Ipswich Fan In Peace (1 Viewer)

ITFCFan123

Excuse me for my ignorance but what has your owner done so badly? From what I can see things obviously haven’t worked out but he’s still pumped loads of money in. If I’m playing devils advocate it looks like another set of fans expecting an owner to just give it up and walk away if things don’t go to plan writing off the money they’ve put it.

There are two sides to this, many say what you do, he puts money in, he pays the debt. I understand that saying Evans out, means nothing if nobody wants to buy us.

When ME took over, we were 9th in the championship about 5 points of playoffs, Jim Magilton, club legend was in charge. He gave Magilton. no money to get us over the line, when by a player at the times admission, we were a couple signings away from being a seriously good team. Instead he sacked Jim by text after beating Norwich (our last win against them) and got a hard on over the thought of Roy Keane. Keane came in and Evans gave him the money to spend after not backing Jim, Keane spaffed it all away, he gets sacked. He hires Paul Jewell, top bloke, rubbish manager, nearly gets us relegated with ME still spaffing his money on rubbish. Then he brings in Mick, a top manager, great appointment, and gives him no money to spend. January 2015 we sit top of the league, do we bring anyone in to strengthen, nope, Marcus didn't want to spend the money. We eventually get injuries, and have limited back up, finish 6th. That Summer he needed to give Mick funds to back it up, he didn't. Things go pear shaped, he hangs Mick out to the dry. In come Paul hurst, good appointment seemingly, but Evans let him decimate that squad, we get relegated, in comes Paul number 3, Paul Lambert. We go down with a whimper, somehow manage to get ourselves top 6 in January, we needed to strengthen, but it was Groundhog Day. No money spent, and now our squad is threadbare.

In all this time we had as outgoings, Mings 8 million, Cresswell 4 million, Webster 3.5 million, Wickham 8 million, Waghorn 8 million etc etc. We haven't broke our transfer record which was set in 2001.
We have had one interview from ME

He isn't the worst owner ever. Yourselves, Blackpool, Charlton among others have had it worse. But if you look at where we were when he came in, to where we are now the decline is huge. Every fan thinks there club is the best club in the world. We are a decent sized club who has overachieved but I think as fans we deserve better than what we are getting no, and Marcus Evans' apathy and lack of football knowledge has caused this 10 year decline and it is only getting worse. The phrase should be "wake up or sell up"

Liquid Gold

There are two sides to this, many say what you do, he puts money in, he pays the debt. I understand that saying Evans out, means nothing if nobody wants to buy us.

When ME took over, we were 9th in the championship about 5 points of playoffs, Jim Magilton, club legend was in charge. He gave Magilton. no money to get us over the line, when by a player at the times admission, we were a couple signings away from being a seriously good team. Instead he sacked Jim by text after beating Norwich (our last win against them) and got a hard on over the thought of Roy Keane. Keane came in and Evans gave him the money to spend after not backing Jim, Keane spaffed it all away, he gets sacked. He hires Paul Jewell, top bloke, rubbish manager, nearly gets us relegated with ME still spaffing his money on rubbish. Then he brings in Mick, a top manager, great appointment, and gives him no money to spend. January 2015 we sit top of the league, do we bring anyone in to strengthen, nope, Marcus didn't want to spend the money. We eventually get injuries, and have limited back up, finish 6th. That Summer he needed to give Mick funds to back it up, he didn't. Things go pear shaped, he hangs Mick out to the dry. In come Paul hurst, good appointment seemingly, but Evans let him decimate that squad, we get relegated, in comes Paul number 3, Paul Lambert. We go down with a whimper, somehow manage to get ourselves top 6 in January, we needed to strengthen, but it was Groundhog Day. No money spent, and now our squad is threadbare.

In all this time we had as outgoings, Mings 8 million, Cresswell 4 million, Webster 3.5 million, Wickham 8 million, Waghorn 8 million etc etc. We haven't broke our transfer record which was set in 2001.
We have had one interview from ME

He isn't the worst owner ever. Yourselves, Blackpool, Charlton among others have had it worse. But if you look at where we were when he came in, to where we are now the decline is huge. Every fan thinks there club is the best club in the world. We are a decent sized club who has overachieved but I think as fans we deserve better than what we are getting no, and Marcus Evans' apathy and lack of football knowledge has caused this 10 year decline and it is only getting worse. The phrase should be "wake up or sell up"
Thanks. As I said, this is coming out of ignorance more than anything else.

What could he do now to put things right?

Mucca Mad Boys

Where did you have yourself out of interest ?

Our manager was talking about promotion in pre-season, that was the ‘aim’.

Without being Mark Robins, my guess would be that would be via playoffs. The likes of yourselves, Sunderland, Rotherham and Pompey (at least) all in seemingly stronger positions than ourselves, automatic promotions wasn’t an expectation at all.

Going into this season, having lost a lot of players, some key loanees and an exile to Birmingham - most of us would’ve snapped someone’s hand off for 6th place.

Changing to 3-5-2 against Fleetwood at home in October is the defining moment in our season. We’ve lost once since then.

ITFCFan123

Thanks. As I said, this is coming out of ignorance more than anything else.

What could he do now to put things right?

Outline a new plan and stick to it. Explain what is going on with the money we made from players. Explain why managers keep failing talk us through what has gone wrong. We just want to be in the loop I think

ITFCFan123

Our manager was talking about promotion in pre-season, that was the ‘aim’.

Without being Mark Robins, my guess would be that would be via playoffs. The likes of yourselves, Sunderland, Rotherham and Pompey (at least) all in seemingly stronger positions than ourselves, automatic promotions wasn’t an expectation at all.

Going into this season, having lost a lot of players, some key loanees and an exile to Birmingham - most of us would’ve snapped someone’s hand off for 6th place.

Changing to 3-5-2 against Fleetwood at home in October is the defining moment in our season. We’ve lost once since then.

Loads of teams like to play this now. We failed at it. So I am interested to see it work well

Mucca Mad Boys

Loads of teams like to play this now. We failed at it. So I am interested to see it work well

Perhaps you’ll get the right personnel to play it next season with or without Lambert in charge! We tried 3-4-3 in League 2 and last season, if I recall correctly, and that didn’t work for us then.

This season we were lead into playing 3-4-2-1 because all our wingers and strikers were injured, whilst having 5-6 really strong central midfielders. Thankfully it worked out really well and credit to Robins for being adaptable.

Liquid Gold

We started the season playing 4-3-3 and didn't lose in the first 10 games but then a couple of injuries and players falling out of favour/form forced the change. It wouldn't work at all without the energy of the wing backs, I've also never seen 4 central midfielders work so well.

smileycov

Facebook User
So lambert gone and confirmed. What are the rumours to Warnock coming in? Could you hang on and get Russel Slade until Sunday please.

Mucca Mad Boys

With all of Ipswich’s injuries, I think Lambert could probably count himself a bit unlucky. That said, has he been successful anywhere since Norwich?

Off the top of my head, I can’t really think of anywhere else he’s made a big impact.

ITFCFan123

With all of Ipswich’s injuries, I think Lambert could probably count himself a bit unlucky. That said, has he been successful anywhere since Norwich?

Off the top of my head, I can’t really think of anywhere else he’s made a big impact.

Nope not since Norwich. He is a good man manager by all accounts but he relied heavily on Culverhouse at Norwich in terms of coaching.

ITFCFan123

So lambert gone and confirmed. What are the rumours to Warnock coming in? Could you hang on and get Russel Slade until Sunday please.

From my understanding and I have done some digging today with people who know more than me, Evans isn't keen to sack Lambert, not just because of the pay off but also as he sees this as a long term project. The good start probably counted against us, as he didn't think our fans would be this miffed if we didn't make the play offs (he really isn't a football guy). However, the fan reaction after seeing this complete capitulation has worried him, as he doesn't want it to turn how it did at the end of Micks time. I fully expect Lambert to go at the end of this season , a loss on Saturday and I recommend you have at look at our north stand when the players go to clap them, it wont be good and Evans sits very close to that. This could easily be his last game if we lose.

Some names being thrown about as the next man who fans want are;
Kieron Dyer with George Burley overseeing him
Nathan Jones
Maurice Steijn
John Mcgreal
Karl Robinson
Mark Robins *Although many of us concede this wouldn't happen*
Gus Poyet

They seem to be the most common names I see.

Liquid Gold

From my understanding and I have done some digging today with people who know more than me, Evans isn't keen to sack Lambert, not just because of the pay off but also as he sees this as a long term project. The good start probably counted against us, as he didn't think our fans would be this miffed if we didn't make the play offs (he really isn't a football guy). However, the fan reaction after seeing this complete capitulation has worried him, as he doesn't want it to turn how it did at the end of Micks time. I fully expect Lambert to go at the end of this season , a loss on Saturday and I recommend you have at look at our north stand when the players go to clap them, it wont be good and Evans sits very close to that. This could easily be his last game if we lose.

Some names being thrown about as the next man who fans want are;
Kieron Dyer with George Burley overseeing him
Nathan Jones
Maurice Steijn
John Mcgreal
Karl Robinson
Mark Robins *Although many of us concede this wouldn't happen*
Gus Poyet

They seem to be the most common names I see.
Mark Robins is magic, he wears a magic hat
He could have gone to Sunderland but he said “no, fuck that”
Their football team is shocking, their cheesy chips are shite
And when we get promotion, we’ll sing this song all night.

if you even try you can replace Sunderland for Ipswich and cheesy chips for tractors.

ITFCFan123

if you even try you can replace Sunderland for Ipswich and cheesy chips for tractors.

I may have come here in peace, but do not insult my tractor.

HerneBayGaz

Shame our fans didn't sing that song more on Sunday. And really rub it in.

Grendel

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Ipswich - in the end the fans demanded getting rid of McCarthy as he wasn’t playing the Ipswich way

So hopefully it’s better football now Ipswich. If McCarthy has stayed the club wouldn’t have been relegated - even last season fans were contacting 5 live saying the football was a breath of fresh air - Sutton obviously was pissing himself laughing

smileycov

Facebook User
So everyone, must be having "a senior moment" I was certain I had seen it as confirmed.
Apologies. But when it happens Saturday, I will delete this bit!!

ITFCFan123

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Ipswich - in the end the fans demanded getting rid of McCarthy as he wasn’t playing the Ipswich way

So hopefully it’s better football now Ipswich. If McCarthy has stayed the club wouldn’t have been relegated - even last season fans were contacting 5 live saying the football was a breath of fresh air - Sutton obviously was pissing himself laughing

We probably wouldn't be no. However, sometimes in life you have to take risks. What else were we to do, keep Mick forever until he decides to retire. We weren't going backwards but we were stood completely still.

As I said elsewhere in the thread, we just appointed the wrong man to follow on from Mick. I also stand by the fact it is very easy to have that narrative if you didn't watch Ipswich regularly. We are a patient and I think a pretty tame group of fans. But it gets to a point when you just need a change, we reached that point.

Liquid Gold

We probably wouldn't be no. However, sometimes in life you have to take risks. What else were we to do, keep Mick forever until he decides to retire. We weren't going backwards but we were stood completely still.

As I said elsewhere in the thread, we just appointed the wrong man to follow on from Mick. I also stand by the fact it is very easy to have that narrative if you didn't watch Ipswich regularly. We are a patient and I think a pretty tame group of fans. But it gets to a point when you just need a change, we reached that point.
Then as you wanted that change I don’t see where the issue with the owner is.

ITFCFan123

Then as you wanted that change I don’t see where the issue with the owner is.

We only wanted that change because he didn't back Mick. Every Ipswich fan would concede that Mick did a good job at Ipswich. If Evans gave Mick money we would've got up. The problem was Mick was just treading along at the end with his lack of funds. It was inevitable that with the constant lack of investment we would end up here. If he had cash, Mick would probably still be here, but he was never going to get that and we weren't going anywhere so we just had to take a risk. Bare in mind the money that Evans received in transfer funds whilst Mick was here, it has just completely vanished.

TownFan81

Lambert cannot count himself unlucky.

We have an enormous squad for this level. We have had injuries but the depth to cover them is embarrassing. Andre Dozzell is constantly linked to Premier League clubs and he's not even been on the bench at times and when he has he's barely come on. We have players with squad numbers as high as 55.

Norwood has only just got injured having had a spell out earlier, Vincent-Young has missed a lot through injury and we've lost Huws and Bishop at times to injury but aside from that we've had what you'd say are 14 of our best 18 fit for most of the season.

We have taken 21 points from 22 games because of Lambert. Earlier in the season when we were flying he was continually dropping people for no reason, even after they'd scored.

Just look at how frequently our keepers changed in LEAGUE matches when we were doing well. He dropped Tomas Holy for no reason, after he'd kept 6 clean sheets in 11 and not put a foot wrong and then stuck with Will Norris despite several big mistakes. He brings Holy back for Wycombe, a top of the table clash and Holy was superb, saving a late penalty in a 0-0 draw and the next game Holy is dropped again! This is the keepers.

So imagine what he's done with outfield players. We've had players get man of the match and get dropped for a match the following weekend, not even mid-week. Players don't feel like if they play well they will keep their place. They are as likely to keep it after a poor performance than lose it after a good one which is abysmal man management and why he's lost the players.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Lambert cannot count himself unlucky.

We have an enormous squad for this level. We have had injuries but the depth to cover them is embarrassing. Andre Dozzell is constantly linked to Premier League clubs and he's not even been on the bench at times and when he has he's barely come on. We have players with squad numbers as high as 55.

Norwood has only just got injured having had a spell out earlier, Vincent-Young has missed a lot through injury and we've lost Huws and Bishop at times to injury but aside from that we've had what you'd say are 14 of our best 18 fit for most of the season.

We have taken 21 points from 22 games because of Lambert. Earlier in the season when we were flying he was continually dropping people for no reason, even after they'd scored.

Just look at how frequently our keepers changed in LEAGUE matches when we were doing well. He dropped Tomas Holy for no reason, after he'd kept 6 clean sheets in 11 and not put a foot wrong and then stuck with Will Norris despite several big mistakes. He brings Holy back for Wycombe, a top of the table clash and Holy was superb, saving a late penalty in a 0-0 draw and the next game Holy is dropped again! This is the keepers.

So imagine what he's done with outfield players. We've had players get man of the match and get dropped for a match the following weekend, not even mid-week. Players don't feel like if they play well they will keep their place. They are as likely to keep it after a poor performance than lose it after a good one which is abysmal man management and why he's lost the players.

What's Dozzell like as a player? I recall a few stories suggesting he had potential and was being looked at by big clubs so was surprised to see him hardly feature for you lot?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember Ipswich mainly from the 1970's. Always a hard team to play against back then, with players such as Mick Mills, John Wark, Paul Mariner, Brian Talbot, Alan Brazil, Terry Butcher and Gerry Baker. The last three mentioned also had a spell at Coventry (Butcher being the manager as well).

Jcap

I remember Ipswich mainly from the 1970's. Always a hard team to play against back then, with players such as Mick Mills, John Wark, Paul Mariner, Brian Talbot, Alan Brazil, Terry Butcher and Gerry Baker. The last three mentioned also had a spell at Coventry (Butcher being the manager as well).
Don’t forget the Dutch guys and didn’t they have a really good keeper back then?

TownFan81

We only wanted that change because he didn't back Mick. Every Ipswich fan would concede that Mick did a good job at Ipswich. If Evans gave Mick money we would've got up. The problem was Mick was just treading along at the end with his lack of funds. It was inevitable that with the constant lack of investment we would end up here. If he had cash, Mick would probably still be here, but he was never going to get that and we weren't going anywhere so we just had to take a risk. Bare in mind the money that Evans received in transfer funds whilst Mick was here, it has just completely vanished.

The key thing for people to understand, as clearly you do as a fellow Town fan, is that Mick took over a team that had 7 points in November and was going down.

He made us difficult to score against and difficult to beat and the football was awful but we didn't care because we got results. After 3 seasons of terrible football, we got into the playoffs largely off the back of Daryl Murphy hitting nearly 30 goals and the rest of the team being hard working and solid.

Mid way through the 6 years though fans wanted more. We started the next season playing beautiful flowing football and lost 3-2 at home to Brighton in a top of the table clash where both teams were superb. We then lost 5-1 at Reading in a match where we were probably the better side and everything they hit went in and that was it. Back to defensive, terrible football.

As seasons went by of finishing 12th - 17th with no excitement at all and no joy in attending matches, fans started to leave. Attendances dropped from 20,000 to 14,000 and some nights there were no more than 9,000 in the ground with the season ticket holders announced at 12,000. Everyone was bored. McCarthy didn't like criticism of his style of play and took pops at the fans who hit back and so it began.

Mick should have left a year earlier than he did. The relationship turned toxic, people stopped going and his approach was best summed up by an October meeting with Rotherham who had 1 point away from home all season and were rock bottom. We played 8 defensive players (at home) and drew 2-2 thanks to a last gasp McGoldrick equaliser.

Mick had to go. He did a wonderful job of making us hard to beat with no style whatsoever which was what we needed, but 5 years on you can't be playing for a point against the whipping boys at home. We'd often not have a shot until 70 minutes!

The mistakes were not backing Mick when he had us top in December 2014 because he'd have got us over the line and then allowing Hurst to come in, sell off several star players and replace the whole squad with League One stars. He massively underestimated the Championship.

Under Mick we'd have never gone down but the soul of the club would have been stripped away and we'd have 8,000 there now bored to death. Change was needed. We just appointed the wrong man to replace him.

ITFCFan123

What's Dozzell like as a player? I recall a few stories suggesting he had potential and was being looked at by big clubs so was surprised to see him hardly feature for you lot?

I would play him every week. He is a serious prospect I believe and has featured and captained at loads of English youth levels. He had a serious injury that set him back and he hasn't really managed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He has talent, really good passer of the ball, fantastic vision and can cut teams apart with a pass if he chooses to, he just needs to dig in a bit more.

He hasn't signed a contract and if what I am told is true, may well end up at Norwich next season, which would be depressing yet not surprising.

Liquid Gold

I would play him every week. He is a serious prospect I believe and has featured and captained at loads of English youth levels. He had a serious injury that set him back and he hasn't really managed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He has talent, really good passer of the ball, fantastic vision and can cut teams apart with a pass if he chooses to, he just needs to dig in a bit more.

He hasn't signed a contract and if what I am told is true, may well end up at Norwich next season, which would be depressing yet not surprising.
We know what it’s like to be Norwich’s feeder club.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Presumably you'd get a bit of compo for him if he turned down an improved offer prior to leaving? I'm not sure we'd be able to prise players away from the bigger L1 sides who don't get promoted but Dozzell would fit our model of picking up younger players to sell on at a later date.

Jcap

Muhren and Thijssen. Fantastic footballers.

Paul Cooper would've been keeper.
That’s the ones. They were absolutely worldy - couldn’t help but like watching Ipswich with them playing. Was so happy when they beat Arse in the cup final 78. Beattie scored right?

Users who are viewing this thread