Kevin Malaga placed on transfer list (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

You can expect what the hell you want. If its the right appointment ill applaud it appropriately. But I'll always hold the opinion that the way it was handled was a disaster. For which Waggott holds responsibility

And nobody here's disputing that-so what's your problem?

Sick Boy

Ridiculous. Absoloutley ridiculous. He was by far our best defender until he was dropped from the side for some reason. He was afraid to go in for a challenge like Brown and Wood seem to be. He isnt costing us the earth in wages and he's a damn sight better than brown so why kick him out?

I imagine that Premier League club will be back in for him very quickly now. If not, then surely a Championship club would be interested in our 'best defender'.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Secondarily-Thorn does not get absolved of blame in this mess.

I didn't for one moment think you would. But I said 'primarily'. If you think of much of Robins as I think you do, then you'd conclude with him at the helm from the start of the season we'd be further up the table.

If that's the case, not making the decision on a sensible basis is the crux of our current plight; which surely makes it 'primarily' Waggott's fault, no?

Otis

Can't be arsed to read all the ripostes backwards and forwards, but I would think that Thorn identified players, Waggott would assist and Fisher would say whether or not we could afford them.

Thorn - Chose players (with assistance from Waggott)

Waggott and Fisher - Sort out the contracts and lengths of such.

Brighton Sky Blue

I didn't for one moment think you would. But I said 'primarily'. If you think of much of Robins as I think you do, then you'd conclude with him at the helm from the start of the season we'd be further up the table.

If that's the case, not making the decision on a sensible basis is the crux of our current plight; which surely makes it 'primarily' Waggott's fault, no?

Thorn's incompetence as manager got us relegated and instilled a crap attitude in the squad which is hard to budge.

J

Jack Griffin

Waggot definitely spends time going to matches & looking at players...

Sick Boy

You couldn't make it up....

First people try to credit Thorn for making signings as a scout before he even came to the club, or who were recommended by someone else. (Dann, Fox, Gunnarsson etc), effectively claiming that the manager didn't identify such players and bring them into the club.

Then we have signings such as ROD, who had to be an AB signings - why? No one really knows.

Then when it appeared that Thorn was lauded for bringing in Nimley & Norwood and even more so for bringing in the players over the summer. They were even described as Thorn's final gift to the club, before the evil SISU fired him after only being in charge for 3 games.

Then, when the players didn't look as good as they were believed to be, the responsibility was shared.

Now we are led to believe that neither the manager or scout is responsible or can be held accountable, Waggot now scouts and signs our players.

Skyblueheff

Work it out! We have 7 centre backs.
Christie Cameron and Wills won't go cos they are cheap and have potential
We can,t just send BRown back cos he is shite as he will be on a loan for a period of time.
We tried to get rid of Wood but either somebody has to agree a contract with him or not. Would you move to a job that paid you 25% of what you earn't now???
Which leaves the Edge and Malaga. Take your pick but one of them can do one!

Otis

Can we stop talking about Thorn!

He's moved on with his life, why can't people move on with theirs lol

Trouble is, he brought 9 new players in. While any of these 9 players continue to under-perform the trail is always going to lead back to him.

Until it is Robins with his team this is going to run and run and run. Going to just have to get used to it I'm afraid.

lordsummerisle

Calling Nimley and Norwood unknown kid is laughable.

Don't know what is less than unkown?

Invisible? Yet to exist in this dimension?

Must be what Nimely and Norwood were when they on loan at Middlesborough and Scunthorpe respectively earlier the same season.

The only thing unkown is Miserable Mono-Maniac's thought processes.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Trouble is, he brought 9 new players in. While any of these 9 players continue to under-perform the trail is always going to lead back to him.

Until it is Robins with his team this is going to run and run and run. Going to just have to get used to it I'm afraid.
But that wasn't accepted as an excuse last season for Thorn when he was managing mostly Colemans/Aidys players. I know he was scout but the players were scouted under different criteria depending on what the current manager was looking for, for his style of play. When these players underperformed the current manager at the time was taking the stick

Only 2 of of the 9 summer signings started vs MK Dons and 3 of Robins loans started this game so the team vs MK Dons consisted more of Robins summer signings that Thorns

SkyBlue_Bear83

Calling Nimley and Norwood unknown kid is laughable.
Norwood had played at league 1 level before we signed him on loan, we were the only championship club willing to take the risk on him and he was fantastic for us so was a good signing by the manager and club?

Norwood was relatively unknown when we signed him, we gave him the platform to create a career for him at championship level

Aren't you always defending Adams when Wise is mentioned as the reason we did well saying we should give him credit for the signing? Surely this is a similar situation?

Otis

But that wasn't accepted as an excuse last season for Thorn when he was managing mostly Colemans/Aidys players. I know he was scout but the players were scouted under different criteria depending on what the current manager was looking for, for his style of play. When these players underperformed the current manager at the time was taking the stick

Only 2 of of the 9 summer signings started vs MK Dons and 3 of Robins loans started this game so the team vs MK Dons consisted more of Robins summer signings that Thorns

Difference is, as follows:

1. We were one of the favourites to go up this season.

2. AT said we were very much aiming for promotion.

3. AT said that all the 9 signings were very good quality.

Last season we were struggling and looked likely to struggle whoever was at the helm. This season we were promised a winning team and fans were expecting a winning team. That combined with AT really bigging up the 9 players makes the scenario quite different.

AT will continue to be judged on these 9 players. Boothroyd's signings were brought into focus when AT was managing AB's team too anyway. Lots of posts about Platt etc. and AB's judgement I recall.

Sick Boy

Norwood had played at league 1 level before we signed him on loan, we were the only championship club willing to take the risk on him and he was fantastic for us so was a good signing by the manager and club?

Norwood was relatively unknown when we signed him, we gave him the platform to create a career for him at championship level

Aren't you always defending Adams when Wise is mentioned as the reason we did well saying we should give him credit for the signing? Surely this is a similar situation?

How was Norwood relatively unknown?

I am confused how it works though now...it seems that whoever had the role Waggot now holds should have been given the credit. Now that it seems the responsibility is down to Waggot, shouldn't Waggot be praised for bringing Norwood & Nimley into the club?

Grendel

No-one has stated that; but ludicrous though that sounds - that's the way Thorn's vilified on here

No it's not. Thorn is vilified on here because he was a hopeless useless inadequate who ultimately was not ever even man enough to own up to his own shortcomings.

Why this thread is now resulting in such polarised views is embarrassment. Embarasment from all those that backed him. What is it some said about him?

Best manager since Jimmy Hill
A great scout who unearths gens
Give him £2 million and he would get anyone promoted.

The other night Jim Blythe summed it up he should never have been given the job a d his tactics were a significant factor in relegation.

But still people flail away and find excuse after excuse and search for more scapegoats. Now as the scouting myth is also exposed we have to believe he never signed the players in the summer. Waggot did, the car park attendant did, anyone did but dear old thorny.

Sorry MMM context and excuses do not interest me. Performances and victories are of interest to me. Thorn equals relegation, poor signings and continued failure. The fact that many still defend him and his record perhaps suggest we deserve to be where we are.

I don't think I need to drop my obsession with thorn I think you do. Personally I wish I had never heard the name Andy thorn as I hold him as the major culprit for the desperate state we find ourselves in.

blueflint

I wish I had never heard the name Andy thorn as I hold him as the major culprit for the desperate state we find ourselves in.

not the major culprit that started earlier but a significant factor yes

Otis

We do need to draw a line under all this, but it was clear Andy Thorn was simply not up to the job and I will be very surprised if he ever gets a job in football management again.

All the excuses in the world do not hide the fact that he came up woefully short of what was required to manage a football club.

Grendel

We do need to draw a line under all this, but it was clear Andy Thorn was simply not up to the job and I will be very surprised if he ever gets a job in football management again.

All the excuses in the world do not hide the fact that he came up woefully short of what was required to manage a football club.

The real nagging worry is that it was obvious regardless of circumstance he was never a leader. A disastrous communicator and hopeless as a figurehead. Yet and yet he still persuaded our current board he deserved another chance.

Otis

I'm happy to move on, but while the players he brought in continue to be under the spotlight, he himself will also continue to be in the spotlight too.

Hasn't helped at all that we have had such a bad start to the season and the players that have been brought in haven't at all shone. In fact, quite the opposite.

SkyBlue_Bear83

How was Norwood relatively unknown?

I am confused how it works though now...it seems that whoever had the role Waggot now holds should have been given the credit. Now that it seems the responsibility is down to Waggot, shouldn't Waggot be praised for bringing Norwood & Nimley into the club?
Yes, Waggot is included when I said a good signing by the club.

Outside of proper Man Utd fans who follow the club from senior all the way down to academy I doubt many fans knew about Norwood. Even if they had heard about him I doubt they would have any idea about what type of player he was or if he was any good

Before he joined us he had only played 25 games at league 1 level in his career, I would say that makes him an unknown at championship level football

SkyBlue_Bear83

I wouldn't disagree with that, what my point I was trying to make in my last post is that we shouldn't use Thorn's signings to defend Robins if things don't go to plan. As I pointed out the team vs Dons was as much Robins own team as well as Thorns

Users who are viewing this thread