Jimmy Carr (1 Viewer)

Grendel

shmmeee

It is as you still have the choice

Then should broadcast style laws apply in terms of what’s appropriate to show? RCB would never get on the BBC or ITV, but has always been allowed to tour and sell DVDs.

skybluetony176

Sure this will calm the debate down…

Don’t Boris and Pritti want to basically criminalise being a member of Romany Gypsy community by making it illegal to camp anywhere other than an official site which there aren’t enough of. Even going as far as taking their homes of them.

There’s also this

Last edited:

shmmeee

Saiid Javid with the galaxy brain take of “the best way to teach him a lesson is for people who don’t like Jimmy Carr not to watch Jimmy Carr”. Genius.

It’s going to be down to fucking Lawrence Fox and Toby Young to defend him isn’t it? FFS.

JAM See

That Ariana Grande, she's rubbish isn't she?

You've got to admire Salman Ramadan Abedi

I mean, that's a few less people to buy her records.

I'd bet JC wouldn't make a 'joke' like that in Manchester.

Last edited:

shmmeee

That Ariana Grande, she's rubbish isn't she?

You've got to admire Salman Ramadan Abedi

I mean, that's a few less people to buy her records.

Trying to work this into a better joke, it doesn’t work because it’s too wordy and you have to explain yourself in the joke.

The basic premise works though: I hate Arianna Grande, and that’s the cause of the terrorism. It’s a reasonable joke if written properly. The joke here is that obviously that’s not the cause of the terrorism. Without that baseline assumption the joke doesn’t work at all, same with any edgy joke.

The reason RCB doesn’t work is that the assumptions in his joke don’t hold for most people (Asians smell/black people have big lips) and that he’s not a particularly good joke writer. Carr is a good joke writer. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Otis

I see Good Morning Britain are going to have a piece about whether Jimmy Carr should be cancelled this morning.

🤦

Otis

I think this is pretty well rounded.

During an interview with the BBC in October, Carr said it's all about context

"I think there's a huge difference between telling a joke on stage at 11pm and shouting it through someone's letterbox at 9am," he told my colleague Steven McIntosh.

"And when stuff is written in the papers, it looks pretty harsh, but there's no delivery, so you take away the context…. It's nuanced, it's the tone, it's the timbre of the speech, there are so many other things going on in language that aren't just the words that are being said."

Nikki Eastwood was at Carr's show at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Sunday night. She said "all the jokes were horrendous but funny, and very very Jimmy Carr". Although he didn't repeat any jokes about Travellers, he did go through jokes about rape, Islam, paedophiles and others, she said.

"I went with my Dad. We both thought he maybe went a bit too far with the rape jokes, it was too much. I think he wants to make a point that you shouldn't be cancelled for jokes. His whole point is he takes the mick out of everyone and everything, he's not being discriminatory."

Jessica Toomey runs the Frog and Bucket comedy club in Manchester. She told the BBC: "I don't like the joke, but it's a joke. He's purposely trying to push the boundaries."

She added that, although Carr hasn't done a gig at her club for nearly two decades, "if he rang me up tomorrow and said 'could I jump on your stage?', I'd say yes. I don't defend the joke, but I defend his right to say it. But I'd make clear to the audience they were coming to see Jimmy Carr. I wouldn't just spring him on them. The argument is, if you don't like it, don't watch it."

CJ_covblaze

Totally agree Otis.

Went to see him on his recent tour at the Warwick Arts Centre.

I've seen a lot of different comedians and whilst I would not say he is one of my favourites, some of his stuff can be quite funny. I just enjoy seeing what different comedians do live, and what they offer.

I recall this joke being told. The overall consensus was a few laughs and a lot of gasps. No boos. To me it was what it was, I wouldn't have said it, nor do I agree with it, but that's his type of material and is to be expected.

I saw him at the Empire and he was very funny for most of the show. He also seemed pretty sincere and genuine when talking about the venue and how the local people should support it. Met him in person through work a few years ago and felt he was a decent enough guy. He goes close to or goes over the line at times but what comedian hasn’t?

Otis

I see Victoria Coren Mitchell is getting a bit of stick for defending Jimmy Carr and tweeting this.

Screenshot_2022-02-08-08-11-51-15_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

That also goes with what I was saying about him apparently being a nice guy in real life.

If people are starting to have a go at the very lovely Victoria Coren Mitchell, then the the gloves are off as far as I am concerned. Grrrr 😂🤪🤬

jimmyhillsfanclub

While we’re all chatting about it here, I don’t think there’s a need for a National debate on Jimmy fucking Carr.

Exactly. It was a joke. Some people found it offensive. Some people found it funny.

So you can laugh, or you can feel offended.....either way...so what? ..... it was just a joke.

Liquid Gold

I see Victoria Coren Mitchell is getting a bit of stick for defending Jimmy Carr and tweeting this.

View attachment 23768

That also goes with what I was saying about him apparently being a nice guy in real life.

If people are starting to have a go at the very lovely Victoria Coren Mitchell, then the the gloves are off as far as I am concerned. Grrrr 😂🤪🤬
Most odious brother in the world though. Recently laughing at someone's death.

Nick

Administrator

Can you honestly say you have never laughed at a joke about somebody dying?

There have been some pretty good Princess Diana jokes over the years.

Liquid Gold

That wasn't a joke, the bloke was joyful and malicious about someone dying because they wrote a column about what a c**t he is. Coren not Carr

Nick

Administrator
That wasn't a joke, the bloke was joyful and malicious about someone dying because they wrote a column about what a c**t he is. Coren not Carr

Oh, that's different then. I thought you meant laughing at jokes about it which are sometimes pretty funny.

shmmeee

What he’s referring to wasn’t a joke TBF, he was saying he was happy someone died because they’d been trolling him on Twitter.

rob9872

Welcome to Sky Blues Talk:

5 pages on the Mason Greenwood rape
2 pages on Kurt Zouma kicking a cat
10 pages on Jimmy Carr telling a joke

Otis

I wonder what would happen if Jimmy Carr told a joke about a gypsy kicking and raping a cat and then putting it in a gas chamber?

rob9872

I wonder what would happen if Jimmy Carr told a joke about a gypsy kicking and raping a cat and then putting it in a gas chamber?
Ffs don't give him ideas!

*edit - would work better with an owl

rob9872

Presumably Giles? Not heard that, shame if true as I usually find his stuff excellent.

TomRad85

Youre giving reasons why you can’t police offence.

The BBC got loads of complaints from Corbyn fans when he was the butt of jokes. To them social justice is very important. So someone else it’s British soldiers. Someone else it’s rape, or cancer, or the Holocaust, or misogyny, or the plight of divorced fathers, or whether CCFC are a decent team.

There’s no line in the sand you can draw which has all universally offensive stuff one side and everything else the other.
Best take in the thread.

As you were.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Jimmy Carr is a twat. Simple as that. Or should I say c**t, to coin a word he loves to use.

Users who are viewing this thread