Laptop for "basic" gaming (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

Hi all, daughter asking me for advice (lol) about a laptop for one of the her kids for school work. Easy enough but also wants to play games - not grapic hungry ones but Roblox and Minecraft are a must. I suggested a PC as per Kizz in the other thread, but that's not practical as she'll need it to be portable.

They've looked at this one which is on offer and have asked if it'll do the job....

ASUS Vivobook 15 X1500EA 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5

Noticed it's got Intel Iris XE as the "graphics" ... any experience on weather this will be up to the job? I'd have thought Roblox and Minecraft don't need loads of fancy shading/rendering because they look fairly blocky, but don't want to say yes and it's a turkey. Only certain turkeys are good for Xmas.

Cheers for any insight.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Might as well add my own 'please help' to this. Prefaced with me knowing very little about computers other than google searches and finding rankings for processors, cards etc. to get a vague idea.

My laptop is now over 6yrs old, the OS isn't going to be supported much longer and the battery is pretty much shot so time for a new one.

Don't tend to do much with it - usual microsoft packages, play around with a very simple bit of CAD and a little bit of gaming but not top end new releases. However, I do tend to try and overegg it to future proof it a bit and am willing to spend a bit more for something a bit better, so budget around £500 but would maybe go £600 if it was a huge upgrade.

As an idea for gaming, I was looking at a game on Steam with these specs

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 or AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 4 GB or AMD Radeon R9 380, 4 GB
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 28 GB available space
  • Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB or AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 28 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD

So found three potential laptops, from cheapest to most expensive. Only the bottom one met the recommended spec for the game, middle one the minimum and top one failed due to the RAM.

Lenovo Yoga Slim
i5 - 1240P
12 mb cache
8gb DDR5 RAM
Integrated Iris Xe graphics
512GB SSD

Acer Aspire Vero
i5 - 1335u
12mb cache
16GB DDR4 RAM
Integrated Iris Xe graphics
512GB SSD

MSI Prestige 14H
i5 - 12450h
12MB cache
16GB DDR5 RAM
Nvidia GeForceRTX2050 4GB GDDR6
512GB SSD

Thoughts? Advice? Alternatives?

Any help much appreciated (just please don't start getting techy cos I will get startled, panic and jump out the window)

stay_up_skyblues

Hi all, daughter asking me for advice (lol) about a laptop for one of the her kids for school work. Easy enough but also wants to play games - not grapic hungry ones but Roblox and Minecraft are a must. I suggested a PC as per Kizz in the other thread, but that's not practical as she'll need it to be portable.

They've looked at this one which is on offer and have asked if it'll do the job....

ASUS Vivobook 15 X1500EA 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5

Noticed it's got Intel Iris XE as the "graphics" ... any experience on weather this will be up to the job? I'd have thought Roblox and Minecraft don't need loads of fancy shading/rendering because they look fairly blocky, but don't want to say yes and it's a turkey. Only certain turkeys are good for Xmas.

Cheers for any insight.

We got this for our lad last year. After Currys told me I’d need to spend over £500 on something that would run Minecraft and Roblox! Anyway, we took a chance on the basis this comes with Minecraft included (after a download) so must support it. It runs both games, albeit not as sharp or fast as his Xbox. For the price it’s decent and he can do all his educational stuff on it too.

Users who are viewing this thread