Kevin Phillips - Lesson to be learned? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Phillips, who started his career at Watford, said that the booing of the Watford fans as he went to take the penalty yesterday, spurred him on.

Now when ex players leave usually and come back for an opposing team they do get a bit of stick, but usually that is only reserved for those who left under a cloud or made no impact or weren't particularly rated.

Well that's the way it used to be. If you had a good servant to your club come back you would never ever give them any kind of rough ride out of pure respect.

Have noticed the past 2 or 3 seasons though City fans here giving ex players stick and indeed even those who were good servants to the club.

Ex players who have been cast adrift obviously want to make a point, but why as fans would we want to spur on good servants to the club in the past for them to want to rub our noses in?

Maybe, just maybe, if the Watford fans had cheered Phillips as he stepped up to take the pen rather than boo him, or just remained silent, he might not have taken the penalty with such aplomb.

Booing him just made him more determined.

Pusb1

thats ridiculas!!!.... so say for example Richard Keogh... who was probably a fans favourite last year at least.. was taking a penalty .. us vs Derby in the Championship playoff final (in theory clearly won't be happening any time soon)... and it was 115 minutes in... your instinct would not be to cheer and clap!... you would be devastated... probably be close to tears and know that derby would probably be in the Prem over us... of course you would boo.

Otis

thats ridiculas!!!.... so say for example Richard Keogh... who was probably a fans favourite last year at least.. was taking a penalty .. us vs Derby in the Championship playoff final (in theory clearly won't be happening any time soon)... and it was 115 minutes in... your instinct would not be to cheer and clap!... you would be devastated... probably be close to tears and know that derby would probably be in the Prem over us... of course you would boo.

I wouldn't boo.

I wouldn't cheer him either mind. I would just stay silent.

Kevin Phillips said the booing made him more determined and focused on scoring. Therefore the booing didn't work did it.

Noggin

Booing didn't make him more focused, either he was ignoring the booing and totally focused on what he was doing in which case it was irrelevant, or he was thinking about it, in which case it made him less focused. He might well belive what he said but it doesn't make it true.

Any player stepping up for a penalty to get into the premiership is already going to be giving it his best, no booing or cheering is going to help, it can only hinder.

It's normal service to boo and jeer and whistle and make the maximum noise you can when an opposition player is taking an important penalty weather or not they have played for you.

actually I can think of a time when booing could help, if a player is wracked with nerves and the booing makes him angry then the anger may overwrite the nerves and it's quite possible though I don't know for sure that anger reduces your chance of missing less than being petrified. You probably have more chance of missing the target when angry but if you hit the target perhaps more chance of it going in.

Otis

It's a psychological situation for sure.

Doesn't matter how good a player you are or how good at taking penalties you are. It's also very much to do with focus and state of mind.

The point of my OP anyway wasn't about penalties, it was all about how we treat ex players who were good servants and very much liked when they were here.

No doubt when Sheff comes back we will boo the hell out of him. Apart from the past couple of seasons he's been a very good servant to the club.

Noggin

It's a psychological situation for sure.

Doesn't matter how good a player you are or how good at taking penalties you are. It's also very much to do with focus and state of mind.

The point of my OP anyway wasn't about penalties, it was all about how we treat ex players who were good servants and very much liked when they were here.

No doubt when Sheff comes back we will boo the hell out of him. Apart from the past couple of seasons he's been a very good servant to the club.

I think its different when they are taking a penalty though, I think you can happily cheer an ex player onto and off the pitch while booing,jeering and whistling while they take a penalty without that being conflicting.

For the most part any sort of distraction you can be is either going to make them more likely to miss or will do nothing at all and the later is most likely with experienced players imo but the act of making the noise just helps us feel involved and not so hopeless at a difficult point.

Sick Boy

A lot of CCFC fans have scoffed when we were linked to KP in the past, 'his legs have gone', 'not good enough' etc, yet they believed Cody Mcdonald would be a major success.

Indeed there is a lesson to be learnt here.

Otis

I do think a player is more likely to but put off by fans jumping up and down and waving their arms as a distraction rather than booing.

If Richard Keogh was taking a penalty against us I would just gurn.

Noggin

I do think a player is more likely to but put off by fans jumping up and down and waving their arms as a distraction rather than booing.

Sure but you do both don't you, well the crowd as a whole does anyway.

I don't think it matters who is taking a penalty against you, if it's for a place in the premiership you do everything you can to put them off, ex legend of the club or not. You can cheer them off the pitch later. Of course if they miss the penalty and you start giving them the wanker sign rather than just cheering you are being an ass.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Phillips, who started his career at Watford, said that the booing of the Watford fans as he went to take the penalty yesterday, spurred him on.

Now when ex players leave usually and come back for an opposing team they do get a bit of stick, but usually that is only reserved for those who left under a cloud or made no impact or weren't particularly rated.

Well that's the way it used to be. If you had a good servant to your club come back you would never ever give them any kind of rough ride out of pure respect.

Have noticed the past 2 or 3 seasons though City fans here giving ex players stick and indeed even those who were good servants to the club.

Ex players who have been cast adrift obviously want to make a point, but why as fans would we want to spur on good servants to the club in the past for them to want to rub our noses in?

Maybe, just maybe, if the Watford fans had cheered Phillips as he stepped up to take the pen rather than boo him, or just remained silent, he might not have taken the penalty with such aplomb.

An action that may spur one player on may negatively effect another player in a similar situation

theferret

If Richard Keogh was taking a penalty against us I would just gurn.

Some of us wouldn't need to!

bamalamafizzfazz

I think another point we've missed here is the OP stating that City fans boo every ex player they come up against. I think this is wrong and is reserved for some players and not all. An example for this season is clapping Mickey Doyle for Sheff Utd. A great servant to us who always tried his best but just in the end wasn't good enough. I would never boo or criticise a player like this.
Whereas someone like Bellamy would and should get stick from fans because of his actions towards us!!

Joy Division

I remember Leroy Lita taking a penalty against us at the Ricoh years ago for Reading in front of the CT stand, we created such a noise in the run up to his penalty that even his own manager commented on how it affected his eventual miss.

Booing a penalty and booking an ex-player are different things

fernandopartridge

Have you seriously put that much effort into such banality?

Stafford_SkBlue

Remember Dublin taking a penalty for us with our own supporters waving tenners around the time Middlesborough offered him 1m per year.
Not quite booing but must have been distracting

CovMatt1987

basically - there is no golden rule on this. booing some may spur them on / booing others may put them off / booing others will have no effect at all. If Kevin Phillips needs the oppositions fans booing as a motivational aid, while taking a penalty to almost effectively win his side a place in the Premier League - Id say whats wrong with the man! surely there is enough motivation there already.

Booing did bring up a quite a funny arguement between my friend and I the other day when RVP got booed by Arsenal fans. id be interested to see what people here felt about that one......

Users who are viewing this thread