John Terry - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Recently, I have been conducting research on the latest incidents of racism in football and whether this is a new phase or has been present for a number of years. Today (Friday) John Terry has been removed as captain of England ahead of his court appearance in July. I'm interested to know what you think of this and whether Terry should go to the European Championships. I've set up a 3-question survey that will take you less than a minute to complete - just go to: http://www.topfan.co.uk

Thanks in advance.

Otis

I think he should still go.

He is either 1. A liar, or 2. Innocent.

If he is innocent as he claims, then why should he be denied the chance to play in the Euros?

its a disgrace he has been stripped of the captaincy, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? wouldnt be surprised if they give the captaincy to rio or ashley cole just to be seen to be doing their bit for the blacks, it makes me so mad

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Glad he's been stripped of captaincy. The man is a thug.

CUS Wyken

its a disgrace he has been stripped of the captaincy, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? wouldnt be surprised if they give the captaincy to rio or ashley cole just to be seen to be doing their bit for the blacks, it makes me so mad

I don’t like Capello but fair play to him sticking up for his players. The FA have no backbone.

The media and others already have Terry guilty.

I see Barton keeps rambling on aswell.

The Ferdinand brothers are both a pair of lemon’s anyway. Anton the angel who failed to turn up for a court appearance last year and Rio the Angel who failed to turned up for a drugs test.

Otis

Yep. People have already decided he's guilty.

A bloke on Radio 5 Live this morning said that every black player in the England squad should refuse to play in the Euro's this Summer, but then he did add that this was based upon something Terry may or may not have said. :facepalm: He then started talking about Terry sympathisers. No, re-word that as people who believe in adhering to the law of the land of a man being innocent until proven guilty.

Someone else on 5 Live mentioned that when Bobby Moore was charged over robbery just before the 1970 World Cup he got the full backing of the country and none of this nonsense. At the moment it is trial by media.

What would you do if you were John Terry? Honestly think about it. If you really believed in your innocence and had the chance to captain your country and play in the European Championships against the best sides in Europe would you really turn that opportunity down because people have decided you're guilty?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

He could have done what Chris Huhne did last week Otis; have the decency to resign from his position until such time as he cleared his name; or not as the case may be. I have copied and pasted below - as I can't be bothered to type again, or summon further thought on the subject, that which I posted on a rare GMK visit earlier today.....

No one who’s seen the footage and has any semblance of an ability to lip-read has any doubt as to his guilt. If I had used such terminology in any ground, I’d have been rightfully sentenced and banned from every stadium for the next ten years. Which leads me onto….

… point 2. Terry chose his own plea, and the timing of the full hearing after the championships – this being because – allegedly – the Chelsea players would be too distracted to offer witness during a season. His legal stance, and the ‘non-availability’ of his team-mates to bear witness is what moved it back to after the championships and thus gave the FA a decision to grapple with.

Speaking of which, what are they to do? Think about the iconic pictures of ’66 with Moore holding the World Cup. What if – by some biblical happenchance of fortune – we won this tournament only to have Terry lift the trophy; then he potentially be found guilty of a racially-motivated crime a month or so later. How tainted would be the hands upon that trophy? I certainly wouldn’t want my memory of such an auspicious event tarnished by the presence of this vile creature.

This is the second major international tournament we’ve gone into with Terry’s behaviour over-shadowing events, and dividing the camp. Which might be marginally palatable or excusable if he were the next Eusebio; but he’s not. He’s a half-decent Premiership player, constantly and incessantly highlighted as the international dinosaur he is every time he plays in Europe, with an ego that’s been massaged by Chelsea and Sky Sports to the point when he simply believes he’s above the law. He’s not special enough to warrant even a slither of the accommodation he’s afforded.

And his hair looks like it’s been cut by his Mum with a set of blunt carrots to add insult to injury.

Which brings me nicely onto Capello; who’s blindness to the above is abhorrent. Especially Terry’s hair. Again, thinking back to the way we performed at the World Cup – and quite how we were blown out of the water by a half-decent German team; has me wondering why he’s so precious as to be afforded his ‘highest paid national team manager in the world’ exaltation, and all the reverence that goes therewith? Great club manager – sure; passable national coach – still to be established in my mind. But certainly not sufficient a stella-performer to warrant putting up with such preciousness as that exhibited in recent days. If I were the FA, I’d have him in and push his contract right into his ugly Fraggle Rockesque-face and remind his of his behavioural obligations to his employer, and indirectly to us, the footballing fans of every colour

Stevec189

I think most employers would ask someone to step away from work until the court process had completed. Inncent you can come back to work - guilty you probably get the push. terry should step down from playing football until such time as he can clear his name and concentrate 100% on the job in hand.
PUSB

Last edited:

Otis

He could have done what Chris Huhne did last week Otis; have the decency to resign from his position until such time as he cleared his name; or not as the case may be. I have copied and pasted below - as I can't be bothered to type again, or summon further thought on the subject, that which I posted on a rare GMK visit earlier today.....

No one who’s seen the footage and has any semblance of an ability to lip-read has any doubt as to his guilt. If I had used such terminology in any ground, I’d have been rightfully sentenced and banned from every stadium for the next ten years. Which leads me onto….

… point 2. Terry chose his own plea, and the timing of the full hearing after the championships – this being because – allegedly – the Chelsea players would be too distracted to offer witness during a season. His legal stance, and the ‘non-availability’ of his team-mates to bear witness is what moved it back to after the championships and thus gave the FA a decision to grapple with.

Speaking of which, what are they to do? Think about the iconic pictures of ’66 with Moore holding the World Cup. What if – by some biblical happenchance of fortune – we won this tournament only to have Terry lift the trophy; then he potentially be found guilty of a racially-motivated crime a month or so later. How tainted would be the hands upon that trophy? I certainly wouldn’t want my memory of such an auspicious event tarnished by the presence of this vile creature.

This is the second major international tournament we’ve gone into with Terry’s behaviour over-shadowing events, and dividing the camp. Which might be marginally palatable or excusable if he were the next Eusebio; but he’s not. He’s a half-decent Premiership player, constantly and incessantly highlighted as the international dinosaur he is every time he plays in Europe, with an ego that’s been massaged by Chelsea and Sky Sports to the point when he simply believes he’s above the law. He’s not special enough to warrant even a slither of the accommodation he’s afforded.

And his hair looks like it’s been cut by his Mum with a set of blunt carrots to add insult to injury.

Which brings me nicely onto Capello; who’s blindness to the above is abhorrent. Especially Terry’s hair. Again, thinking back to the way we performed at the World Cup – and quite how we were blown out of the water by a half-decent German team; has me wondering why he’s so precious as to be afforded his ‘highest paid national team manager in the world’ exaltation, and all the reverence that goes therewith? Great club manager – sure; passable national coach – still to be established in my mind. But certainly not sufficient a stella-performer to warrant putting up with such preciousness as that exhibited in recent days. If I were the FA, I’d have him in and push his contract right into his ugly Fraggle Rockesque-face and remind his of his behavioural obligations to his employer, and indirectly to us, the footballing fans of every colour

Remember what he said being debated and analysed fully on GMK at the time and the conclusion was that Terry didn't say what he is purported to have said. i didn't see the footage myself, but isn't the defence that he shouted to Anton Ferdinand 'Do you think I just called you a black c**t, cos i didn't." Or something along those lines.

From what I understand a lot of what he said was blocked by players/officials entering the frame.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole point here was that it wasn't conclusive as to exactly what he said.

Last edited:

Otis

Just found a comment here from back then which sums things up for me.

You can’t really tell what he said but if you think you know what it was it’s quite easy to ‘falsely’ fit those words into the video.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Completed....I think that John's position as England captain became untenable upon the accusation, his selection as a player would split the England Camp.. I dont think he should or will go to the Euro's so therefore his tenure as captain ended by default?
My own personal view, having seen the footage.. guilty.. but we'll see?

Last edited:
to reignite an older thread, just came across this:
http://soccerlens.com/the-john-terry-controversies-a-complete-list/86817/

case closed on him being a tosser either way

I don't know why anyone wants to defend him after reading that lot , I can understand a bloke making one big mistake in his life or even a bad drunken mistake . But a list like that is just ridiculous . I know we could all dig dirt on players but this bloke comes across quite simply as a tosser as you say.

Otis

Didn't know about half those things. :(

You have to say with that back catalogue he should never have been made England captain in the first place.

Captaining your country is so much more a responisble job than that of a club captain.

Users who are viewing this thread