Interesting take on the reality of the promised land (1 Viewer)

djr8369

If we went up next season (or even this!), I'd like to think that MR, his team and the scouting dept would stick to the same principles on signing players who are not only technically decent but are also like you say, nice people.

I'd be pretty certain that we've probably not considered players previously based on how they'd 'not fit in'.

It's so important to keep a happy, inclusive squad.
Look at Man Utd for example!

Yorkshire SB

The US owners would prefer a guaranteed 4 matches per season between for example Liverpool v Man City and lose say Man City v Bournemouth. No doubt the Asian owners would as well, as to them sport is about building franchises and a cartel.
Club fanbases in the PL are very different now. Even at Wolves i was shocked how quiet they were with many fans of theirs seeming foreign tourists. At Wembley we saw how disconnected from their club Man Utd fans are, i had friends in the Man Utd end (they actually are from manchester) and they said loads around them didnt even know who half the Man utd players were!!
The point is what we would have thought unthinkable say 25 years ago is actually not that far fetched as the PL has successfully attracted a whole new type of supporter who wouldnt object to a closed shop.

But the PL can decide, and they're top dog. Why change a model that works.

The PL success, in part, came from (relative to football) equity in terms of revenue splits, all sides received a similar amount of broadcast money. Whereas in Spain and Italy it was and still is disproportionately given to the big clubs. This allowed premier league clubs to all strengthen, not just those at the top, and the league has benefitted from the added competitiveness.

If they do away with relegations it kills off what made it so great. It won't happen. Other European super clubs might try to tempt the big clubs away, but why would they rob Peter to pay Paul - they're already in the super league.

Brighton Sky Blue

But the PL can decide, and they're top dog. Why change a model that works.

The PL success, in part, came from (relative to football) equity in terms of revenue splits, all sides received a similar amount of broadcast money. Whereas in Spain and Italy it was and still is disproportionately given to the big clubs. This allowed premier league clubs to all strengthen, not just those at the top, and the league has benefitted from the added competitiveness.

If they do away with relegations it kills off what made it so great. It won't happen. Other European super clubs might try to tempt the big clubs away, but why would they rob Peter to pay Paul - they're already in the super league.
It isn’t more competitive. Man City will win the title again most likely, the 3 promoted clubs look like going straight back down and in effect several mini leagues have formed within the division.

All it has done is make the top flight harder to access without taking huge risks.

Yorkshire SB

It isn’t more competitive. Man City will win the title again most likely, the 3 promoted clubs look like going straight back down and in effect several mini leagues have formed within the division.

All it has done is make the top flight harder to access without taking huge risks.

Historically it has been (look at Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Madrid/Barce) and mid table PL clubs far stronger than their counterparts in other leagues. Hence more competitive.

Sky Blue Harry H

Getting in the PL should first and foremost enable us to sort out the stadium ownership situation. we need to own it, without the sword of Damacles(Ashley) hanging over our heads. The world of football rarely stands still, and we need to keep moving forwards (if incrementally), otherwise we risk stagnating. Enjoy the good times whilst they are here.

clint van damme

I cba to argue. It’s very mainstream and accepted that the PL is a more competitive league with stronger teams than others in Europe.

So why has the Europa league, which is essentially a best of the rest competition, being won 12 times in the last 20 years by Spanish teams and 3 times by English ones?

Yorkshire SB

So why has the Europa league, which is essentially a best of the rest competition, being won 12 times in the last 20 years by Spanish teams and 3 times by English ones?
Because very few English sides take it seriously when they’re involved. Plus I’m not arguing that it’s been stronger for the last 20 years but it has for the last 6-7 years. The Spanish league was undeniably better in the peak Ronaldo-Messi era.

My original point was that the Premier League became popular partly because money is evenly distributed throughout the league, which has allowed the bottom clubs to become relative behemoths vs. traditionally bigger clubs in other leagues. That is fact. It also made for harder games when top teams played away at 14th in the league. Again, I think that’s a widely accepted view.

This has lead to a more competitive and popular league.

skybluericoh

I think if you only stay up for one season then parachute payments are for two years not three, could be wrong.
Think you are right, 1st season 50 or 55% 2nd 20% if you had been there 2 yrs or more 20% for the 3rd. But if promoted then 0% that season with that share divid between PL

skybluericoh

Historically it has been (look at Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Madrid/Barce) and mid table PL clubs far stronger than their counterparts in other leagues. Hence more competitive.
More competitive? I can name three of the top 4 clubs for the next three seasons at least now, and they have all been knocked out of Europe, how his that competitive? ‘Best league in the world’ is media hype so they can sell it for more money.

Covkid1968#

I think the football pyramid minus the big 6 have more power than they realise. Break away from the top 6 into a new pyramid and leave the big 6 to play each other 4 times a season with no relegation… that would just be hell on earth for them. Tourists for fans, real fans priced out of it would eventually turn to other clubs. The big 6 would basically become a TV show that would get increasingly tedious to watch.

Sky Blue Pete

I think the football pyramid minus the big 6 have more power than they realise. Break away from the top 6 into a new pyramid and leave the big 6 to play each other 4 times a season with no relegation… that would just be hell on earth for them. Tourists for fans, real fans priced out of it would eventually turn to other clubs. The big 6 would basically become a TV show that would get increasingly tedious to watch.
Already are

Yorkshire SB

Based on what? Sky Sports UK and the plastics?
More competitive? I can name three of the top 4 clubs for the next three seasons at least now, and they have all been knocked out of Europe, how his that competitive? ‘Best league in the world’ is media hype so they can sell it for more money.

What are you arguing with?

Premier League miles clear in the UEFA coefficient which measures performance in Europe over the past 5 years.

More winners of the PL in the last decade than La Liga, Ligue une, bundesliga, and the same as Serie A (who prior to that had Juve winning 8 in a row)

Teams in mid table have Champions League squads, it wouldn’t happen in other leagues - look at Wolves, Brighton, West Ham.

Premier league is already the super league, they hold all the cards and won’t elect to change anything.

Blind-Faith

The more time I spend thinking about it the more I actually just want an EFL breakaway league, I'm sure about 10 of the current Prem teams would rather play without the oil and corporation owned clubs too.

I have no idea how that sort of thing will start, but the gap is already too big, and it's only going to widen unless something drastic happens.
This is where I’m starting to get to aswell, fuck the teams off to the European super league and they can have there tv big bucks!

Leave the real football to us and bring back the Saturday games.

Skyblue Bangkok

This is where I’m starting to get to aswell, fuck the teams off to the European super league and they can have there tv big bucks!

Leave the real football to us and bring back the Saturday games.
I'm old enough to remember when we were in the old Div 1 and PL it got a bit boring after a while knowing we would win about 10-12 games a season and most of the time we would be fighting for survival. Of course a lot a lot of the younger fans have never seen us in the PL so I can understand the would like to see us in the PL.

procdoc

Totally agree with this. The sense of entitlement from the relegated clubs on the whole is pretty unsavoury.
I remember our fan base being like this when we got relegated from the premier league. We signed Lee Hughes and some of our fans were predicting we'd walk the league at a canter. I was 19 years old at the time and thought the same, I was so foolish

biggymania

I want us back cos it makes the club sustainable and cos frankly we deserve it.

But I’m not looking forward to the circus at all. The weekend gave me a taste and it’s almost universally shit outside the bits directly to do with the club (40k fans)
💯 the money gained for promotion would be transformational and secure our future. That's pretty much the only reason I care about it. I am not at all excited by the prospect of joining the elite and all that comes with it.

I'd imagine this skews heavily by age/generation of fan though. Those of us who were alive & attending games in the top flight with Cov before, probably more likely to feel like this. If you were born post maybe 1995 or later you just want to see it happen once in your life, which I get. But we have all kept half an eye on Hamer & Sheff Utd and I think we all know how miserable that is.

biggymania

I remember our fan base being like this when we got relegated from the premier league. We signed Lee Hughes and some of our fans were predicting we'd walk the league at a canter. I was 19 years old at the time and thought the same, I was so foolish
You are describing me to a tee here. At Stockport County, our first league game after relegation I remember thinking this would be a fun season. A chance to clear out and rebuild. It's been almost a quarter of a century since that day 🤣 .

Diogenes

Think we started that season with a 2-0 win away at stockport(?) And thought we were going to piss it. Was then at the wolves game first home game of the season and they did us 1-0 and brought us back to earth. Little did we know it was going to get far, far worse.

skybluericoh

W
What are you arguing with?

Premier League miles clear in the UEFA coefficient which measures performance in Europe over the past 5 years.

More winners of the PL in the last decade than La Liga, Ligue une, bundesliga, and the same as Serie A (who prior to that had Juve winning 8 in a row)

Teams in mid table have Champions League squads, it wouldn’t happen in other leagues - look at Wolves, Brighton, West Ham.

Premier league is already the super league, they hold all the cards and won’t elect to change anything.
hat I’m on about is the top three will be either Man City, arsenal or Liverpool for the next three seasons, 4th place will come from either villa, Chelsea, spurs or Man U.
even Newcastle with their billionaire owners cannot break through.
I know it’s all about opinion, but wolves, West Ham - European cup squads? Don’t think so but I don’t know as I don’t really watch it.
for me £££ has ruined the PL. The relegation fight is more exciting than the top. Might be because those teams are more relevant to me as they will be the ones we’re more likely playing next season.

Skyblue Bangkok

I think when I saw us lose at home to Wolves that it was going to be a struggle. It's good to be young and foolish .

ccfctommy

I want us back cos it makes the club sustainable and cos frankly we deserve it.

But I’m not looking forward to the circus at all. The weekend gave me a taste and it’s almost universally shit outside the bits directly to do with the club (40k fans)

the Wolves game was an eye opener for me.

The five minute VAR delay, the keeper feigning injury for a tactical break. All of the incessant diving.

biggymania

Only if it was used correctly.
Plenty of clubs have had their noses in the trough and are still financial basket cases reliant on bail outs from rich owners.
Yes. I think we can be reasonably confident that the current ownership is looking to build a sustainable future. The risk of course is that inevitably your current owners may be tempted by the frankly insane fees people are paying for Premiership "franchises" and then you end up in the clutches of hedge funds, sports conglomerates, oligarchs and nation states.

skybluericoh

I remember the drive to and from Stockport, thinking how great it would be having a season where we could go to games expecting to win. Just didn’t realise what a financial mess we were in.
Sometimes wish we had done a Leicester, but then my morales kick in. (Thanks so much mum and dad). And so although it cost us a bounce back, the fire sale was the right thing to do. Should not put other hard working people’s businesses at risk because we **** up.

torchomatic

Cov fans in 2001 (me included) coping that going down would be a good thing to see some new grounds, rebuild the team and win more than we lose was the absolute gigacope of all time.
I remember going to that first game at Stockport, leaving the ground and saying to my mate, "we're gonna piss this league".

Twenty-three years later...

Users who are viewing this thread