Josh Eccles (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

Our best player for much of the season and it's great that a number of others have since come up to, and in a few cases, above his level. I often feel it takes particular character to play well when those around you aren't, which was the case at the start of the season with Eccles.

stevefloyd

Look the lads done well very well at times but as good as he has been we need someone better at times to be up there challenging, footballs a cruel world and Eccles is not yet the finished article and if he becomes that finished article with us thats fine if somewhere else time will tell

Yorkshire SB

Think he finally believes he deserves to be in the team. Looked like a player lacking a bit of confidence in the past, which is understandable.

Terry_dactyl

I really don’t understand the criticism he gets. I think he’s been excellent for us for the most part.
I dislike it when people comment on here about ‘how they said so-and-so was great’ x amount of years ago/‘I called it first’ etc etc etc…but that’s exactly what I’m going to do here! One of his first touches when he came on vs Southend at Stans was sublime…I said to the Cardiff fan sat next to me, “with a bit of luck that lad is gonna be quality”.
*Smug face*

PVA

Really good player. I think he would get in most teams in the division.

Always thought he was a great talent when I first saw him play, he's progressing quicker than I expected though.

Calista

Maybe you are thinking of the same moment as me - wasn't it a brilliant flick or dummy in an attacking move? Not really representative of his play as we know him now, but impressive from a youngster at the time!
Actually think he has the potential to add goals and assists to his game, which on top of his excellent ball-winning and ball retention would make him a top player at this level.

(Edit - this was in reply to Terry-dactyl)

Hertsccfc

I really don’t understand the criticism he gets. I think he’s been excellent for us for the most part.
I dislike it when people comment on here about ‘how they said so-and-so was great’ x amount of years ago/‘I called it first’ etc etc etc…but that’s exactly what I’m going to do here! One of his first touches when he came on vs Southend at Stans was sublime…I said to the Cardiff fan sat next to me, “with a bit of luck that lad is gonna be quality”.
*Smug face*
I think it's because of the role he plays and because he is not an exotic signing from a foreign league. Don't get me wrong I love watching players like Sakamoto, Wright, Palmer and O'Hare but it's a team game and every side needs a balance of players like them and ones like Eccles.

His strengths are his positional and tactical awareness, covering especially for the defence, anticipation and rarely giving the ball away. These are crucial but not necessarily as exciting to the fans as the skills of players like Sakamoto.

fernandopartridge

Look the lads done well very well at times but as good as he has been we need someone better at times to be up there challenging, footballs a cruel world and Eccles is not yet the finished article and if he becomes that finished article with us thats fine if somewhere else time will tell

We are up there and challenging and were last season once he established himself in the side.

PVA

Tbf think most concerns were over his injury record (which touch wood, thing of the past) and not his potential/ability.

Some were, some weren't.

But at the time of signing the contract he'd been available for 20 out of 25 games that season

Terry_dactyl

Maybe you are thinking of the same moment as me - wasn't it a brilliant flick or dummy in an attacking move? Not really representative of his play as we know him now, but impressive from a youngster at the time!
Actually think he has the potential to add goals and assists to his game, which on top of his excellent ball-winning and ball retention would make him a top player at this level.

Yes. It was certainly an attacking move. Something he did with ease and all in one movement.
I think he’s got potential to get even better and doesn’t seem afraid to have a shot so I agree, there could be more to come.

Hobo

Eccles made a significant contribution last season and is doing so again this season. He is also showing signs that he is still developing as a player. I think his temperament has been pretty good too.

I don't get the need to knock our players all the time considering the progress the club has made in recent years.

The reality is every player at every club can potentially be up graded. Some times you just need to appreciate what you have got.

Londonccfcfan

He's been excellent and is now a proven beyond doubt championship quality defensive midfielder. He's done so well considering he's competing with Hamer/Sheaf/Allen. To sit and complement these is not easy task.

wingy

I think we we'll see a couple or three before the seasons over, beautiful technique from the lad!

olderskyblue

Important member of the squad

Brighton Sky Blue

Best CCFC Academy graduates since the turn of the century:

1. Maddison
2. Wilson
3. McSheffrey
4. Eccles

Nuff said, but needs to lose that facial hair pronto

stupot07

Surely Christie above Eccles and maybe Mcsheffrey
Yeah Christie Has played in the premier league, c300+ championship appearances and got 30 international caps; Ben Turner too played in the premier league, and our season crashed as soon as we sold him. Excluding Kirkland and Davenport.

1) Madison
2) Wilson
3) McSheffrey
4) Christie
5) Ben Turner
6) Eccles

Could you include Che Adams? Released by the academy aged 14.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Yeah Christie Has played in the premier league, c300+ championship appearances and got 30 international caps; Ben Turner too played in the premier league, and our season crashed as soon as we sold him. Excluding Kirkland and Davenport.

1) Madison
2) Wilson
3) McSheffrey
4) Christie
5) Ben Turner
6) Eccles

Could you include Che Adams? Released by the academy aged 14.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
…better than Marcus Hall? and John Eustace?

Mucca Mad Boys

I like Eccles but if we want to progress to the next level, he’ll probably slip down the pecking order in my view.

Sheaf and Eccles have stepped since Hamer has left, but is that area of the pitch better than last season? I’d say no.

Even before COH got injured last season, we generally 3-4-1-2/3-4-2-1 so the Hamer-Sheaf-COH isn’t so different to Eccles-Sheaf-COH this season.

In my view, if we have a player with a similar passing range to Hamer, that improves us as a team. With Sheaf being de facto captain of the team, you wouldn’t drop him if Torp turned out to be a superstar in the making (for example).

Ash

May have been mentioned elsewhere, but if Torp is the real deal then I can see Eccles being dropped. No denying his contribution this season though, and particularly over the last 10 games as the OP suggests.

Skybluedownunder

May have been mentioned elsewhere, but if Torp is the real deal then I can see Eccles being dropped. No denying his contribution this season though, and particularly over the last 10 games as the OP suggests.

Can Torp take a corner? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yank

Tidy little player on his day and gives his all for the shirt; that's all we can ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread