Is this the best squad since Premiership ??? (1 Viewer)

Not wishing to get too carried away after just a few games but I do detect a major uplift in skill, fitness, attitude and commitment from our boys in blue. Scoring for fun, end to end attacking and heads not dropping seems to have been instilled into the squad by SP such that we are now a genuine force to be reckoned with.

The squad albeit short of numbers is significantly better than previous squads as far back as the premiership where we have had to accept dire performances and lack of entertainment for many seasons.

Am I a tad too generous in my assessment or do we have genuine credentials to consider ourselves to have one of the best squads in this league ???

pusbccfc

Nope. I think we would struggle in the championship with this side.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk now Free

DazzleTommyDazzle

I think that the team is playing very well at present - I'm worried about the depth of the squad.

Remember Bobby Gould's first year as manager - pretty much all the established players left and we were odds on for relegation.

We had a fantastic start to the season and after beating Liverpool 4-0 we were (I think) 4th - however, the bubble burst after Xmas and we had to win our last game of the season to stay up.

I hope that won't be the case this time, but I do worry about the impact of a crop of injuries and/or suspensions.

Nonleagueherewecome

No, but it's playing in the worst division we've played in since the top flight. Fair play to Pressley for working a miracle in a seemingly impossible conditions, though.

The Reverend Skyblue

Far too early for this type of assessment in my opinion. We all agree the defence is very vunerable and needs lots of work or a replacement or two. I feel Murphy is the best keeper for a while though I wish he would catch the ball sometimes.

Fleck and the midfield are doing very well as is the forward line, as Tommy says above we are very thin on the ground and need to bolster the squad by a couple of players especially if/when we get some injuries

What I would say is we have the best crop of youngsters since the Premiership, hence the best potential since those heady days

Dhinsa's_Millions

No, but it's playing in the worst division we've played in since the top flight. Fair play to Pressley for working a miracle in a seemingly impossible conditions, though.

I think he is indeed. Going forward there actually seems movement and a degree of coherance which is refreshing. I think we will finish just below mid table and then be one of the favourites for relegation the following season (If we stay at Sixfields).

Sky Blue Kid

The goals against record lets this squad down very badly, even then, I'd say no where near as good as the squad inherited by Coleman. Does anyone see this squad beating teams from the Premier league or even playing in an even game like we did against Everton, Chelsea, Blackburn?...Didn't think so!

Gint11

Far too early for this type of assessment in my opinion. We all agree the defence is very vunerable and needs lots of work or a replacement or two. I feel Murphy is the best keeper for a while though I wish he would catch the ball sometimes.

Fleck and the midfield are doing very well as is the forward line, as Tommy says above we are very thin on the ground and need to bolster the squad by a couple of players especially if/when we get some injuries

What I would say is we have the best crop of youngsters since the Premiership, hence the best potential since those heady days

Im a big fan of Joe Murphy and he makes outstanding saves every week but IMO Kieran Westwood overall was a much better keeper so I disagree with your goalkeeper comment.

mds

This is key, keeping a strong young squad together. If we keep hold of them with steady progression and the right additions, in a couple of years we may have the best squad we have had IN the premiership.

Problem is, we are a selling club and always have been and keeping the best of our youngsters will be hard unless they can see real progress and successful a future with us.

RoboCCFC90

I think a lot of the positive views about the squad are down to the manager and the club, Gregor Rioch has continually been overseeing products from the academy and what Greg and his team have achieved over the last few years is a huge credit to the club, Steven Pressley has brought in a style of Football which is down to hardwork and discipline and it's not just a style for the style of play but an ethic for the whole club, combine that with what is a very good young squad which IMO can only get better.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best since we dropped from the Premiership I think that was a side Coleman had, however we didn't have the right manager to play the tactics that team needed to be succesful.

Last edited:

SkyBlueHomer

Not even close. Defense is far too weak & we have the potential to switch off during games which cost us against Port Vale & almost cost us against Sheff Utd.
We will get found out playing the better teams in this league.

Now if you asked is this 'potentially' the best squad/management team (if we can keep them together) that would have been a different answer

Dhinsa's_Millions

Not even close. Defense is far too weak & we have the potential to switch off during games which cost us against Port Vale & almost cost us against Sheff Utd.
We will get found out playing the better teams in this league.

Now if you asked is this 'potentially' the best squad/management team (if we can keep them together) that would have been a different answer

How long until Pressley 'does a Robins'? If Huddersfield were a more attractive team last season I dread to think who is more attractive a proposition to a well performing manager this season!

SkyBlueHomer

How long until Pressley 'does a Robins'? If Huddersfield were a more attractive team last season I dread to think who is more attractive a proposition to a well performing manager this season!

Unfortunately that is reality of life in this division. Any player or manager that shows good form will get noticed.
Irrespective of our current owners we have to face facts, we are not the Premiership/Championship team we used to be and playing for the likes of Huddersfield & others is a much more attractive prospect at the minute

skybluelee

The current SQUAD isn't anything like our strongest as I fear we will find out when injuries kick in. There's only about 17 of them and most are kids. The starting XI is good though. It would be very good at this level if we had a decent centre half.

Dhinsa's_Millions

Unfortunately that is reality of life in this division. Any player or manager that shows good form will get noticed.
Irrespective of our current owners we have to face facts, we are not the Premiership/Championship team we used to be and playing for the likes of Huddersfield & others is a much more attractive prospect at the minute

Every team in League 1 or the Championship are more attractive!

skybluelee

But Robins only went because SISU changed the goalposts, ie started fcking about with the rent. Didn't he? That's what I've always assumed anyway.

Not sure what SISU can do to make the current situation even more farcical. If SP can put up with this surely he'll put up with anything!

bigfatronssba

Perhaps the most efficient. I.e. Were playing to our strengths.

Just remember though this time 3 years ago we were in the championship play offs, and just 2 points off top at Christmas.

bigfatronssba

But Robins only went because SISU changed the goalposts, ie started fcking about with the rent. Didn't he? That's what I've always assumed anyway.

Not sure what SISU can do to make the current situation even more farcical. If SP can put up with this surely he'll put up with anything!

I imagine if someone comes in Presley will be off, wouldn't blame him for that. He's clearly ambitious so he's not properly suited at ccfc.

Difference I would hope is that he wouldn't claim to have sky blue blood a week before leaving.

mds

I think he is commited and sees a future, he moved his familly down thats a big commitment, something convinced Darren Murray to abandon 14 yrs at Hearts to come here, with the off field problems these are big commitments, a bright future ahead fo the Sky Blues ? YES

runner

Have to agree with other posters, no, front end wise perhaps, but Webster is a light weight, caused the 2nd goal completely and very under paced, so struggles at best ... we are exposed defensively, only wish we would invest some money in our back end, by that I mean loan players, since midfield and up front, we are looking good !

The Reverend Skyblue

Im a big fan of Joe Murphy and he makes outstanding saves every week but IMO Kieran Westwood overall was a much better keeper so I disagree with your goalkeeper comment.

I respect your opinion on this, Westwood could make world class saves but in the next minute make a basic judgement error as he sometimes wanted to play rush goalie, and his kicking could be a little erratic.
Looking at both now and if you had to choose one I would go with Westwood, so in hindsight your correct and I am not.

Dhinsa's_Millions

The official line was a mixture of security and the future of the club but money and progression must have played a massive part.

Realistically Pressley can only take this team forward properly if we move back to the Ricoh. Anything else then he won't have the spending power (FFP) to make any kind of challenge (5 years wait to build a stadium). I agree they can't make it more farcical - Its a national joke our situation.

LJC_CCFC

not wishing to get too carried away after just a few games but i do detect a major uplift in skill, fitness, attitude and commitment from our boys in blue. Scoring for fun, end to end attacking and heads not dropping seems to have been instilled into the squad by sp such that we are now a genuine force to be reckoned with.

The squad albeit short of numbers is significantly better than previous squads as far back as the premiership where we have had to accept dire performances and lack of entertainment for many seasons.

Am i a tad too generous in my assessment or do we have genuine credentials to consider ourselves to have one of the best squads in this league ???

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha these boys can't defend the long ball for shit tbh

C

cw36

We would score plenty in the Championship. It would be the other end that would concern me more. I think we would hold our own in the division higher. 4 or 5 of our regulars starters belong at a higher level anyway.

Stevec189

Best squad was the one immediately after relegation and Roland had us playing as a squad. Had depth and ability but it all went down hill with the arrival of one Jim Smith. Unforgivable decision IMHO! #kcic #pusb

WillieStanley

In terms of quality, sadly no. In terms of attitude then yes, definitely. Work rate and team spirit is in abundance. We've had years of different managers telling us what a happy camp we have and it's not proven to be true where it counts. This season though, we've got it.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not wishing to get carried away!!!!!! Well you just did! :facepalm: FFS get a grip!!

Give the man a break - we just won a game with a few decent goals and he's allowed himself to dream. If you don't do that once in a while as a City fan, you'll end up on the funny farm ;) PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread