Jones. Pros and cons (1 Viewer)

better days

Listening to fans yesterday it's obvious that most can see that the kid has a lot about him but needs to work on his weaknesses.
'Infuriating' was one description I overheard

The cons: sometimes giving the ball away in dangerous areas. For example to Ashley Chambers on the half way line with a careless square pass which almost led to a goal in the first few minutes.
Often choosing the wrong option when there was a chance of a pass to an overlapping colleague
Not always knowing how to cope when opponents double up on him as Boro did in the second half. Trying to run past both of them is hardly ever the best option

Pros: The lovely cross for Bev's goal, plus several other similar crosses that also could easily have ended with goals from Ponticelli (who has great movement btw) or Bev
A lovely threaded diagonal pass through to Thomas which looked a nailed on goal but the keeper managed to smother as Kwame tried to make too sure
A great move with team mates down the right which ended with Jones hitting the post with a smart shot
The outstanding winner from range when the team was under pressure following Boro's equaliser

A couple of long range shots over the bar could be seen as pros or cons. Pros that he has the confidence to try, cons because they didn't make the keeper work

What the lad needs most is for coaches to go through the footage after games showing where he could improve
For example when teams double up on him he needs to look for overlapping team mates or short passes into the forward's feet for one-twos or to draw fouls in dangerous areas

Nick

Administrator
Biggest con is how predictable he is, any full back should just show him onto his right foot time and time again and he has nothing.

I thought their RB was quite good yesterday, he just kept blocking off Jones on his left foot and all he could do is stop and turn back and play it to Leahy over and over again.

fatso

He's still a kid learning his trade. People need to show a little patience, he has talent, so why not get behind him and boost his confidence.
Yesterday he made a goal, scored a goal, and made Nuneaton have to double up on him, and yet some fuckers are still not happy!

ceetee

My friend says about Jones and a few other lads, that they have lots of skills but don't know how to play football.
That, surely can be taught.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Happy to be proved wrong with him, have said it many times.

The thing is, if you watched him last season you would see a player that didn't look anywhere near playing professional mens football. He was like a slightly weaker version of Kent, and Kent was shit.

I really hope he comes into it this season, and I'll support him throughout.

fernandopartridge

He's still a kid learning his trade. People need to show a little patience, he has talent, so why not get behind him and boost his confidence.
Yesterday he made a goal, scored a goal, and made Nuneaton have to double up on him, and yet some fuckers are still not happy!

I know, this is the group of fans who got on the back of Jacob Murphy though, remember that.

covcity4life

Happy to be proved wrong with him, have said it many times.

The thing is, if you watched him last season you would see a player that didn't look anywhere near playing professional mens football. He was like a slightly weaker version of Kent, and Kent was shit.

I really hope he comes into it this season, and I'll support him throughout.

Jacob murphy was shit as well right?

Fills me with confidence thst you do not rate jones

Nick

Administrator
It isn't so much him being shit, it's that he obviously has strengths and weaknesses and needs to work on the weaknesses and play to his strengthes.

Everytime the full back showed him onto his right foot he was lost yesterday.

ccfcway

It isn't so much him being shit, it's that he obviously has strengths and weaknesses and needs to work on the weaknesses and play to his strengthes.

Everytime the full back showed him onto his right foot he was lost yesterday.

all the more reason why perhaps his best position is right wing

harvey098

Biggest con is how predictable he is, any full back should just show him onto his right foot time and time again and he has nothing.

I thought their RB was quite good yesterday, he just kept blocking off Jones on his left foot and all he could do is stop and turn back and play it to Leahy over and over again.

This is wrong. He's gone on the outside of defenders loads. I remember him setting up 2 goals this way just from the top of my head.

Nick

Administrator
all the more reason why perhaps his best position is right wing

It could be, that's where he was when he scored. If he can get in and get a shot off or play a pass it's more dangerous than on the left last night.

Nick

Administrator
This is wrong. He's gone on the outside of defenders loads. I remember him setting up 2 goals this way just from the top of my head.

That's why I said any defender should, which is what their RB did all game. Jones tried to play the ball one side and get round him but got outpaced and lost it a couple of times.

If he got on the outside and had the chance to be all on his left he would be dangerous, just saying what defenders will do against him.

Last edited:

baldy

[QUOTE="harvey098, post: 1368478, member: 2225"I remember him setting up 2 goals this way just from the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

He's set up 2 goals whilst being on top of your head? Surely that's his best position then

lifeskyblue

For me jones has lots of talent but as yet lacks consistency and a plan b. I agree his over preference for his left foot can make it easy for defenders to read his game. I'm sure the coaching staff are working with him to use his right more.
Like Murphy and Kent before he has good games and then drifts out for long periods. But like them he is young and developing his game. I'm sure that he will improve as long as we fans give him a chance.
Kent, for me, was the most exciting prospect I had seen in years; yes his final ball wasn't always there but his ability kept defences occupied and created space for the likes of Armstrong. I believe Jones can do something similar and drag defenders away from the main strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueScottie

Some of the comments on here are ridiculous, he is youngster, learning in each game, check out this thread, someone is moaning cos he tried to beat his man after they doubled up on him, others are saying he just passed it to Leahy...

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Whenever i saw him he had that threst even though he didnt play all that well. Hes 19. A good player to have on books and if plays regulary will have a good season for us

The type.of player othet leagur 2 forims will be posting aboit how our.ponytailed winger ripped them apart etc

Exactly. He has the threat and the talent, but rarely does anything with it.

I hope this season he improves because he has a lot of potential, but up until this point it isn't unreasonable to point out criticisms.

lifeskyblue

He was shit for us.

Have to disagree with you. He was exciting, direct and had superb control. Yes he was young and drifted out of games and yes his final ball was not always great. BUT he always had two or more on him, he got the crowd excited and showed he had great potential. When we get young loans they are not the finished article but kids being thrown into the men's game. At times watching Kent with the ball was worth the admission money alone.

Irish Sky Blue

Have to disagree with you. He was exciting, direct and had superb control. Yes he was young and drifted out of games and yes his final ball was not always great. BUT he always had two or more on him, he got the crowd excited and showed he had great potential. When we get young loans they are not the finished article but kids being thrown into the men's game. At times watching Kent with the ball was worth the admission money alone.

I agree. I thought Kent, like Murphy was a good exciting player. I think Jones has the potential to improve and become a dangerous player for us.

SkyBlueScottie

Under Robins I believe Jones will become a better footballer and will begin to make the correct decisions during the game more often than not. Take Wembley for example, when he got on the ball near the end of the game, and carried it down to their penalty area away from our goal, before Robins Im not sure he would have done that. He also did it in a few games at the end of the season. Robins seems to be able to get players to make better decisions when playing.

Liquid Gold

Lee Burge who is 24 is supposed to be allowed time to develop even though he keeps kicking the ball out of play and cant catch. Jodi Jones who is 19 should be binned off because he doesn't make the right decision every time even though he puts defences under pressure.

I despair.

fernandopartridge

Under Robins I believe Jones will become a better footballer and will begin to make the correct decisions during the game more often than not. Take Wembley for example, when he got on the ball near the end of the game, and carried it down to their penalty area away from our goal, before Robins Im not sure he would have done that. He also did it in a few games at the end of the season. Robins seems to be able to get players to make better decisions when playing.

He also did a good job of that in the Wycombe game. It was something Murphy was good at too, carrying the ball a long distance to take the pressure off the defence.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen anyone that skillful in a Coventry shirt. It was what he did with it that was extremely frustrating, predictable, and seemingly absent from people's memories.

I didn't understand why people started standing up as he skinned 2 players, 99 times out of 100 the ball ended up as a throw in/goal kick to the opposition team, that's if a pass didn't go missing instead. It was painfully frustrating and really predictable. I never got out of my seat following his first few games and didn't regret it once.

It was odd, someone that had the ability to skin a defence twice over, but couldn't pass a ball 5 yards. It was like watching the Happy Gilmore of football.

clint van damme

For me jones has lots of talent but as yet lacks consistency and a plan b. I agree his over preference for his left foot can make it easy for defenders to read his game. I'm sure the coaching staff are working with him to use his right more.
Like Murphy and Kent before he has good games and then drifts out for long periods. But like them he is young and developing his game. I'm sure that he will improve as long as we fans give him a chance.
Kent, for me, was the most exciting prospect I had seen in years; yes his final ball wasn't always there but his ability kept defences occupied and created space for the likes of Armstrong. I believe Jones can do something similar and drag defenders away from the main strikers.

theres more chance of him being the next maradonna than there is of our support giving him a chance.

Grendel

I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen anyone that skillful in a Coventry shirt. It was what he did with it that was extremely frustrating, predictable, and seemingly absent from people's memories.

I didn't understand why people started standing up as he skinned 2 players, 99 times out of 100 the ball ended up as a throw in/goal kick to the opposition team, that's if a pass didn't go missing instead. It was painfully frustrating and really predictable. I never got out of my seat following his first few games and didn't regret it once.

It was odd, someone that had the ability to skin a defence twice over, but couldn't pass a ball 5 yards. It was like watching the Happy Gilmore of football.

Pace even on its own has merit. It pulls defenders one side and limits full backs advancing forward from the opposition.

The likes of John Williams, Misfud etc showed that. Huckerby was an example of a player with real pace and purpose. But even pace with little purpose has merit.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Pace even on its own has merit. It pulls defenders one side and limits full backs advancing forward from the opposition.

The likes of John Williams, Misfud etc showed that. Huckerby was an example of a player with real pace and purpose. But even pace with little purpose has merit.

It's not as effective as you think if the players that are now in space cannot get the ball 99 times out of 100.

Users who are viewing this thread