Job Search (1 Viewer)

Right, most of us have jobs. How did you find yours? Last time I moved it was through the Telegraph but the job section in there has gone downhill and isn't worth bothering.

LastGarrison

I've just come back from travelling and am currently on the rock and roll and have to say the job front is the shittest I have ever seen in.

The telegraph is next to useless, job agencies just aren't taking on, I have signed for 3 and the only job I got offered was for £6 an hour in a call centre but that included working shifts up till 8 p.m. and every other Saturday (fuck that) and the Dole office just have no jobs to offer you.

Have to say the best place I have come across is totaljobs.com who have some decent jobs advertised but then even applying for these it is pot luck as to whether you even get an acknowledgement nevermind an interview.

I'm in a job, but I fancy a change. It's just so difficult to find anything out there. It doesn't help that I'm on a good wage for a 27 year old either. I always aim to earn more than my wage, but it's difficult as i haven't got a degree.

Last edited:

LastGarrison

Yeah I haven't got a degree either but I think in this day and age more employers are looking at experience and skills rather than just a degree and with the increase in Uni fees I think you will see this be increasingly the case.

Problem is currently that employers are exploiting the siutation and offering lower wages for jobs that would usually command a higher wage because they know that there are so many people out there willing to take it just to get back into employment.

If I was yourself in a job that I didn't mind and that paid a decent wage I would certainly sit tight for a year or so.

Any jobs going at your place? ha ha.

Covstu

I would sit tight as the market isnt great (i work in HR!). I have a degree and a masters but in all fairness its all about experience, you have the right skills to meet the job and you will get an interview. we are getting up to 100 candidates for every admin job the market is that busy still.

I would sit tight as the market isnt great (i work in HR!). I have a degree and a masters but in all fairness its all about experience, you have the right skills to meet the job and you will get an interview. we are getting up to 100 candidates for every admin job the market is that busy still.

If I applied for a job that states degree required, would they reject me as I haven't got one?

blueflint

got my 1st job lotta years ago saw sign on door knocked and got a start cant do that now can u :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Nick

Administrator
I just got the urge to start my own business one day.

There is no point leaving a secure job though to go to something not as well paid, sit tight and look for others :)

Covstu

If I applied for a job that states degree required, would they reject me as I haven't got one?

Not definately. A degree usually indicates the 'level' that they are looking for as a level of learning. If you can demonstrate that you have the required skills to do the job they may give you an interview (then its up to you!) and if you are studying at night this also shows you have an interest in developing. You may want to put in the application/interview that you want to learn further about said chosen subject and they may fund it for you if your the right candidate!!

Marty

I found my last job in the telegraph, actually my last 3 jobs infact, every interview I have gotten, I have then gone on to get the job, I'm out of work again now as my last few jobs have just been short term contracts, but it's a hell of a lot better then sitting at home all day and you get to meet loads of new people and pick up similar skills to what I already have.

Users who are viewing this thread