Lack of news? (1 Viewer)

cyril

Anyone know what's going on? Did we jump the gun?

Gray

probably announce it tomorrow i guess. the hacks have probably all finished work

Walking Bird

"Talks are progressing well" is the line on the Offal website ! :pimp:

The Reverend Skyblue

Hang on, weren't you 'totally underwhelmed' yesterday?

Hill83, i think both me and cyril were underwhelmed yesterday, me in particular, but it won't affect our love and loyalty to the club.I've seen many managers in my time supporting Cov, some turn out good uns, and some are poor to crap, i hope and pray this appointment comes into the first bracket.
I was really excited about a Black appointment and to say I was disappointed was an understatement, but as you know in life a day later you can calm down and regather your thoughts and take stock.
I will, and i hope Cyril will, support the club whoever is in charge

hill83

Hill83, i think both me and cyril were underwhelmed yesterday, me in particular, but it won't affect our love and loyalty to the club.I've seen many managers in my time supporting Cov, some turn out good uns, and some are poor to crap, i hope and pray this appointment comes into the first bracket.
I was really excited about a Black appointment and to say I was disappointed was an understatement, but as you know in life a day later you can calm down and regather your thoughts and take stock.

That's me well and truly told! Good post.
Hope Cyril does the same.

Taga

Sounds to me like he's not prepared to take a pay cut from that currently enjoyed at the mighty Falkirk!

Walking Bird

Or he's still waiting for a straight answer to a straight question he's asked .

Nonleagueherewecome

Stick me in that basket along with you and Cyril!

georgehudson

presumably all hinging on a video conf call introducing himself to hands on joy,
that would make interesting viewing / listening,

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't understand this demand for Black every time we're looking for a new manager. His reign here was not only brief but nearly 10 years ago!

Grendel

I don't understand this demand for Black every time we're looking for a new manager. His reign here was not only brief but nearly 10 years ago!

It's purely nostalgia. It harks back to a perceived time when things were better. It like everyone says music was better in the 70's until you look at some old Top of the Pops.

Black did not deserve the boot but there were plenty of lows as well as highs.

If thorn has gone after his caretaker period the frenzy would be the same and equally logic defying.

cyril

Hill83 as I said on the pressley thread when I thought he was set to be appointed. I am 100% behind him and my support will start at scunny Saturday. To which I was told not to be too previous lol
I have faith in waggott

Colonel Mustard

It's purely nostalgia. It harks back to a perceived time when things were better. It like everyone says music was better in the 70's until you look at some old Top of the Pops.

Looking to hire John Sillett and/or George Curtis would be nostalgic. Black is 49 and still in his prime.

There are plenty of healthy reasons to want to hire him: lives locally, available, did well at CCFC before, lots of experience at the higher levels, contacts around the game, bilingual, smart, plays attractive football, etc.

If thorn has gone after his caretaker period the frenzy would be the same and equally logic defying.

They are not comparable. Thorn wasn't fired - he was given a full season and change, while Black was much more than a caretaker - he had charge of the first team for over half a season, not just a handful of games. More than that, you couldn't look at Black's team and say that he was lucky to have a Marlon King in there edging out a 1-0 win - the entire football culture changed and the results were huge.

Grendel

Looking to hire John Sillett and/or George Curtis would be nostalgic. Black is 49 and still in his prime.

There are plenty of healthy reasons to want to hire him: lives locally, available, did well at CCFC before, lots of experience at the higher levels, contacts around the game, bilingual, smart, plays attractive football, etc.

They are not comparable. Thorn wasn't fired - he was given a full season and change, while Black was much more than a caretaker - he had charge of the first team for over half a season, not just a handful of games. More than that, you couldn't look at Black's team and say that he was lucky to have a Marlon King in there edging out a 1-0 win - the entire football culture changed and the results were huge.

Bit it's still living in the past and for every Jethro Tull there was a Peters and Lee just round the corner.

Colonel Mustard

Bit it's still living in the past and for every Jethro Tull there was a Peters and Lee just round the corner.

I think terms like "nostalgia" colour any argument a bit. The only question has to be whether somebody is up to the job. I'm sure that the Wednesday fans might have had nostalgic reservations over a 35 year old Roland Nilsson in 1997, but he came to us and did a sterling job.

I don't understand the calls we've seen in the past for people like George Graham, who have been away from the game for a decade. But somebody like Black remains eminently qualified for the post. We've gone through seven managers and consistent misery since he left, so I'm not sure what there would be to lose in hiring him - it would pep up a large section of the fanbase, it would close the question, and he would just be a credible selection anyhow.

Grendel

I think terms like "nostalgia" colour any argument a bit. The only question has to be whether somebody is up to the job. I'm sure that the Wednesday fans might have had nostalgic reservations over a 35 year old Roland Nilsson in 1997, but he came to us and did a sterling job.

I don't understand the calls we've seen in the past for people like George Graham, who have been away from the game for a decade. But somebody like Black remains eminently qualified for the post. We've gone through seven managers and consistent misery since he left, so I'm not sure what there would be to lose in hiring him - it would pep up a large section of the fanbase, it would close the question, and he would just be a credible selection anyhow.

However it is nostalgia.

If we were perusing a manager other than him who had had one small stab at it a decade ago this would not be received well.

Garry Gillespie was an outstanding defender in his first stint at the club. His second stint should not have happened.

Colonel Mustard

However it is nostalgia. If we were perusing a manager other than him who had had one small stab at it a decade ago this would not be received well. Garry Gillespie was an outstanding defender in his first stint at the club. His second stint should not have happened.

Nostalgia is a sweeping, loaded term. I don't like it because it sucks reason out of the discussion. I don't think it matters whether we are talking about a player or a manager, former CCFC or not - the only question is whether a good, rational case can be made for them. I think that is a no-brainer in Black's case, whereas Gillespie, say, was a much dodgier argument. Bringing back a man who is past his prime just because he once did well at the club would be a mistake - but I doubt any of us would have said no to an in-prime Gallacher, Babb, Kirkland etc returning to the club.

SkyBlue_Bear83

The way people talk about Black you would think he had been sitting on his arse doing nothing for the past 10 years since he left Cov.

Anyhow he isn't going to be here so lets get behind Pressley regardless of wether he was your first choice or not.

katzenjammer

The funny thing about Black is, no one actually knows if he applied for the job. Everyone assumed when Waggott said 2 out of 3 names in the Telegraph were wrong that Black was the one that was right. It was probably Keith Curle all along and Black was just media/fan speculation.

coop

No one really no's frickall so everything is just speculation and I welcome Pressley and will give him my full support

Brighton Sky Blue

There are tonnes of other high calibre coaches who are no doubt based in the Midlands, it doesn't mean they can make the transition into management. Black's success was so long ago that to assume he would succeed here is a pure fallacy based on nostalgia of the last time decent football was seen at HR. Just as Thorn failed after the honeymoon went and he lost better players, Black would have had to contend with the same (Davenport, Safri, Gudjonsson just a few of the ones who left early into Reid's reign). It is baffling bordering on embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread