It's time for thorn to go. (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

I feel part responsible for starting this thought process regarding Thorn's tenure from another thread?

Why am I not surprised that has encourage a dissatisfied bunch to come on here and call him out and see him sacked?
I need to be clear here: I made the point that football can be cruel and how boards react given a lack of points is for all to see at every club.
The suggestion from me is that while Thorn is doing a relatively good job considering the situation at CCFC it will bring into question his relative inexperience should he lose what seems to be vital games coming up next and as a result of that put us in a precarious position at the wrong end of the table and hopes of bumper crowds with West Ham and Southampton jeopardized into the bargain. Tough one for the board to accept maybe?

I would personally keep my nerve and stick with him. I have seen plenty to be pleased with and still think we would be safe. However it's a business and I suspect the board will see it differently should Thorn fail badly over the next 4 games. They will be asking if a more experienced manager would make the difference and as we all know that is usually the case. Steve Cotteril was not setting the world alight at Portsmouth but has revitalised Forest immediately. Forest reacted quickly and for that they won't go down. Will they react the same here? There are plenty of managers out there who would do the job for less money than they otherwise would have expected, in order to get back in the game.
I'm not calling for Thorn's head. I think he will do OK. Merely reminding all who listen just how crazy football is and the desire for instant success from the fans and the clubs. Going down must be avoided for this club under it's current structure.
I would much prefer some attention was given to the back room coaching and Thorn gets tough with his troops which he seems to have done with his after match comments last Saturday.
Yes he was off with selection on Saturday as we all see it but was spot on at Leeds. Can't get it all right all the time. I think it's more a question of the team playing consistently for 90 minutes as required. I think they just stop working after they scored.
glad to see Cody on and scoring. I don't want to see Roy and Platt unless an emergency. I also want to see Mc.Sheffrey back and an option to revert to 4-4-2 when needed.
Please no more Thorn must go nonsense. That's a bit premature given the circumstances. Lets get behind him and see what he comes up with over the next few vital games as I'm sure the board will be and you would be naive to think otherwise, that's all.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If that sort of financial support had been available at the start he would not have got the job !

Think we are right to question things he has done. I hope someone in the club is able to sit down with AT and get him to review his own performance.

We have what we have, we cant afford to change it nor would I want to at this stage. I just hope AT learns his lessons quickly and isnt too proud to admit he could have done better himself. Saturday he had a bad day - everyone makes mistakes it is how they learn from it that is important.

ccfcway

didnt he say it was Bigi who had a bad day on Saturday

There was no admission of error by AT..

Otis

It's all well and good saying Thorn isn't experienced, but don't forget the bloke standing beside him is.

Wonder whose decision it was,

stupot07

The difference is paxman, that forest have an abundance of quality, and didn't want to play for mcclaren.

stupot07

It's all well and good saying Thorn isn't experienced, but don't forget the bloke standing beside him is.

Wonder whose decision it was,

Thats a good point, I imagine Harrison will be quite influential in the decisions.

Paxman II

I'll take a stance on this. Harrison for me may be a problem. Just because he comes with a reputation of merit does not mean he has not become poor at his job? Did McClaren not have a good reputation under Fergie?...says it all really.

I watched a pre season friendly at Hinckley where the guy was chastising the players and screaming at them on the side lines. No words of encouragement just poorly targeted abuse if anything...nothing constructive about it. That had me thinking about the guy back then. How do you think he is on the training field week in week out?

But then AT should be the man in charge though. It's always difficult to change the pattern of things unlike when a new broom comes in.
Andy has to get the shape behind the scenes he wants as much as in front of house on the pitch. Is he happy with Harrison? I have no idea. he must shape it as he sees it. He will be the scape goat if he gets it wrong and the opportunity to change things was there all along...

Spagbol

Can't believe the amount of people calling for Thorns head!!

We need SISU out end of, I think Thorn got it wrong on Saturday especially bringing ROd on, and not changing the shape of the team to counter Burnley, but when you consider the lack of support he has had compared with ANY other club in this league, he is doing a good job, we have dropped so many silly points all season, I just hope it won't come back to haunt us. But if we do go down I won't be blaming Thorn or the players we have, it will be SISU and the years of bad management at the top of CCFC!!!

:blue::blue:

The Reverend Skyblue

If what paxman is saying is true then it is going to be a problem.If you were a player who recieved nothing but abuse then you're going to feel shit and effect your game. Apart from friendly games none of us can get near Harrison/Thorn to hear what they are shouting, at so we must take Paxmans word as true.
How can you improve someone by belittling them and telling them they are shit.Everyone who has kids in their late teens, knows that shouting at them will make them do exactly the opposite of what you want them to, so encouraging them surely will get better results.Teenagers have fragile temperaments so screaming at them will not make them understand and take in what youre trying to make them do. Working hard with them on the practice pitch during the week is when to get your message across.
i do realise that if they do something totally brainless during a match it will warrant a bollocking, but if the screaming is constantly critical then in my mind thats wrong.

The Rev

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

I sometimes wonder if we over-estimate what managers and coaches do.

A good few years ago Cov reserves were playing away to Wolves. Wolves played reserve games at Telford's ground as this wasn't too far from me, I went along.

We played a very young side that night - only Willie Boland and Simon Howarth were anywhere near the first team - so I positioned myself behind the dugout to hear how Gary Pendrey would coach the side, how he'd motivate the young players, how he'd finesse the tactics etc

I promise that I'm not making this up (and I'm not a Tory minister speaking about Human Rights) but the one and only phrase he shouted all night - although he did shout it often - was "Get tight".

Maybe some of us on here could do a better job than some of them!!

AFCCOVENTRY

I think it is fair to say that we need to see where we are at by Xmas with Thorn at least.

We are stuck with the current bunch of players but the real test will be coming for Thorn now to grind out the results and ensure he gets his tactics and match play decision making right.

Thorn got it very wrong in the last game. He is telling the young players to grow up quick and learn... I am afraid Thorn needs to grow up and learn quick as a manager.

The clock is ticking...

rob9872

We're in this together. We have no funds for investment let alone wages so nobody can even be a shoestring wheeler dealer so who on earth would accept and what do you expect anyone else to achieve with the same resources? If we stay up this season it will have been a huge effort by everyone. Whether you like it or not Thorn is our immediate future so we need to back him and all the lads because we need everyone right now - even you Wallace despite your retarded comments on this thread.

Otis

Can't believe the amount of people calling for Thorns head!!

We need SISU out end of, I think Thorn got it wrong on Saturday especially bringing ROd on, and not changing the shape of the team to counter Burnley, but when you consider the lack of support he has had compared with ANY other club in this league, he is doing a good job, we have dropped so many silly points all season, I just hope it won't come back to haunt us. But if we do go down I won't be blaming Thorn or the players we have, it will be SISU and the years of bad management at the top of CCFC!!!

:blue::blue:

What amount of people? I have counted two on this entire thread. May have missed the odd one maybe, but check back and you will find it's the two same people saying the same thing. Loads questioning Thorn, which is fair enough after he totally cocked things up on Saturday, but look again and see how many are saying he should be sacked.

Paxman II

thank goodness for that Otis.

Interesting though is it not to see Sven sacked by Leicester and he is having success! makes you realise as I said the board will be very mindful of what takes place in the next few games regardless of what we think and how much support we give Thorn.

I know Sven had £10m but all the same this early? As I keep saying football is cruel if you don't bring instant success. it's a crazy world these days. So Thorn must adapt and and adapt quickly and fight his corner or fall on his sword...

Otis

I will back him as I would any City manager. But it was a grave miscalculation by him on Saturday. The game was crying out for City substitutions and it just didn't happen.

Covstu

I would be more concerned if they were playing with low morale and lack of effort like they were under Coleman but they are not, they are playing for Thorn but sadly lack that quality overall. There is only so many times you can shuffle the same pack..

brinner

Sorry but the young players are not too blame here. Why do they keep getting the blame? If there good enough, there oldf enough and they should be fit as a fiddle not blowing out there arses. We were conceding late goals last season too under Thorn without the young players.
i remember chatting to Jordan Henderson when he was here and he said it took him 5 days to recover properly from games and he was 18 at the time.

3 games in a week may be too much for 1 or 2 of them.

Perryccfc

WTF do people want to watch? Everyone cried with AB in charge as his tactics were 'boring' and even tho he won a few games, people wanted him out due to his ugly style. Now we have a gaffer who plays how we want but is knitting a Cardigan with fishing line!!! Get a bloody grip chaps. I think were a sinking ship whoever the fuck is in charge. I'm preparing for the worst and anything else is a bonus. And it's not down to thorn. There is one group of people responsible for this joke of a mess our team is in...you all know who!

Otis

I'm beginning to wonder just how much of a team Thorn and Harrison actually are and how much Thorn listens to Harrison, if at all. Be interesting to see how much say Harrison has in decision making. Thorn is indeed a novice in the managerial stakes and basically needs all the help he can get.

covcity4life

id give him bit more time, with cody coming into fitness we will see if thorns formation/squad can click now

if we are still outside relegation zone come december i think he should stay in his job

would love 3pts minimum from next 2 games though, we need to start getting that 2nd goal,thorn talks alot bout attacking but we just dont do it

BANANA

Thorn ... Leave. No person could have ever done a better job on his budget aka nothing. Even when we brought Cody we still made a profit through Turner leaving and money from Dann move. We were favourites for relegation but were not in the relegation zone. Sure one place above isn't great but we were favourites to go down. Thorn should and will stay. Thorn has done a better job than anyone else could of in our clubs situation.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not advocating Thorne going BANANA i think we shouldnt change but hold up. The only reason we got Cody is because we had to sell Turner at what may well turn out to be a discount price, and it was Cardiff chasing him not AT selling him that made it happen. Dann money had nothing to do with AT it was set up well before he took over, as part of sale to Birmingham. As for AT doing a better job than anyone else ..... we dont know that and cant. He is who we have and is doing a decent job given the circumstances, but it is a results business and ours are not exactly spectacular even given the financial restraints. I think we need to back him for now however

les_miserables

Do you really think SISU will change the manager ? He will have to be replaced and if not by an experienced one then why bother with another rookie. Bringing in the common names everytime there's a vacancy such as Alan Curbishley, Billy Davies, Dave Jones, George Burley and others would cost SISU loads of money, don't forget they would all bring in their enterages too. I'm sure SISU will stick with AT.

Our opinions count for little with our incumbent board, so Thorn will not be going anywhere as he remains the cheapest option (other than, perhaps,
Carsley which I think most would accept would be a real knee jerk reaction at this stage of the season without a true and realistic thought process). I don't think you can look at Thorn's performance without the context. He has made errors, but this is his first job in management (which is relevant, however long he has been involved with the game). We are playing nicer football than under Boothroyd, which is to his credit. This doesn't shield him from blame, but I don't think he has gone too far wrong, in all. The decisions to offer new contracts to some less than inspiring players needs to be taken in the same context as looking at his starting line up of players. Needs must, is it down to him, and so on. The jury is still out on his management capabilities and credentials, but I am pointing no finger at Andy Thorn at present. I think that sacking him before he has been in charge of 35 games would be an error at this stage of the season, even if we had the money to get a replacement.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Saw the telegraph today Thorn said Mcdonald did have an injury and that is why he came off and Deegan wasn't really fit to be on the bench, we can ask why Deegan was on the bench if he wasn't fit but it does limit the options even further on what he could have changed against Burnley.
I would have still personally bought Cameron on for Christie though.

brinner

its mainly the fans that are 18 and younger that seem to be calling for thorn to go, they are obviously not experienced enough yet when it comes to all things ccfc!

we need continuity so we may asweell keep hold of thorn, if he hadnt lost his best 3 players in the summer things would be vbery diffrent now and we would be about 10 places higher up the league or more.

once we get some money to give him to spend we can start to judge him properly, until then he has my full support as he is doing a good job in the circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread