Jimmy Carr (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

I’ve played that and I think South Park’s one of the funniest shows on TV. But one’s private between friends and the other is basically the only one given ‘permission’ to cross the line.

We can’t really pick and choose who gets permission though. I think that’s a bit of the problem currently. If people support/like someone they allow them to say whatever they want, if they don’t, they’re offended and it shouldn’t be allowed. We have freedom of speech which is a good thing but ultimately it will mean we hear stuff we don’t like… but would rather that than someone censoring on my behalf*

*inciting hatred and violence aside as mentioned above

clint van damme

We can’t really pick and choose who gets permission though. I think that’s a bit of the problem currently. If people support/like someone they allow them to say whatever they want, if they don’t, they’re offended and it shouldn’t be allowed. We have freedom of speech which is a good thing but ultimately it will mean we hear stuff we don’t like… but would rather that than someone censoring on my behalf*

Playing devil's advocate here because as I say, I don't care what he said, its OK to joke about the holocaust but illegal to deny it happened, isn't that contradictory?

Brighton Sky Blue

Well there’s your other issue, who decides what counts as inciting violence?

SBT

Weird isn't it. The show has been available to stream for some time and yet now all of a sudden it all blows up and everyone is offended.

Why weren't they offended when it was first released?

🤷

Can you let me know how many days after release I have before my window to be offended closes? I don’t want to lose my right to complain, should I start binge-watching comedy as soon as it comes out just on the off-chance?

skybluetony176

Reminds me of Life of Brian a bit, because lots of people were deeply offended about that and they hadn't even seen it
Jerry Springer, the opera was much the same. There’s a short documentary about it on YouTube. They start interviewing protesters outside the theatre and not one of them had actually seen it, read the dialogue or really knew what it was about. Someone somewhere deemed it offensive to Christianity and loads of people jumped on the bandwagon.

clint van damme

Jerry Springer, the opera was much the same. There’s a short documentary about it on YouTube. They start interviewing protesters outside the theatre and not one of them had actually seen it, read the dialogue or really knew what it was about. Someone somewhere deemed it offensive to Christianity and loads of people jumped on the bandwagon.

I hope none of them get wind on the content of Book of Mormon.

CCFCSteve

Playing devil's advocate here because as I say, I don't care what he said, its OK to joke about the holocaust but illegal to deny it happened, isn't that contradictory?

Possibly. I personally question why thats illegal…depends on context of conversation. I think anyone denying it happened needs their head checked but we live in a strange world.

skybluetony176

There’s was a good joke on the Last Leg last night. They were discussing the Winston Churchill impersonator on GB news and Josh Widdecombe said that if it was BBC news they’d have to have a Hitler impersonator on too because they’re impartial. Made me laugh anyway. I think it was the thought of people loosing their shit if they did because you know it would be the same people loosing their shit about the BBC reporting the news they don’t want to hear claiming that the BBC isn’t impartial.

clint van damme

Possibly. I personally question why thats illegal…depends on context of conversation. I think anyone denying it happened needs their head checked but we live in a strange world.

If you advocate for free speech then holocaust denial shouldn't be illegal though like covid denial you have to be an absolute wrong un ro prescribe to that belief.

Terry_dactyl

Fucking hell!

He also described Celtic as being essentially the footballing wing of the IRA. But that’s for a different thread.

Now, the thing is, I really like Henning Wehn and I’m trying to think what the difference is with Jimmy Carr…is it just that I don’t find Carr particularly funny?
I mean, Wehn is clearly in character but at the same time I don’t believe Carr is happy that Gypsies were killed in the Holocaust…

Nick

Administrator
Possibly, yes?

Not that there are many blanket rules to these things, it’s always about the context.
Think the context in this case is people desperately trying to over prove they are a good person and are with whatever bandwagon cause is out that day.

I love dark humour, that's because I can tell the difference between Jokes and somebody actually wanting to go out killing gypsies. Even if it's jokes about things personal and upsetting to me, they are jokes.

Nick

Administrator
He also described Celtic as being essentially the footballing wing of the IRA. But that’s for a different thread.

Now, the thing is, I really like Henning Wehn and I’m trying to think what the difference is with Jimmy Carr…is it just that I don’t find Carr particularly funny?
I mean, Wehn is clearly in character but at the same time I don’t believe Carr is happy that Gypsies were killed in the Holocaust…
Because he's a comedian..... Do you really think that their wives left them and a lot of other stuff that gets joked about?

CCFCSteve

If you advocate for free speech then holocaust denial shouldn't be illegal though like covid denial you have to be an absolute wrong un ro prescribe to that belief.

Exactly. Don’t disagree

edit - Covid denials a funny one. Again, weird. However the closing down of the Covid debates such as ‘Chinese lab leak’ theory by media/social media platforms at the start of the pandemic was very worrying. Who’s making judgments on our behalf ?

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Watching Jimmy Carr is like watching an old Carry On film, at some point you’re going to laugh but the laugh will end with a groan. As others have said you know what you’re getting with Jimmy Carr and you always have the choice of not viewing.

Tommo1993

Many buy tickets for his shows, knowing that he can cut quite close to the bone occasionally, and complain when they hear something they don’t like.

Great comedy in itself.

clint van damme

Hmmm, free speach isn't carte blanche to say what you want though, with free speach comes responsibility.

But then you have to get consensus on what's acceptable, and the danger is nothing will be.
I'll be honest, I think what Carr said was in bad taste,but I'm a big fan of the likes of South Park and Frankie Boyle who've had similar reactions in the past so it would be hypocritical for me to get on my high horse.

skybluetony176

Hmmm, free speach isn't carte blanche to say what you want though, with free speach comes responsibility.
I think that the issue with free speech a lot of people think that means freedom of consequence which of course it doesn’t. That consequence could be someone is offended or you fall on the wrong side of the law. Unless you have parliamentary privilege of course.

SBT

Think the context in this case is people desperately trying to over prove they are a good person and are with whatever bandwagon cause is out that day.

I love dark humour, that's because I can tell the difference between Jokes and somebody actually wanting to go out killing gypsies. Even if it's jokes about things personal and upsetting to me, they are jokes.

Sure, but your irritation with the do-gooders doesn’t mean that every joke is always justifiable. You wouldn’t tell a twisted joke that you enjoy to someone you know would be hurt by it, even if you’d happily share a laugh about it with a different group of friends - that’s just common decency. I assume you’d hold your hands up if you got it wrong and were called out on it. So why shouldn’t a $200 billion media company face the same standard?

Terry_dactyl

Because he's a comedian..... Do you really think that their wives left them and a lot of other stuff that gets joked about?
Sorry, I don’t know what your point is.

I was questioning why I like one comedian and not the other…while recognising that they are both in character ie they’re making stuff up to try and make people laugh.

skybluetony176

But then you have to get consensus on what's acceptable, and the danger is nothing will be.
I'll be honest, I think what Carr said was in bad taste,but I'm a big fan of the likes of South Park and Frankie Boyle who've had similar reactions in the past so it would be hypocritical for me to get on my high horse.
Frankie Boyle big opportunity in comedy was writing with/for Jimmy Carr. True story.

CCFCSteve

check out Jim Jefferies especially earlier shows

Liquid Gold

Also been said that he is quite a nice guy in real life. It's just a stage persona isn't it?
Bullshit. I went to uni with his brother. The guy is a grade A wanker.

Dodges taxes, laughs it off and no repercussions.

Fine, nothing is off bounds on comedy, let’s see him make the same joke about Jews. Let’s see principled anti-racist colleague Rachel Riley turn against him.

They live in this little celeb bubble and do what they like then when Little people question them they think they’re above it.

Nick

Administrator
Sure, but your irritation with the do-gooders doesn’t mean that every joke is always justifiable. You wouldn’t tell a twisted joke that you enjoy to someone you know would be hurt by it, even if you’d happily share a laugh about it with a different group of friends - that’s just common decency. I assume you’d hold your hands up if you got it wrong and were called out on it. So why shouldn’t a $200 billion media company face the same standard?

I also wouldn't get on a soap box and pretend I've never laughed about a dark joke.

Context also comes into it, there's dark jokes about a massive range of things. It's not an hour of Holocaust jokes.

ajsccfc

I find Jimmy Carr isn't the most naturally likeable person, he's got a bit of the uncanny valley about him

Users who are viewing this thread