Laws - Away blues must stop (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Crystal-Palace-v-Burnley-Brian-Laws_2504574.jpg
Clarets boss irked; Sky Blues tactician delighted
Brain Laws has called for Burnley to be more clinical away from home after losing 1-0 to Coventry.
The Clarets' travelling blues continued on Saturday as Michael Doyle's 57th minute strike proved the difference to settle what was an uninspiring encounter at the Ricoh Arena.
Laws' men remain the only team in the Championship yet to taste victory on their travels this season while they have won just one of their previous 31 away league games.
And the Turf Moor tactician has told his players to buck up their ideas when they play outside their home turf.
"I think frustration got the better of us today," he said.
"I thought we were in complete control for large periods of the game right up until they scored, it looked as though there was only going to be one team who were going to win the game.
"We were patient with the ball, we passed it really well and created a fair few chances and that disappoints me because we're not clinical enough.
"Particularly away from home it just seems to disappear, and our calmness in front of goal is costing us dearly.
"Of course that adds pressure when you concede because you want to go and get back in the game as quickly as you can, but in the last 20 minutes we stopped being patient with the ball."

Patience

Laws, who revealed he may have to act in the January transfer window if his side do not start taking their chances, added: "The performance levels have been very good, they don't collate with the results.
"It's patience, more than anything else, because it turns out to be frustrating and I don't want the players to get that negativity or concern that we're struggling to win away from home because that becomes a mental block and I don't believe for one minute that's in their system.
"Patience (with the ball) has got to be the key for us.
"I'm very disappointed. It was a very frustrating afternoon."
The victory ended a run of three successive defeats for the Sky Blues and saw them leapfrog Burnley up to ninth in the Championship table.

Performance

Coventry manager Aidy Boothroyd saluted his side for a result based on substance rather than style.
"I think it was important we put a performance in, I said that before the game - I wanted a performance, a clean sheet and to win 1-0," he stressed.
"It was important to get back to winning ways.
"We didn't get a performance, far from it, but we did get the result in the end against a very good team.
"I think we've played a lot better than that and lost."

Users who are viewing this thread