then that’s it.

Not sure what adverts etc will be like if you don’t pay for Spotify premium.

Grendel

I'm another of those who has no problem getting to sleep, but will wake between 4am - 4.30am pretty much every single morning & then just lie there stressing about all sorts of shit, whilst trying not to wake the Mrs.

Are you the guy who admitted to be an alcoholic?

I am and it’s a factor as to why I wake like you and am wired with thoughts for the next day.

Great_Expectations

Thankfully I don’t suffer from insomnia but I haven’t slept properly for 4 years i.e. when my first child was born.

I do the night shifts, which could be once in the night for a few minutes, or multiple times and all for a long period. For example a few nights ago both kids woke up twice each and on separate occasions. One wake up was to change the sheets (we’re going through no nappies at bedtime stage atm) which is quite time consuming, especially at 2 in the morning when you’re shattered.

Partner sleeps through it all - kids could be screaming and she doesn’t wake! The deal is that she does the morning routine, so take them down for breakfast etc when they wake up properly. Issue is, it sometimes takes so long (she brushes her teeth, gets dressed etc) that I’ve woken up and then can’t drop back off. So double whammy of broken sleep and up early.

Lack of sleep is really shit. Definitely impacts your emotions too.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, I end up staying up once the kids and partner are asleep as that’s the only time I really get to myself to chill.

Saddlebrains

Thankfully I don’t suffer from insomnia but I haven’t slept properly for 4 years i.e. when my first child was born.

I do the night shifts, which could be once in the night for a few minutes, or multiple times and all for a long period. For example a few nights ago both kids woke up twice each and on separate occasions. One wake up was to change the sheets (we’re going through no nappies at bedtime stage atm) which is quite time consuming, especially at 2 in the morning when you’re shattered.

Partner sleeps through it all - kids could be screaming and she doesn’t wake! The deal is that she does the morning routine, so take them down for breakfast etc when they wake up properly. Issue is, it sometimes takes so long (she brushes her teeth, gets dressed etc) that I’ve woken up and then can’t drop back off. So double whammy of broken sleep and up early.

Lack of sleep is really shit. Definitely impacts your emotions too.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, I end up staying up once the kids and partner are asleep as that’s the only time I really get to myself to chill.

Yep everyone associates the newborn stage with no sleep but i feel it carries on for a good while until the potty training stage is complete

Great_Expectations

Yep everyone associates the newborn stage with no sleep but i feel it carries on for a good while until the potty training stage is complete

100%. Even regardless of the no nappy at night stage (which is only the eldest anyway) they wake for a variety of reasons. Every night, at least once.

So I go to bed every night knowing I’m going to get broken sleep. Hard when I have stuff on my mind too, as even if I’m only in their room for a few seconds, it’s enough for my mind to start racing.

Then my partner moans I’m moody or irritable next day - I promptly remind her while she was getting a solid 8/9 hours sleep I’ve been up numerous times with the kids!

ProfessorbyGrace

c**t isnt it?

No reason for it came on suddenly lastt Sunday eve, couldnt drift off.

Got 5 or 6 hours a night rest of last week, then fuck all on Friday night. Slept for 11 hours Saturday night, but again last night fuck all

Anyone ever suffered? Any remedies or tricks to help? Im an emotional mess, cried at my daughter going to school this morning ffs
I can empathise, as for over 12 years, I’ve experienced varying degrees of insomnia.

There can be many factors, as Sky Blue Pete alluded to, even down to the level of magnesium in your body, to the temperature of the room.

Have a think about any minor to moderate changes in your life recently IE increased stress, workload at your job, extra travelling, earlier starts in the morning (that can disrupt the body’s natural Circadian rhythms) or things like (not assuming here) increased alcohol intake, or dietary sensitivities.

Don’t suppose you do night shifts, at all?

As someone else suggested, I would give some sensory noise a shot: get some decent ear buds or headphones, and put some brown noise on YouTube. Or, failing that, an 8-9 hour rain sound video.

I can also recommend a product called Valerian, which Nytol is made from, however Nytol has a far lesser grade of Valerian extract in it. Go for the root extract, or something in a drop/tincture form.

Dr Vogel does one called Dormeasan, which is distilled from hops (non alcoholic incidentally).

Saddlebrains

I can empathise, as for over 12 years, I’ve experienced varying degrees of insomnia.

There can be many factors, as Sky Blue Pete alluded to, even down to the level of magnesium in your body, to the temperature of the room.

Have a think about any minor to moderate changes in your life recently IE increased stress, workload at your job, extra travelling, earlier starts in the morning (that can disrupt the body’s natural Circadian rhythms) or things like (not assuming here) increased alcohol intake, or dietary sensitivities.

Don’t suppose you do night shifts, at all?

As someone else suggested, I would give some sensory noise a shot: get some decent ear buds or headphones, and put some brown noise on YouTube. Or, failing that, an 8-9 hour rain sound video.

I can also recommend a product called Valerian, which Nytol is made from, however Nytol has a far lesser grade of Valerian extract in it. Go for the root extract, or something in a drop/tincture form.

Dr Vogel does one called Dormeasan, which is distilled from hops (non alcoholic incidentally).

I feel for you, what were your insomnia issues? Falling asleep? Waking in the night?

Strangely i don't have any worries cimpared to usual, im on the best wage ive ever been on, enjoy work, kids are safe and happy, relationship is great, it was just really strange that it just come out the blue. Then again, i suppose that happens for most who experience it!.

I dont work nights or shifts, never have, i WFH 8.30 - 4.30. Do exercise through the day i walk 3 miles or so, do some homebased stretches and excercises too. Eat healthy. Only really drink if we're out for a meal or its someones birthday etc

Looked at Valerian root but apparently isnt good for those with hear arrhythmia and unfortunately i have ectopic heartbeats so thats a no im afraid

How do you overcome your bouts?

fernandopartridge

I think it might be information overload, we've all got access to a wealth of it at our fingertips

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Been suffering on and off since I was a teenager.

Best thing that works for me is a nice hot shower before bed.

Also I often go to the spare room (set up a sofa bed if you don't have one) and get away from the other half just because you might feel more comfortable not distracting someone.

I think most of not sleeping is mental and a lot of that subconscious so work out what is on your mind and try and put efforts in to fix that.

ProfessorbyGrace

I feel for you, what were your insomnia issues? Falling asleep? Waking in the night?

Strangely i don't have any worries cimpared to usual, im on the best wage ive ever been on, enjoy work, kids are safe and happy, relationship is great, it was just really strange that it just come out the blue. Then again, i suppose that happens for most who experience it!.

I dont work nights or shifts, never have, i WFH 8.30 - 4.30. Do exercise through the day i walk 3 miles or so, do some homebased stretches and excercises too. Eat healthy. Only really drink if we're out for a meal or its someones birthday etc

Looked at Valerian root but apparently isnt good for those with hear arrhythmia and unfortunately i have ectopic heartbeats so thats a no im afraid

How do you overcome your bouts?
Thanks for asking, they stem from (as I discovered last year) previously undiagnosed Inattentive ADHD. Mainly.

The hamster likes to keep running on the wheel, even though I’m on my arse, haha. I did have insomnia due to truly horrendous Restless Leg Syndrome for years, but stopping smoking ceased that. Since then, I believe working nights for a while really messed up my circadian rhythms, and I’ve never truly regained that quality of sleep: it’s usually a struggle to stay asleep for more than a few hours at a time, and then by about 5am I sometimes just give up, as I have to be up at 6:30 for the kids anyway.

Seems you’re doing everything right, in all fairness, mate. There’s nothing to pin it on, from a lifestyle or environmental perspective.

As for the Valerian, perhaps it’s good that I stopped taking it last year, as I too have an ectopic arrhythmia. Didn’t even realise that.

At the minute, I’m using sensory aids like rain sounds, temperature control, sometimes a cold-ish bath or shower (recommended) and a Polish supplemental liquid called Amol, which is quite high in ethanol content, but 6-10 drops of that in 100mls of water usually enables me to actually get off to sleep.

Saddlebrains

Thanks for asking, they stem from (as I discovered last year) previously undiagnosed Inattentive ADHD. Mainly.

The hamster likes to keep running on the wheel, even though I’m on my arse, haha. I did have insomnia due to truly horrendous Restless Leg Syndrome for years, but stopping smoking ceased that. Since then, I believe working nights for a while really messed up my circadian rhythms, and I’ve never truly regained that quality of sleep: it’s usually a struggle to stay asleep for more than a few hours at a time, and then by about 5am I sometimes just give up, as I have to be up at 6:30 for the kids anyway.

Seems you’re doing everything right, in all fairness, mate. There’s nothing to pin it on, from a lifestyle or environmental perspective.

As for the Valerian, perhaps it’s good that I stopped taking it last year, as I too have an ectopic arrhythmia. Didn’t even realise that.

At the minute, I’m using sensory aids like rain sounds, temperature control, sometimes a cold-ish bath or shower (recommended) and a Polish supplemental liquid called Amol, which is quite high in ethanol content, but 6-10 drops of that in 100mls of water usually enables me to actually get off to sleep.

Ah RLS is a killer I've heard it can demoralise you before even going to bed as you just know you will be constantly moving!. Assume that led to sleepless nights a lot?

I've never met anyone who has worked nights who can sleep well, it seems to be the single most common theme of insomnia

I do have generalised anxiety disorder, my doctor has a theory. As i cant pinpoint anything in life causing it due to life being pretty good at the mo tbf, I've spent so long worrying about things, money, kids, work etc in my past that now everything is ok, my brain is actively looking for an issue, as im hard wired at having one, and this is causing it?

Maybe, but i hope yours improves, as i do all of you who have shared your experiences and tips

Users who are viewing this thread