Jaguar investment (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

Jaguar has announced that it plans to significantly grow car production and invest heavily in electric cars and battery technology (partnering with Warwick Uni). Although they haven't mentioned any numbers speculation is that it could create over 10,000 jobs in the Coventry area.

I think this is really smart. I had to buy a new car this year as my old one was costing more to maintain than the depreciation on a new one. We seriously considered electric but decided in the end that the technology wasn't quite there yet - and the battery life was a big factor in that. If they can crack this for cars it will have very widespread applications elsewhere and could bring lots of money into the city.

I also think it's a very good time for British companies to be investing, especially in cars. With low interest rates and a weaker pound, British cars have a big advantage and we may rebuild the industry we lost in the 70s. Personally, I think we are going to see a lot more innovation in the coming years to take advantage of Brexit. Just imagine the UK with global free trade agreements and some seriously desirable products such as improved batteries.

wingy

If they crack it and manage to supply the rest of the Industry 30,000 has been quoted.
So do the Gov who don't seem to like Coventry make the required Infrastructure Investment.
Or do they just buy off Tesla Instead?

Edit :- Still think the Hydrogen Cell is the way!

rd45

Yeah I'm not convinced by the eco benefits of battery power, in the slightest.

It depends how you generate the power to recharge the batteries. If it's renewables - and the batteries last a reasonable time - then you're laughing. If you have to burn oil to recharge the batteries, you've not gained anything for what you've given up in terms of cost/convenience/familiarity of internal combustion.

We've all got used to burning a fuel with very very high energy density. Means that we think nothing of filling up in two minutes and then driving hundreds of miles. Batteries aren't going to get to the energy density of diesel any time soon. I see them as a transitional kind of technology, that we'll get used to as we all adjust to being less easily mobile - as hydrocarbons get scarcer & more expensive. If fuel cells or nuclear fusion or magic moonbeams or anything else turn up in the meantime, then we never have to make that adjustment. Which would obviously be nice, but batteries are a useful stop gap in case the miracle doesn't happen.

Gazolba

General Motors in the USA produced a very stylish, practical, electric car back in the 80's. Everyone who tested thought it was great. But when they realized there was no profit in it, they terminated the program and destroyed all the cars,

Nick

Administrator
I have looked into Electrical cars, was going to get something like a Prius a few years ago to cut down on fuel bills but the price I'd pay for the car didn't make it worthwhile. Technology has come on a lot since then, fully electrical ones still have silly charging times.

Users who are viewing this thread