International break including WC playoffs (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

The last couple of England managers have said they will pick players on form, including Southgate. By that reckoning Harry Maguire should be nowhere near the squad as he has had a terrible season

Also funny how Grealish is in the team more when at Man City but wasn't when he was at the top of his game at Villa

Nothing changes

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wingy

I can't think of one major error he's made for England though.

Some players are just more suited to the international game
I might be wrong here but I feel it's almost the converse situation in comparison to John Stones .
My personal opinion is that it's all about the dynamics at Man Utd.

Otis

The last couple of England managers have said they will pick players on form, including Southgate. By that reckoning Harry Maguire should be nowhere near the squad as he has had a terrible season

Also funny how Grealish is in the team more when at Man City but wasn't when he was at the top of his game at Villa

Nothing changes

To be fair, Southgate always seemed unsure as to where Grealish would fit into the side, even when he first went to Man City.

Southgate is in love with Mount and also really rates Foden and Rice, so it is at times hard fro Grealish to find a place in the England line-up.

Liquid Gold

Nothing changes

Grealish moving to Citeh means he's now playing regular Champions League football so has experience of better players and bigger occasions than at Villa. He was in the squad anyway so I don't see why that would change.

Who would you have picked in his place?

Ccfcisparks

To be fair, Southgate always seemed unsure as to where Grealish would fit into the side, even when he first went to Man City.

Southgate is in love with Mount and also really rates Foden and Rice, so it is at times hard fro Grealish to find a place in the England line-up.
Its clear our best 2 and the 2 we should be playing for the foreseeable should be Bellingham and Rice. If Kane is a guaranteed selection up top, theres 3 places to fight out for. Think Foden should be 1, Sterling likely another and its hard to discount Saka from the argument too, we are very fortunate in those attacking positions.

Liquid Gold

I might be wrong here but I feel it's almost the converse situation in comparison to John Stones .
My personal opinion is that it's all about the dynamics at Man Utd.
Stones is one of those more modern defenders that is basically a holding midfielder that plays at the back because he's tall and can head.

I don't think you need them so much at international level with the slower pace of the game and just being a big strong lump (Maguire, Bonucci etc.) is enough

Otis

Its clear our best 2 and the 2 we should be playing for the foreseeable should be Bellingham and Rice. If Kane is a guaranteed selection up top, theres 3 places to fight out for. Think Foden should be 1, Sterling likely another and its hard to discount Saka from the argument too, we are very fortunate in those attacking positions.
It will be Mount though. He is a Southgate favourite.

I don't think he's done particularly well for England myself. Done really well at club level, but hasn't shine that brightly for England. I much prefer Foden to Mount.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nothing changes

It's also still the case that having appeared for the U21's will get you a leg up to the first team more than being a good player who's worked their way up.

Frostie

Booing is OTT, but it bewilders me how he still has a starting place considering he seems to make a mistake for man united every week

Maguire is a very good centre back, exceptional in the air & uses the ball brilliantly. Unfortunately he also has glaring weaknesses, particularly with regards his pace/agility.

For United he plays in a system which doesn't play to his strengths at all & actually exposes his weaknesses massively. They allow midfield runners to get up against their Centre Backs & he can be ripped apart by someone with pace & skill.

He has never let England down though & we are a lot more pragmatic about playing to players strengths. Southgate was slaughtered for his use of defensive midfielders but the systems we use & players like Rice allow Maguire to flourish.

CovBrummie94

Nothing changes

Southgate has never really picked on form. He has always had his favourites.

Frostie

Southgate has never really picked on form. He has always had his favourites.

I don't see a problem with that tbh.
I think you have to keep players around that you know can play the styles, systems & tactics you want & won't let you down.

If Southgate picked purely on form Sterling wouldn't have played much/at all at the Euros & ended up being arguably the tournament's best player. Pickford arguably wouldn't have played either & was exceptional.

If the public had their way & there were no "favourites" Alan Shearer wouldn't have played at Euro 96.

CovBrummie94

I don't see a problem with that tbh.
I think you have to keep players around that you know can play the styles, systems & tactics you want & won't let you down.

If Southgate picked purely on form Sterling wouldn't have played much/at all at the Euros & ended up being arguably the tournament's best player. Pickford arguably wouldn't have played either & was exceptional.

If the public had their way & there were no "favourites" Alan Shearer wouldn't have played at Euro 96.

No I don't think it's a problem. I'm happy for the likes of Pickford and Maguire to be selected as they've never let us down and always perform when called upon.

It will become an issue for Southgate if the success stops. People will use his selection of out of form "favourites" as a stick to beat him with, but that's just part of football management I guess.

My biggest concern with England is Southgate's tendency to be more defensive in the big games and that will stop us ever winning a major tournament with him as manager.

CJ_covblaze

Nothing changes

And his form for the team Southgate is picking him for has been very good. He’s never let his country down and he should be be in the team.

Otis

I think our issue is that we're generally very weak at the back in every position.
Not sure on that. James is excellent at right back and Shaw at left back. I think they are both top players.

We then also have Kyle Walker and Trent Alexander-Armstrong and Kieran Tripper.

At the left back we have Ben Chilwell.

It's the centre where we are weaker I think. The centre backs. No-one is looking top class there really. This is why Maguire plays.

CCFCSteve

Southgate was right, to boo a player before and apparently early on when on the ball, is idiotic at best. If Maguire consistently fucked up for England you could understand some annoyance at him being picked but he hasn’t.

Agree with some of the comments above, at league level I’m not particularly a fan of Pickford or Maguire but both have been very good for England in recent years

I think Bellingham might edge Mount out for final midfield place in team. I like Mount but I’ll be disappointed if Southgate shoehorns him into front three to accommodate him as it will be at the expense of Foden or Grealish…which would diminish our attacking threat

We’ve got some great options in midfield and attack though…could be exciting times if everyone’s fit

Evo1883

Harry maguire is bang average , good in the air il give him that , his positional awareness is shockingly bad , once he's turned with pace he's knackered in or outside the box ..

Sorry but Gareth has his favourites and Maguire is one of them ..

Liquid Gold

Harry maguire is nmbang average , good in the air il give him that , his positional awareness is shockingly bad , once he's turned with pace he's knackered im or outside the box ..

Sorry but Gareth has his favourites and Maguire is one of them
Who do you pick instead of him though?

Evo1883

Who do you pick instead of him though?

Well , that's a shocking state of affairs If it's maguire or bust eh .

Not sure tbh .

Let's be honest in 90% of England matches the defence does very little as England dominate the ball , when people says he never let's England down , you could put me there and I wouldn't let them down ..

His job at club level shows you the defender he is .

Liquid Gold

Well , that's a shocking state of affairs If it's maguire or bust eh .

Not sure tbh .

Let's be honest in 90% of England matches the defence does very little as England dominate the ball , when people says he never let's England down , you could put me there and I wouldn't let them down ..

His job at club level shows you the defender he is .
I think part of that is playing the midfield holding the way we do to protect them.

Evo1883

I don't know, even the next tier of players like Mings gives me no confidence.

Either way booing him was bang out of order.

OK I agree not mings either , yea not a fan of booing but fans are rightly frustrated the manager is not picking players like he said he would

Evo1883

Basically Southgate has entrenched himself in the " doesn't matter how shit maguire is week in week out , he will play for England " camp and I'm not happy with that either tbh

The lads almost 30 and won absolutely nothing , Southgate treats him like prime maldini

Last edited:

SBAndy

Basically Southgate has entrenched himself in the " doesn't matter how shit maguire is week in week out , he will play for England " camp and I'm not happy with that either tbh

The lads almost 30 and won absolutely nothing , Southgate treats him like prime maldini

Behave.

stupot07

It will be Mount though. He is a Southgate favourite.

I don't think he's done particularly well for England myself. Done really well at club level, but hasn't shine that brightly for England. I much prefer Foden to Mount.

Agree with that. He seems to have an almost obsessive favouritism about Mount. Good player, but has been really average for England. Foden is just pure class and should be the first name on the teamsheet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread