Walsall v Wigan

Millwall v Peterborough

Bradford v Rochdale

Sheffield United v Port Vale

Monday:

Southend v Burton

Best scenario?

Anything but a Walsall win (preferably a draw) -

A Walsall win would leave us 8 points adrift of the automatics and make life just that little bit tougher. A Wigan win wouldn't quite be as bad, as they would be 7 points clear, but then we would have a game in hand and could narrow that gap back down to 4 should we win that.

Anything but a Millwall win (again preferably a draw though) -

Millwall would over take us with a win. Peterborough are 8 points behind us, but do have a game in hand.

Anything but a Bradford win -

Bradford have suddenly made a burst towards the play-off places. They are 5 points behind us, but with a game in hand. They win today that would obviously just be down to 2.

The Sheff Utd game not quite as important at all, but could do with Sheff Utd. dropping a couple of points to keep them out of the picture. They are 7 points behind, but have played the same amount of games as us.

As for the Southend game? As it would be nigh on impossible for us to catch Burton, a win for them over Southend would probably be the best result for us.

My prediction:

Walsall 1-1 Wigan

Millwall 1-2 Peterborough

Bradford 2-0 Rochdale

Sheff Utd. 1-0 Port Vale

Southend 0-0 Burton

matesx

i'll be glued to Jeff Stelling and the boys later as the scores come in.

Few tinnies.

I enjoy all the scenarios as they unfold without the anxiety of City playing :D

Otis

Me too, Matesx.

Key one obviously is the Walsall Wigan game if we have any thoughts at all about making the top 2.

A draw would leave us as we were and still 6 points behind the 2nd automatic place. Walsall would then have played the same amount of games as us too.

The draw would put Wigan 5 points clear of us, but we would then have a game in hand and should we win that the gap could be down to 2.

If Wigan win they will be 7 points clear, but with having played one game more.

The one scenario we don't want is a Walsall win.

rupert_bear

I hope for a Walsall win to be honest I know it'll put them 8 ahead but still think they are more catchable 8 ahead than Wigan would be 7 ahead. Having said that I think Wigan will beat them

Otis

I hope for a Walsall win to be honest I know it'll put them 8 ahead but still think they are more catchable 8 ahead than Wigan would be 7 ahead. Having said that I think Wigan will beat them
But if Wigan are 7 ahead we will have a game in hand on them, which could cut that gap down to 4.

I would much rather be 4 points behind that 8.

I think a Walsall win could all but kill off any chance of automatic promotion. You would then need 3 City wins in combination with 3 Walsall defeats to catch them.

Either that or us to be winning and them drawing, or that sort of combination.

I would much rather 2nd place were 6 points ahead rather than. 8 any day of the week.

For me we have to be rooting for Walsall not to win. A draw would be the most perfect result for us.

Otis

I hope Walsall Wigan is a draw also but I too would rather walsall won than Wigan.
But Walsall have been consistent all season long and been up there all season long. Wigan have been very inconsistent.

What makes people think Walsall are suddenly going to become inconsistent?

I don't get that at all.

stupot07

I think you're spot on Otis, we don't want Walsall going 8 points ahead, the draw is the best scenario for us. Walsall are probably the best team we've played his season, they have a lot of quality in that side and goalscorer up top, I'm bit sure why woke are suggesting if they go 8 ahead of us they will fall away.

Also agree with the other scores too. The Tuesday fixtures were kind to us, would be great if the results fall nicely for us again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

standupforcity

Let's not assume Burton have already won the league, or even finished in the top two. Still time for their wheels to come off, and they may think they can take their foot off the pedal. So, in my opinion there are more places up for grabs than appear to be at the moment...still a long way to go!!

Otis

Let's not assume Burton have already won the league, or even finished in the top two. Still time for their wheels to come off, and they may think they can take their foot off the pedal. So, in my opinion there are more places up for grabs than appear to be at the moment...still a long way to go!!
The consensus though seems to be they are the strongest team on paper and like Stupot says, Walsall are the best team we have played against this season and I don't see why they would now suddenly fail.

If they were to beat Wigan today wouldn't that just confirm their credentials and show what a good team they are and how hard they are going to be to catch?

A draw keeps both teams within reach. We are 6 points behind 2nd and a draw today will mean we will remain 6 points behind 2nd.

stupot07

Yes, Burton haven't won it, but I still think they are too far ahead for us to catch them now, they would have to do something spectacularly bad for us to catch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

BackRoomRummermill

Lets face it after today's results we may profit or indeed look worse off, what bugs me on this forum if the results go against us the forum us will be full of the usual weirdos calling for Mobray out etc even though we have not kicked a ball. That will truly show their level of intelligence. Positivity costs nothing and can be contagious so let's look at the bigger picture however today goes as we still have a good chance of success which at this stage of the season was beyond my wildest dreams.

standupforcity

Yes, Burton haven't won it, but I still think they are too far ahead for us to catch them now, they would have to do something spectacularly bad for us to catch them.

I agree...but 'it's a funny game football', and with our strengthened squad I fancy us for a strong finish, and if anyone falters it will let us in!

Terry Gibson's perm

I still think Wigan will catch Burton and win the league, just have a feeling Burton could be the one that drops into third last day and then goes out early in the play offs.

ddsdube

Another way of looking at it... If we are most likely to finish in the playoffs, who do we want to get automatic and therefore not be opponents at Wembley!?

Terry Gibson's perm

Another way of looking at it... If we are most likely to finish in the playoffs, who do we want to get automatic and therefore not be opponents at Wembley!?

If we got into the play offs, I wouldn't want to be able to play Wigan or Sheffield United but not bothered about the rest if we play well we can beat any of them.

Otis

I wouldn't want Wigan or Sheff United, or Bradford.

D

Deleted member 2477

Walsall fans not very happy. Bradshaw and oconnor both doubtful for the wigan game :claping hands:

Terry Gibson's perm

Walsall fans not very happy. Bradshaw and oconnor both doubtful for the wigan game :claping hands:

About time some of the other sides had a few injuries to deal with some seem to have been very lucky like Burton

Sick Boy

Lets face it after today's results we may profit or indeed look worse off, what bugs me on this forum if the results go against us the forum us will be full of the usual weirdos calling for Mobray out etc even though we have not kicked a ball. That will truly show their level of intelligence. Positivity costs nothing and can be contagious so let's look at the bigger picture however today goes as we still have a good chance of success which at this stage of the season was beyond my wildest dreams.

How many posters have called for Mowbray to go?

henry the wasp

But Walsall have been consistent all season long and been up there all season long. Wigan have been very inconsistent.

What makes people think Walsall are suddenly going to become inconsistent?

I don't get that at all.

Since the new year Walsall have been very inconsistent. LDWDWLD
Two tough games coming up could make that look much worse. Could also make it look better.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

Not bothered about the teams above really! We need to put 3 wins back to back and then let's have this thread again

Otis

Since the new year Walsall have been very inconsistent. LDWDWLD
Two tough games coming up could make that look much worse. Could also make it look better.
They have consistently been top or top 3 though and that's been for pretty much all season.

That sequence there is W2, D3, L2. Not a bad run of results to be honest.

Warwickhunt

I think Draws in this league are like losses cos the point shifts in just over a month have been dramatic

Otis

I think Draws in this league are like losses cos the point shifts in just over a month have been dramatic
Yep. I know it,'s bleedin obvious, but teams near the top are much more likely to be winning than those down near the bottom and therefore a draw can quite often result in those teams around you at the top gaining ground.

It's a very good point (or not such a good point). That's how we lost so much ground, with those draws.

dongonzalos

To be fair I think there is only one currently calling for his head.
Then there a couple who would deem 7th as failure. Not sure if they would be calling for his head if that happened though?

Otis

To be fair I think there is only one currently calling for his head.
Then there a couple who would deem 7th as failure. Not sure if they would be calling for his head if that happened though?
Guilty as charged! I would now see 7th as failure. This is based on the fact that we have been top six all season long and I think only outside the top six for one single game.

To be top six all year and then fail at the last hurdle, I would say is a failure.

Wouldn't want Mowbray sacked, but his position would have to come under scrutiny if we now fail.

Of course, mitigating circumstances such as key injuries might change my thinking, but after so long in the play-off positions, to not make it now would mean we have failed.

skybluelee

I still think Wigan will catch Burton and win the league, just have a feeling Burton could be the one that drops into third last day and then goes out early in the play offs.

I can see this happening with Burton too. They don't score enough goals and rely on a well-organised back line. Could they cope if they suddenly had a glut of defensive injuries like we've just come through?

stupot07

Guilty as charged! I would now see 7th as failure. This is based on the fact that we have been top six all season long and I think only outside the top six for one single game.

To be top six all year and then fail at the last hurdle, I would say is a failure.

Wouldn't want Mowbray sacked, but his position would have to come under scrutiny if we now fail.

Of course, mitigating circumstances such as key injuries might change my thinking, but after so long in the play-off positions, to not make it now would mean we have failed.

I'd echo this. We were league leaders for much of the first half of the season, and been in top 6 all the way, I would deem 7th a failure from that position. I don't care what we did last season, or what I would have taken before the season kicked off, you have to judge it purely on this season's merit. And it would be a failure of from this position we finished outside the top 6.

I wouldn't call for Mowbray to be sacked either, but we are allowed to scrutinise his decisions, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread