Jamie Allen: New Contract to 2025 (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not sure I see the point if he wasn't out of contract at the end of the season. Not like we're going to be turning down massive bids for him and this will safeguard potential transfer fees.

Especially as it says new deal, not an extension, so we'll now likely be paying him more next year that we otherwise needed to.

NorthernWisdom

Not sure I see the point if he wasn't out of contract at the end of the season. Not like we're going to be turning down massive bids for him and this will safeguard potential transfer fees.

Especially as it says new deal, not an extension, so we'll now likely be paying him more next year that we otherwise needed to.
Alternatively he's deserved a pay rise for his performances this year.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Good news, hopefully we can tie Hamer down to a longer deal (Gyokeres seems highly unlikely but would be amazing). We have alot of signings to make so a bit more continuity will help next season.

Greggs

A midfield of Eccles, Allen and Sheaf next season then......

Blind-Faith

Deserves a new deal with how much he’s improved. Happy to have him as a squad player as he does chip in with goals now which he’s added to his game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Alternatively he's deserved a pay rise for his performances this year.
Maybe. But it's still money we don't need to spend when playing with a tight budget. If he was coming out of contract I think 'ok', but he's not. It wasn't necessary at this stage.

He's not someone I look at and think they're a vital cog in potentially achieving promotion. At this level he should really only be a squad player.

NorthernWisdom

But it's still money we don't need to spend when playing with a tight budget.
It is if he's worth it, and would get that cash elsewhere if we didn't.

Also, what kind of culture fails to reward success? Would you sign for such an organisation? Would you try your hardest if there were no motivation of something better for doing so?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It is if he's worth it, and would get that cash elsewhere if we didn't.

Also, what kind of culture fails to reward success? Would you sign for such an organisation? Would you try your hardest if there were no motivation of something better for doing so?
But he's contracted to us, so that's irrelevant. And as we don't know what he's on we can't say that someone else would be willing to offer him more.

If the goals dry up, by this time next year he could be surplus to requirements and then the extra year and wages looks like a bad decision. Allen has improved his scoring rate this year but despite his high energy he doesn't really affect the game in any other way. We gave Godden a new contract and it's not looking like a great decision so far. To be fair to Allen he will give his all, but if you go through the match threads I'm sure you'll find plenty criticising his overall contribution this year. The goals seem to have helped gloss over that (and he's also missed some good chances too).

As for rewarding success, what's wrong with win/goal bonuses etc? We don't see players taking pay cuts when they play like shit for six months.

This isn't having a go at Allen or wanting him gone. It's about us spending more money, which we have very little of, on someone that we'd have anyway and who should really be no more than a back-up. If we have all our midfielders here and fit next year, I'd have Sheaf, Hamer and O'Hare ahead of him. Eccles is a better bet to bring in as DM cover and Palmer is far more creative and arguably wins the ball more in an attacking role. So basically he's there if you want someone to run around. Do we really need to be spending more of our meagre budget on that?

Grendel

But he's contracted to us, so that's irrelevant. And as we don't know what he's on we can't say that someone else would be willing to offer him more.

If the goals dry up, by this time next year he could be surplus to requirements and then the extra year and wages looks like a bad decision. Allen has improved his scoring rate this year but despite his high energy he doesn't really affect the game in any other way. We gave Godden a new contract and it's not looking like a great decision so far. To be fair to Allen he will give his all, but if you go through the match threads I'm sure you'll find plenty criticising his overall contribution this year. The goals seem to have helped gloss over that (and he's also missed some good chances too).

As for rewarding success, what's wrong with win/goal bonuses etc? We don't see players taking pay cuts when they play like shit for six months.

This isn't having a go at Allen or wanting him gone. It's about us spending more money, which we have very little of, on someone that we'd have anyway and who should really be no more than a back-up. If we have all our midfielders here and fit next year, I'd have Sheaf, Hamer and O'Hare ahead of him. Eccles is a better bet to bring in as DM cover and Palmer is far more creative and arguably wins the ball more in an attacking role. So basically he's there if you want someone to run around. Do we really need to be spending more of our meagre budget on that?

You sound like a proper Tory

Grendel

Samo

Deserves a new deal with how much he’s improved. Happy to have him as a squad player as he does chip in with goals now which he’s added to his game.
Yup, 7 goals from midfield and a great work ethic. I hope he finds it difficult to command a place next season but I certainly think he's done enough to deserve a contract.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So you don't think how much he's paid has any effect on him, he should be grateful and pay us for the privilege?
No, of course not. Not sure how you take me pointing out he's already contracted and being pretty well paid compared to the average person as me saying he should be paying us.

And as I said he's going to be being paid a decent amount compared to the vast majority of people, so overall I'd say he should be pretty happy overall. And if he's the type to start getting the hump over not getting more pay for scoring half a dozen or so goals then I'd suggest that's not somebody you'd want to extend. But I don't think Allen is that type and so therefore had he not got the extension he'd have still given his all.

I just have a feeling that this time next year we might just be looking at the squad and ruing that Allen was given another year.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Amazed at this far right approach to workers - are you Peter Bone?
It's hardly far right - football are one of the few professions where the workers see a decent share of the proceeds of the business. It's not like he's on minimum wage struggling to heat and eat.

SAJ

Unless we get promoted I can’t see Hamer being here. He wants to play at a higher level and I imagine there will be a few clubs interested especially now his discipline is so much better. if he was going to extend the likelihood is he would have done it by now, he signed the new deal at the beginning of March last year.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Unless we get promoted I can’t see Hamer being here. He wants to play at a higher level and I imagine there will be a few clubs interested especially now his discipline is so much better. if he was going to extend the likelihood is he would have done it by now, he signed the new deal at the beginning of March last year.
Quite possibly. I've no doubt he has ambitions to play as high as possible.

But if he is sold you'd have to hope at least part of the proceeds would be put towards his replacement, leaving Allen's squad position at best the same as now. No way would you improve and extend Allen's contract with the intention of him taking Hamer's role.

Basically, there are plenty of scenarios in which I'd be fine with Allen getting a new contract.
- if he was fast approaching the end of his current one.
- if he was likely to generate interest from clubs and either ward off suitors or allow us to drive a hard bargain.
- if it was purely a year extension of his existing contract to keep squad stability and morale.

It doesn't sound like any of those.

The one thing I can't understand is if we've offered him higher wages and an extension while he still has a year to run on his current contract, and I feel it will end up more like a Kelly/Godden scenario.

I expect many will disagree with that, and that's fine. But that's my thoughts on it and hopefully I'll end up looking silly as Allen leads a promotion charge next season (under the likely assumption we don't go up this)

CCFC54321

Nearly every message I’ve received since last night from my mates is slating this decision to offer Allen a new contract.

I come on here and it’s a great decision.

I don’t know what to think anymore.

The Philosopher

Nearly every message I’ve received since last night from my mates is slating this decision to offer Allen a new contract.

I come on here and it’s a great decision.

I don’t know what to think anymore.
They’re a funny bunch on here.

There’s a few that just like to be sassholes (you know the type, like to make sarky comments just for the sake of it. My daughter does it but then again she is a 12 year old girl. They post laughing emojis trying to look clever).

There’s also a lot of “white knights” who try to stick up for the poor damsel in distress. (player plays badly, poster on here points out that they’ve played badly, and there’s always one or two that start pointing to irrelevant stats and claim that you are clueless because in 2019 you once said Biamou took his goal well)

Then there’s the contrarians. If you say “I’m not sure handing Jamie Allen a new contract is a good idea, he’s ok at L1 but we really need to look at improving the squad if we wish to aim higher”, then there’ll be a contrarian who will just argue the point for no apparent reason.

Then there are the lurkers and occasional posters. Often they think “I’m not sure I agree with that” or “I have a viewpoint to add which might be relevant” but don’t post because they can’t be arsed to receive a daft emoji, white knight, contrarian or other BS response.

Oh, and the opinion of the admins is of course sacred.

With regards to Allen, my opinion is “meh”. Ok, but not as pleased as I was about the extension for the much improved Ben Sheaf (who was poor to start but is now very good).

Grendel

There’s a few that just like to be sassholes (you know the type, like to make sarky comments just for the sake of it. My daughter does it but then again she is a 12 year old girl. They post laughing emojis trying to look clever).

There’s also a lot of “white knights” who try to stick up for the poor damsel in distress. (player plays badly, poster on here points out that they’ve played badly, and there’s always one or two that start pointing to irrelevant stats and claim that you are clueless because in 2019 you once said Biamou took his goal well)

Then there’s the contrarians. If you say “I’m not sure handing Jamie Allen a new contract is a good idea, he’s ok at L1 but we really need to look at improving the squad if we wish to aim higher”, then there’ll be a contrarian who will just argue the point for no apparent reason.

Then there are the lurkers and occasional posters. Often they think “I’m not sure I agree with that” or “I have a viewpoint to add which might be relevant” but don’t post because they can’t be arsed to receive a daft emoji, white knight, contrarian or other BS response.

With regards to Allen, my opinion is “meh”. Ok, but not as pleased as I was about the extension for the much improved Ben Sheaf (who was poor to start but is now very good).

Then there are clearly sensible posters who claim the only reason Allen gets selected is Robins suffers from mini me syndrome and Allen is a toiling midget

CCFC54321

Could not of said it better.

There is a pack mentality on here unfortunately which i don't see on other message boards. A few on here will join in the 'discussion' with insults in an attempt to support someone who has recently liked one of their posts. Similar i guess to being in a children's play ground.

My take on Allen is he will be lucky to get many minutes if we are to continue to build a side that will compete with the top 6 next season. I personally don't rate Allen, Just my opinion but i'm not the only one that's in that camp, but respect others opinions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread