iPhone help for an android user (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

Struggled for a title for this thread!

Basically my boy is getting to the age where he needs a phone. He isn't 13 yet so can't have a full account and I'd like to set some parental controls.

He has been gifted an old iPhone but the problem is neither me or my partner have Apple phones or accounts.

Has anyone had any experience in setting up a kids Apple phone via Android?

I'm a bit lost, done Google searches but can't seem to get the right info. Is it possible to have a dummy iCloud account that we can monitor him through?

Looks like I could set up an adult account for him on the sly and then get a 3rd party app to monitor him but seems like a last resort.

Any advice would be great

stay_up_skyblues

I’m a dunce and unaware of anyway of monitoring through a non-Apple device. However, we had a similar problem years ago and just bought an old, old iPhone from shpock for around £40 and set the kids up on theirs through that. Didn’t need a contract/sim from memory, just used it from the Wi-Fi.

stay_up_skyblues

You’re other option is to require a password he doesn’t know to download any and all apps. That way you can choose the apps. Not sure that offers any restrictions on web browsing through, over and above the restrictions you can put on through your internet provider.

Alkhen

You’re other option is to require a password he doesn’t know to download any and all apps. That way you can choose the apps. Not sure that offers any restrictions on web browsing through, over and above the restrictions you can put on through your internet provider.
Look like a good option for now. As I expected Apple don't make things easy, very much a closed shop with their tech. Gets a lot easier if you have another Apple device. May look at picking up a cheap iPad at some point.

Main thing I want to be able to do is check where he is with a tracker. He'll start secondary school this year and needs a bit of independence. Pretty sure there is a function in the Google apps for that.

stay_up_skyblues

Look like a good option for now. As I expected Apple don't make things easy, very much a closed shop with their tech. Gets a lot easier if you have another Apple device. May look at picking up a cheap iPad at some point.

Main thing I want to be able to do is check where he is with a tracker. He'll start secondary school this year and needs a bit of independence. Pretty sure there is a function in the Google apps for that.

Have a look at Pingo, I use that to track my daughter and it is purely app based. As the apps are on both android and apple it might work cross device?

Alkhen

Update: traded it in CEX and got an Android phone instead! Basically it looks like you have to have a second iPhone or tablet running the same IOS as the phone you want parental controls over... They deffo want to herd you in to upgrades and all on to one platform which isn't going to work for our needs.

Users who are viewing this thread