Istanbul Attacks (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Noticed there isn't a thread on this yet. Death toll could rise up to 50. Very sad indeed.

Is this kind of thing just becoming the norm now? Certainly seems to be happening more often.

Otis

Noticed there isn't a thread on this yet. Death toll could rise up to 50. Very sad indeed.

Is this kind of thing just becoming the norm now? Certainly seems to be happening more often.
We are getting a bit more desensitised to it all seemingly and it can be harder to shock, though the Paris thing and the gay club thing took our breath away I think.

Think we are getting more desensitised to bombs and bombings.

It's like if you go down London. You go on a train or tube and someone jumps in front of it you as a Midlander are shocked by it. Not if you are a Londoner though. They are used to the scenario.

We have had at least two occasions when someone has jumped in front of a train and been killed and while we have been shocked, others seemingly don't bat an eyelid.

You ask the question for the delay and someone looks up from their paper and you get back 'oh, just a jumper.' They then go back to the paper.

Spoke to many Londoners and they just accept it as part of every day life.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We are getting a bit more desensitised to it all seemingly and it can be harder to shock, though the Paris thing and the gay club thing took our breath away I think.

Think we are getting more desensitised to bombs and bombings.

It's like if you go down London. You go on a train or tube and someone jumps in front of it you as a Midlander are shocked by it. Not if you are a Londoner though. They are used to the scenario.

We have had at least two occasions when someone has jumped in front of a train and been killed and while we have been shocked, others seemingly don't bat an eyelid.

You ask the question for the delay and someone looks up from their paper and you get back 'oh, just a jumper.' They then go back to the paper.

Spoke to many Londoners and they just accept it as part of every day life.

Interesting insight Otis. I was obviously aware that people do jump in front of the tube, but without being naive, had no idea it was something that common. Or is it the London attitude that life is too busy to stop and get worried by a jumper?

Certainly does feel like attacks such as Istanbul Airport are becoming more common and shrugged off, BBC don't even have anything on their homepage about it anymore and it was only 2 days ago. Although I suppose they are too busy trying to smear Brexit!

I just boarded a train at Rome Termini train station, and despite being loads of police (and a few army), I couldn't help but keep looking over my shoulder. Not cool.

Nick

Administrator
I think it is becoming the norm :( People will be looking over their shoulders and I bet holidays to Turkey / Egypt etc will slowly decline over time.

Must be mad to want to go on holiday in Egypt or something with such a risk.

skyblue1991

I think it is becoming the norm :( People will be looking over their shoulders and I bet holidays to Turkey / Egypt etc will slowly decline over time.

I went on a day trip to Marmaris when I went to Rhodes a couple of weeks ago and got a bus to the nearby Icmeler.

It is completely dead there, I mean completely. Yet you are thousands of miles away from Istanbul, Syria, Iraq etc and in reality nothing is going to happen.

The tourist trade is deciding rapidly and it's a shame as it does people off. I saw the other month you could get a half decent all inclusive hotel with flights for a week for about £300.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Otis

Interesting insight Otis. I was obviously aware that people do jump in front of the tube, but without being naive, had no idea it was something that common. Or is it the London attitude that life is too busy to stop and get worried by a jumper?

It is that common and the only sense of feeling we get back from people is that it is an annoyance and nothing else and there is no sense of tragedy or enormity. They say 'oh, it was just a jumper ' as if they were saying 'it's a bit cloudy today isn't it.'

clint van damme

that's the whole point of it. Damaging the tourist trade affects the economy which in turn allows extremist groups to flourish.
Even in western societies we see a more prominent far right in time of financial hard ship.
It's OK saying the best thing to do is carry on as normal, don't let these people win but no fucking way am I taking my family over there!

Captain Dart

that's the whole point of it. Damaging the tourist trade affects the economy which in turn allows extremist groups to flourish.
Even in western societies we see a more prominent far right in time of financial hard ship.
It's OK saying the best thing to do is carry on as normal, don't let these people win but no fucking way am I taking my family over there!

On the other hand it might backfire on IS, their attacks have made a 2 or 3 large predominantly muslim nations very much poorer (Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia).
Just thinking Erdogan & Putin might just sort out their differences and go splat them.
I'm rather uncertain what their true agendas are, just hope they don't steer the ship into stormy waters.

Users who are viewing this thread