Lack Of Transfer Activity (5 Viewers)

CovisGod

Right, I just want to say I am in no way moaning atall, I understand that we're in the early stages of pre-season and Mogga is waiting for the right signings to come along,

But, do you think it's a little strange that there was the "Tony is back from holiday tomorrow and ready to make his first signing" headline, and then nothing ? Or was he talking about back room staff and tying kids down to longer contracts ?

I'm in no way a pessimist and honestly believe we'll have a team that can challenge by the time August the 8th comes, but with releasing as many players as he did I'm just a bit nervous that if he misses out on his preffered targets we might end up with a rather thread bare squad next season

Am I just worrying too soon or does anyone else share similar views ?

cmoncity

I too wish we would have at least heard some rumours but tm said hes holding on for right players cuz once hes spent budget there is no more to have.we wont be signing players for a fee as hes already said that there is no budget for transfer fees. so its about what wages he has available l.hes been around the block a few times in transfer windows so we have to trust in his judgement

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yes....you're worrying too much.

I couldn't give a toss about potential transfers today......the sun is shining bright, I've got my shorts on, 6 Music blaring in the workshop & I'm already making plans to leave work by 3.00pm to take the dog for a long stroll around the beer garden....

rupert_bear

This has happened here for the last few years and for various reasons, is it a SISU thing or just us being suspicious. Certain players will be signed and some will still be away on holiday and these negotiations take time, having said that it doesn't need Steve Waggott to open his trap and say a new signing is iminent as i assume he didn't mean Chris Stokes or Reda Johnson. I just hope would be season tickets buyers keep their money in their pockets until some realistic transfer action happens.

Otis

Not at all worried at the moment.

They key isn't bringing people in, it's making sure you bring the right people in.

tom88

Right, I just want to say I am in no way moaning atall, I understand that we're in the early stages of pre-season and Mogga is waiting for the right signings to come along,

But, do you think it's a little strange that there was the "Tony is back from holiday tomorrow and ready to make his first signing" headline, and then nothing ? Or was he talking about back room staff and tying kids down to longer contracts ?

I'm in no way a pessimist and honestly believe we'll have a team that can challenge by the time August the 8th comes, but with releasing as many players as he did I'm just a bit nervous that if he misses out on his preffered targets we might end up with a rather thread bare squad next season

Am I just worrying too soon or does anyone else share similar views ?

I hate to tell you but he has made his first 2 signings in Clapham and Venus the day after his holiday - They didn't state what type of signings they would be so theoretically they told the truth

McLovin87

I know of one player he is talking to and the club are just trying to fine tune the budget for each area of the squad, in my opinion he would be a great addition to the squad. This is straight from the player himself so I can't reveal anything until the deal is done if it ever gets done.

chinamans view

I think we may have missed out on that early player we wanted to sign but as you say early days. I do think that most players are available now, so I hope he does not miss out on to many players (Meaning his first choices) IMO most free players wait to see if championship teams come in for them first, so it is a waiting game as TM says

fernandopartridge

It's not about when we sign them it's about who we sign. I'm not bothered. I remember a few times we've signed a lot of players in the summer and hardly any of them have been a success.

Ashdown

Very early days, if nothing has happened by this time next month then it's time to be a bit concerned but there could be a rush of captures just before pre season training begins again.

Manchester_sky_blue

I remember being quite pleased when we signed Pugh, Reda, Jackson and Tudgay. I really thought players like that would see us kick on and challenge at the right end of the league. Didn't quite work out did it!

tom88

Very early days, if nothing has happened by this time next month then it's time to be a bit concerned but there could be a rush of captures just before pre season training begins again.

I hope we get some in before pre season because the might just be playing cuppies with the amount of players we have signed on

Sbarcher

This is deja-vu. Every year we have the same concerns about lack of activity. Could be we need some money in before we can grab any meaningful signings.......

Ashdown

You have to remember as well the sooner you sign them the sooner you have to pay them and at the moment that would be for sitting in their gardens. Say we had contracted 6 players on £2500 per week from the beginning of June that would be a tidy £60,000 ?! for the month !

Wheelfass

Not at all worried at the moment.

They key isn't bringing people in, it's making sure you bring the right people in.
I agree with that statement Otis, of course that has to be a priority. However, I really want to renew my ST and as a senior this year it's a really good deal but for me there has to be some signs of intent to entertain and challenge at the top of the league before I hand over the cash. I bet there are many many more like me who are waiting for that sign.

KersleyDigs

I know of one player he is talking to and the club are just trying to fine tune the budget for each area of the squad, in my opinion he would be a great addition to the squad. This is straight from the player himself so I can't reveal anything until the deal is done if it ever gets done.

Which position does this mysterious player play in?

SlowerThanPlatt

Jamie Paterson?
No chance. Still plays regularly at Forest doesn't he?

I know his dad and brother though. Nice people and big City fans. I was told when he was Walsall earlier on his career, Cov were interested but a deal never materialised.

I know personally that he would love to play for Cov in his career.

Hobo

You have to remember as well the sooner you sign them the sooner you have to pay them and at the moment that would be for sitting in their gardens. Say we had contracted 6 players on £2500 per week from the beginning of June that would be a tidy £60,000 ?! for the month !

not really as even those released will be contracted until July, so when you sign for a new club it will be from July. This means players are not in a rush yet. But come July the pressure will be on players to find clubs as much as clubs finding players.

it
wouldn't suprise me to see a few trialists at the club come pre season training. I can see us trying before we buy.

Covstu

I think equally there is a factor of managing fans expectations. People are still thinking we are going to sign quality players and get disappointed with who we sign. We need workhorses to get us out of the league with the odd Diamond in the rough from 2nd/non league clubs. Still think people think we aer going to bring in top players in the division we are in.

skybluebeduff

It's worrying when the players who were with us haven't even signed yet either, never mind new signings.

All in a days work for SISU though...

Sbarcher

It's worrying when the players who were with us haven't even signed yet either, never mind new signings.

All in a days work for SISU though...
They are all still all on the piss with McIndoe.....

skybluetony176

Talking to my wolves supporting mate yesterday he tells me the rumour is that Wolves are going to offer Sam Ricketts a 1 year extention to his playing contract with a view of joining the coaching staff at the end of next season and will be loaned out until the end of next season and we're apparently one of the clubs in the frame to take him on loan.

Isn't Sam Ricketts the player TM try to bring in last season on loan but he chose to go to Swindon Instead? He was definately at Swindon on loan last season just can't remember if this was the player TM was trying to get.

SlowerThanPlatt

Talking to my wolves supporting mate yesterday he tells me the rumour is that Wolves are going to offer Sam Ricketts a 1 year extention to his playing contract with a view of joining the coaching staff at the end of next season and will be loaned out until the end of next season and we're apparently one of the clubs in the frame to take him on loan.

Isn't Sam Ricketts the player TM try to bring in last season on loan but he chose to go to Swindon Instead? He was definately at Swindon on loan last season just can't remember if this was the player TM was trying to get.

Yes he was. I also posted about this a few weeks back

skybluetony176

Yes he was. I also posted about this a few weeks back

Must be true then ;)

My mate certainly rates him and thinks he'd do a cracking job and be good at guiding the younger players on pitch at the same time. Can play anwhere in defence too apparently although CB is his prefered position.

Last edited:

stupot07

I think equally there is a factor of managing fans expectations. People are still thinking we are going to sign quality players and get disappointed with who we sign. We need workhorses to get us out of the league with the odd Diamond in the rough from 2nd/non league clubs. Still think people think we aer going to bring in top players in the division we are in.

Bang on Stu. You can already hear those expectations on here. We have a good experienced manager but money's still tight but competitive enough for this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

AFCCOVENTRY

Must be true then ;)

My mate certainly rates him and thinks he'd do a cracking job and be good at guiding the younger players on pitch at the same time. Can play anwhere in defence too apparently although CB is his prefered position.

Looked solid against Preston in the play off final...

The new Andy Webster with his turn of pace...

Hobo

It's a shame though as with a couple of meaningful additions would bump up season ticket sales I'm sure

Yes, but on a limited budget and trying to make the most of it, patience might be the key? At the moment everyone is trying to hedge their bets; clubs, agents, players.

As TM has alluded to, certain players will realise their expectation and aspiration is too high (shuffling the deck) and they will start knocking the door more loudly.

I think the key signings will be loan players. But as TM says their own clubs and managers will want to assess them first, so they won't be with us in July.

SP knew what was wrong with the club and had the right intentions. However was not experienced enough or capable enough of turning it around.

TM has all the experience and credentials, but still has a massive task on such a limited budget (don't believe all last seasons hype about our budget, it is all hearsay). I have faith in him and his staff and feel positive again about Coventry City and its prospects.

However, I warn all fans it might take his full two years to begin to show progress. Anyone expecting an instant fix could be hugely disappointed by the end of December.

Hobo

Ricketts and Reda Johnson would be a pretty formidable duo

I would rather see Rickets with someone younger, Martin as cover, then Reda as LB with Stokes and Haynes to battle it out for cover. You also have Reda as cover for CB positions. I wouldn't be suprised to see Pennington back on a loan till December with an option until the end of the season.

Two midfielders for me are the real key and a striker. I have a hunch Reading won't go with Samuel ��

Users who are viewing this thread