John Eustace (1 Viewer)

Joy Division

Really? Butcher, Black, Neal, Strachan, McAllister, Nilsson, Thorn...

Phil Neal was pretty experienced with Bolton and didn't do too well for us.

Of that list Eric Black, Roland Nilsson and to an extent Strachan did okay.

Our past managers with experience have failed.

Ron Atkinson
Peter Reid
Micky Adams
Iain Dowie
Chris Coleman
Aidy Boothroyd
Mark Robins (can argue he did okay)
Steven Pressley
Tony Mowbray

Sky Blue Kid

Ron Atkinson
Peter Reid
Micky Adams
Iain Dowie

Chris Coleman
Aidy Boothroyd
Steven Pressley
Tony Mowbray

Agree but with the exception of Micky Adams and Ian Dowie. Adams gave us our best ever finish in 30+ years.. 8th,and Dowie started the nucleus of a good team by getting Scott Dann and Danny Fox to CCFC.

Joy Division

Agree but with the exception of Micky Adams and Ian Dowie. Adams gave us our best ever finish in 30+ years.. 8th,and Dowie started the nucleus of a good team by getting Scott Dann and Danny Fox to CCFC.

They were both hardly successes though were they, there was some awful football played under those managers. What happened to their careers after us sums up their abilities.

I'm sure I remember reading that Ray Ranson was behind the Dann and Fox signings, I may be wrong.

Sky Blue Kid

They were both hardly successes though were they, there was some awful football played under those managers. What happened to their careers after us sums up their abilities.

I'm sure I remember reading that Ray Ranson was behind the Dann and Fox signings, I may be wrong.

It was Dowie's brother that scouted Dann and Fox, and Dowie was at Walsall till midnight to see the transfer through. That in my mind is dedication.

Joy Division

It was Dowie's brother that scouted Dann and Fox, and Dowie was at Walsall till midnight to see the transfer through. That in my mind is dedication.

So even though he managed to sign those two very good players and had some money to play with, he was a success for us?

torchomatic

Ron Atkinson
Peter Reid
Micky Adams
Iain Dowie
Chris Coleman
Aidy Boothroyd
Steven Pressley
Tony Mowbray

Yep, with where we are at the moment I don't think we're in a position to see if Mr X can step up and give it a go. We need experience. However, saying that I will support whoever Venus decides who it is.

Mmm...I don't think Strachan "did OK". He was shit and relegated us despite having the biggest budget in our history.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

So even though he managed to sign those two very good players and had some money to play with, he was a success for us?

Dowie was sacked to bring in the numpty Coleman. You could see he was building for the future, and considering were were never near relegation with him is a success compared to the dross brought in after him.

torchomatic

Dowie was sacked to bring in the numpty Coleman. You could see he was building for the future, and considering were were never near relegation with him is a success compared to the dross brought in after him.

He had some good players but he also bought some shit. Weren't players like Borrowdale, Ellery Cairo, De Zeeuw (or whatever his name was) signed by Dowie?

Chipfat

Managers at every level make good and bad signings every year. Some players just don't fit, lose form, confidence or injury effects the player. So although buying or signings players is a part of the job title, getting results and building foundations at the club are more important.

Dowie like every other manager at our club would struggle to compete over a decent amount of time. The best players are sold, budget is trimmed and no structure or standard's are being set. Dowie has been very unlucky not to get another crack at management in my opinion at the right club is a very maticulas in his detail and knowledge of game and players.

Last edited:

Grendel

Managers at every level make good and bad signings every year. Some players just don't fit, lose form, confidence or injury effects the player. So although buying or signings players is a part of the job title, getting results and building foundations at the club are more important.

Dowie like every other manager at our club would struggle to compete over a decent amount of time. The best players are sold, budget is trimmed and no structure or standard'shipping are being set. Dowie has been very unlucky not to get another crack at management in my opinion at the right club is a very maticulas in his detail and knowledge of game and players.

Dowie was here at a time when our wage bill was through the roof. Several players were on 10k a week plus and Doyle was the highest paid.

Rather than building for the future he was burning at an alarming rate. I believe he won 3 of his last 15 league games and had 36 players on the books when he was sacked

RegTheDonk

Did Phil Neal get us to 11th? I recall us dangerously going in the wrong direction and him being sacked, despite winning his last game.

I'll ask my mate at work tomorrow about how Eustace has performed so far, his friend is a huge Kiddy fan.

Sky Blue Kid

Dowie was here at a time when our wage bill was through the roof. Several players were on 10k a week plus and Doyle was the highest paid.

Rather than building for the future he was burning at an alarming rate. I believe he won 3 of his last 15 league games and had 36 players on the books when he was sacked

Really?... Then why did Coleman moan like a bitch when we had 3-4 injuries a couple of weeks after he took charge moaning "We are on the bones of our backsides when we've only got 25 players."

Sky Blue Kid

He had some good players but he also bought some shit. Weren't players like Borrowdale, Ellery Cairo, De Zeeuw (or whatever his name was) signed by Dowie?

Who exactly would you like me to mention from the managership of Hoofroyd, Coleman, and even Mowbray etc, That were absolute gunge?

Gazolba

Maybe we need a woman manager. At least we'd be first at something.

Gosford Green

Most people we have chased this summer have ended up at a rival club, can we expect John Eustace to be announced as Bury`s new manager next week?

Gosford Green

For 3 games under Dowie I thought the club might be going somewhere in the right direction. I was wrong.

Who can forget his managerial epitaph ''Bounebackabilty''.
We do pick them.

torchomatic

Agree but what experienced manager will come here

Mowbray did. Despite our current position we are a club with a great history and are still a "name".

rupert_bear

We don't need experience we need someone to do a job stamp his mark and build a good team. Why not John Eustace ? Been a steady player for years and played in all divisions. Look at Eddie Howe and where he has come from why not Eustace

Joy Division

I think Dowie's managerial career after he left us speaks volumes of his ability

shmmeee

Out of interest, which managers do you consider to have a good transfer record?

Malaka

I cant believe that all of those managers were shit. The common denominator in all of this is Coventry City a managers graveyard. No one really recovers after managing this basket case of a club.

torchomatic

Out of interest, which managers do you consider to have a good transfer record?

Non really, they've all been pretty hit and miss in recent years.

Gint11

Warnock all day. He won't come though. He's not daft nor desperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Yep, with where we are at the moment I don't think we're in a position to see if Mr X can step up and give it a go. We need experience. However, saying that I will support whoever Venus decides who it is.

Mmm...I don't think Strachan "did OK". He was shit and relegated us despite having the biggest budget in our history.

Never seen that video. Great stuff, one of my fave songs & fave artist, though TBF I think the orig. Velvets version is better. ;)

pipkin73

I'm split as what to thinik
John Eustace has played at the lower levels and will know what it takes to get us out of here.
Ex Cov so i assume has a feeling for the club. In the lower levels every game we seemed to face him in he was a class above. So maybe Eustace (if he wants the step up). I think he will know even if only a little, the Cov way (high support for little gain).

ceetee

Mowbray did. Despite our current position we are a club with a great history and are still a "name".
The problem is that the club's financial situation has worsened since TM came and recent publicity following the petition will have made that all to obvious to anyone who might have come despite our previous situation

Users who are viewing this thread