is allardyce right?? (1 Viewer)

tisza

says it's not up to him to tell Rooney where he should be playing as Rooney has more caps etc. surely the point of a manager is pick the side and say how it should play. is it any wonder this side is short of goals when one of the main attackers can go walkabout when he feels like it?

ConnorDevine

he's not a main attacker anymore though.

Look how well Pirlo played when he was given a free role for italy, he ran the show from deep and was difficult to stop because he had a licence to roam into different areas so no one was ever really man marking him and when they were they were liable to be drawn from their position, in principle Rooney should offer something of that sorts, just further up the pitch. Although I do agree, some needs to have a word after last night because he was absent

Terry Gibson's perm

says it's not up to him to tell Rooney where he should be playing as Rooney has more caps etc. surely the point of a manager is pick the side and say how it should play. is it any wonder this side is short of goals when one of the main attackers can go walkabout when he feels like it?

If that is the case Rooney may as well pick the team as well.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well after this revelation I guess we will know next time out if Colleen's name suddenly appears in the next squad.

Got to be honest didn't even watch it not a big fan of international football, club football gets on my nerves enough especially this club.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just back from a great holiday in Crete and whilst there read Big Sam's autobiography. Interesting read and a couple of things I took from it are
- Confident in his ability
- tells it straight and quite bluntly, but is measured in what he says, and understands why he is saying it
- good with the psychology of handling players and others
- thinks long term not short term fix - will take time to develop things
- is quite single minded and his ultimate dream was to become England manager - not sure there will have been anyone more proud of being England manager

I would think what he is saying is that Rooney wants to play a deeper position and doesn't have the pace as he gets older to hold on to the forward position. At the moment Rooney has far more international experience than anyone else in what is a young developing side so is captain. That experience is key to Rooney being in the side but also to building the side itself. In that sense for now Rooney is accommodated, the crunch will come when other younger players get enough international experience. It suits Big Sam to build up Rooney, but it would be wrong to think anyone other that Allardyce has the final say in team matters - it is not how he operates, and doesn't fit in with his personality

skybluegod

I think the BBC have played on his words little bit, he actually said, that before the match, Rooney and Henderson, were meant to alternate roles, and break into space to attack at different times, but as his isn't how it worked out, and he cannot tell Rooney how to play and when to make runs and when not to, as Rooney has been playing for England for over a decade and knows what he is doing, and so it is in that sense that Sam means he can't tell him where to play.

Covstu

I think it was referring to the rigidity of his role rather than he can do as he wishes.

Martin84

Sounds to me like he is showing a little trust in his players instead of having natural talent coached out of them, fair play to him

Reactions: vow

Gazolba

If Rooney is influencing Allardyce, we are in big trouble.
He never should have made Rooney captain.
He should pick the team and then name a captain from the team.

Martin84

If Rooney is influencing Allardyce, we are in big trouble.
He never should have made Rooney captain.
He should pick the team and then name a captain from the team.
Who else in this team should be captain then? Rooney is past his best but he has more experience than anyone in the team, he was won everything at club level, has been in the England team long enough, and he also has that connection between the few experienced lads and the inexperienced. For me he is the only captain. The best candidate we currently have

SkyBlue_Bear83

If Allardyce had a problem or was unhappy with how Rooney played the role he wouldn't be shy to make his feelings known.

Covstu

Who else in this team should be captain then? Rooney is past his best but he has more experience than anyone in the team, he was won everything at club level, has been in the England team long enough, and he also has that connection between the few experienced lads and the inexperienced. For me he is the only captain. The best candidate we currently have
Sad but true I think we have potential in stones, dier and maybe llanna though

skybluetony176

If Rooney had anything about him he'd have quit international football after the Euros. Most over rated player to pull on an England top in my opinion and shouldn't be putting the manager in this position.

covmark

If Rooney had anything about him he'd have quit international football after the Euros. Most over rated player to pull on an England top in my opinion and shouldn't be putting the manager in this position.
He's scored over 50 goals and is the country's all time leading scorer, but yeah he's the most overrated player to pull on an England top.
Jesus wept.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

He's scored over 50 goals and is the country's all time leading scorer, but yeah he's the most overrated player to pull on an England top.
Jesus wept.

How many goals has he been gifted through penalties and set pieces? How many has he scored when it matters? He's way overdue retirement IMO.

covmark

How many goals has he been gifted through penalties and set pieces? How many has he scored when it matters? He's way overdue retirement IMO.
He may be due to retire but that doesn't make him overrated.
He's scored 7 penalties out of 53 goals, and how can scoring from a set piece be gifted?

vow

I think that's why big Sam said what he did, if it goes tits up he can blame the player(s).
He's been quite clever in his staement I feel.

Gazolba

Rooney is not half the player Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker was. In any case, how can you use his goal-scoring record as an argument to play him in midfield?

CJ_covblaze

No problem with the captain helping with picking the team. It's been that way for some time in the set up. Should be noted that if the manager had listened to Rooney against Iceland we probably would've won that game.

Users who are viewing this thread