Jaaskelainen joins wigan (1 Viewer)

Squarks

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet? Could potentially free up Kirkland to return?

ajsccfc

I think Mowbray does actually trust Burge personally, he seems to be upfront about areas he's looking to get people in for.

Squarks

Kirkland would push Burge and would surely assist in both the young keepers development. Another candidate for a player who's already 'made his money' too.

Astute

Kirkland would push Burge and would surely assist in both the young keepers development. Another candidate for a player who's already 'made his money' too.

Does Kirkland play in midfield now?

We don't have the Wigan budget. But we do have better defenders than them. We need goalscorers more than anything. It would be good to bring in a good experienced GK but it isn't a top priority.

Paxman II

Sick note Kirkland is past his best long ago. The romantics among you should concentrate on realising Burge is a decent keeper at this level.

SkyBlueCRJ

We don't have the budget for Kirkland to come in. If the money was available I'd personally love to have him on board because I believe he would rapidly improve Burge's development as a player. But if we are to sign 3/4 attacking players, not a chance we'll be able to bring in a player of Kirkland's caliber. Realistically we need a GK/attacking RB/out and out winger and two strikers but the likelihood of this materializing is near on impossible with our budget

Squarks

I wasnt necessarily saying he was the 'top class player' TM was talking about recently but adding the point wages may not be as much of an issue compared to others.

I fully agree that attackers are a priority but still feel GK shouldn't be overlooked. If we lost Rickets and Reda at the same time for a couple of games then we'd be very lightweight!

Grendel

Sick note Kirkland is past his best long ago. The romantics among you should concentrate on realising Burge is a decent keeper at this level.

He's actually been fitter in the last 3 seasons than most of his career.

I'd say the romantics are those that automatically assume Burge is a decent keeper with, as yet, no evidence to suggest such just because he has come through the ranks.

We've had plenty such notions. Andrew "going to play for England" Whing, Ryan "a premier league club will be signing him soon" Haynes and (though not a youth team player) Chris "call me Gareth Bale" Hussey.

You are confusing romantics and realists.

rupert_bear

How much do you lot think Chris Kirkland would want my guess is 10k a week minimum and with his track record will need to bring his own treatment table.

skybluepm2

I agree with most things you say, but not this Pax. He made one save of note on Saturday and although it was a fairly key one, his kicking was woeful, he was stuck to his line for all but one set piece, took too long in distributing, was indecisive and almost bundled a routine save into his own net (luckily it went out for a corner!).

We certainly need someone more experienced between the sticks if we are going to challenge. A keeper who will save us points not throw them away.

ccfctommy

Fuck it. Stick with Burge. He was dodgy last season but looked a totally different keeper on Saturday. Never had an awful lot to do granted but looked very confident when coming out to claim the ball. To sign Kirkland after giving Lee Burge the number 1 shirt will destroy his confidence.

fernandopartridge

He's actually been fitter in the last 3 seasons than most of his career.

I'd say the romantics are those that automatically assume Burge is a decent keeper with, as yet, no evidence to suggest such just because he has come through the ranks.

We've had plenty such notions. Andrew "going to play for England" Whing, Ryan "a premier league club will be signing him soon" Haynes and (though not a youth team player) Chris "call me Gareth Bale" Hussey.

You are confusing romantics and realists.

He said a decent keeper at this level. Burge has been pretty steady under Mowbray.

Gaz71

Burge looked ok on Saturday, I thought O'Donnell was far worse for Wigan, his kicking was bad which led to our second goal, and yet he is highly rated at this level after keeping 21 clean sheets for Walsall last season, I think we need to get behind Burge and give him his chance and help get his confidence level up.

Paxman II

I'm not saying Kirkland is not good enough for us but I do think we should be looking forwards not backwards for once. Burge has improved a lot. That one save he made could have bounced in but for the fact he placed his body across the angle to block and got lucky it went out for a corner as it could have gone anywhere. It was a good stop. I'd like a better keeper but priorities must be elsewhere. As for his kicking then that's down to Oggy isn't it? O'Donnell on the other hand was a nervous wreck and very nearly cost his side another goal when he was caught knapping by JOB was it?
We have what appears a much more solid defence partnership in front of Burge so lets hope that also gives him more confidence. I agree deciding to come out or not is not his strong suit at the moment. Lets remember the best are caught flapping at times even Ceck for Arsenal at the week end!

Gaz71

Maybe It was O'Donnell's dodgy display which has led them to get Jaaskelainen in, they had Lee Nicholls on the bench against us on Saturday and he has played a few first team games, but as mentioned earlier they have a bit more financial clout in this league than everyone else.

Captain Dart

We can put this nonsense to bed now.

However today, finally, Kirkland has decided to stop driving to different training grounds, opting to sign a one-year deal with Championship new-boys Preston North End.

Users who are viewing this thread