Lee Burge (3 Viewers)

stevefloyd

Some Manchester United signings have turned out poor in the last few seasons and cost a hell of a lot more money. It's why you can't build a decent squad in one or two transfer windows.
I remember Juan Sebastian Veron ohhh he was shite and they managed to con Chelski into taking him and he was still shite

letsallsingtogether

Yes he did but both (especially the one from stokes) you would be expecting any professional keeper to make. If burge had let either of them in he would be crucified by some on here. Also I believe the keeper was slow to react to mcnulty’s shot for the goal.
I’m certainly not saying burge is the best keeper in the world but he has improved and is probably as good as any keeper in L2. I think some of the criticism of him is a left over from last season (and before)...when playing behind a poor defence with neither defence or keeper instilling confidence in each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.

Hobo

Have you not been watching him for the last 3-4 seasons that have been littered with mistakes and costly errors? Reason he looks "better" this season is the level we are at and a half decent defence protecting him. Had nothing to do last night but conceded a goal.

Let's hang a player out to dry for mistakes in their early matches. Let's bin the concept of development in a player. No he is not world class but has improved and made some decent saves this season. Made less howlers than the keeper brought into replace him. He deserves the shirt this year.

Otis

Burge seemed to be under instructions to make big up and under kicks from out his hand and they quite effective , the goal even came from one.

I’m a big fan of this tactic , as if you watch goals back there are far more goals scored this way than from seeing a keeper roll the ball out to a centre half.
I'll tell you what though, he more often than not kicks the ball from outside his penalty area and is definitely overstepping the mark.

If he's not careful he's going to give a free kick away in very dangerous territory.

I didn't notice it at first, but Clive Eakin commented on it and since then I have been keeping an eye on it and he is definitely pushing his luck. Ball still in hand and then kicking it over the line.

pastythegreat

I'll tell you what though, he more often than not kicks the ball from outside his penalty area and is definitely overstepping the mark.

If he's not careful he's going to give a free kick away in very dangerous territory.

I didn't notice it at first, but Clive Eakin commented on it and since then I have been keeping an eye on it and he is definitely pushing his luck. Ball still in hand and then kicking it over the line.
The only ever card I got was a red card! Ref gave a free kick against me for the exact thing. I said your having a laugh ain't ya? He said it's the 3rd time you've done it but I let the 1st 2 times go, so I rared up at him as if I've done it 2 times already why is this the first free kick, a free kick is a free kick a hand ball a hand ball etc etc and called him a c**t. He then proved he was a c**t by sending me off!
c**t

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

speedie87

Bloke behind me goes on about this every time don’t think he gets the fact he lets go of it in the area

Otis

Bloke behind me goes on about this every time don’t think he gets the fact he lets go of it in the area
He's not been lately though. Clive Eakin picked up on it.

At times now he still has the ball in his hand and he is right on the line and possibly over.

Adge

If Jordan Pickford is worth £30,000,000, then Burge has to be £30,000,001 Atleast!
To be fair I’ve only seen Pickford do that once, whereas Burge......,,

I was always a critic of Burge, and still think we should have kept RCC rather than signed O Brian.
However, Burge has improved massively in the last 3 years. It used to be that pretty much every kick would either go straight out of play or be poor and put us under pressure. Now he often has games where he doesn't miss-kick once!
Made some really good saves so far this year, and less mistakes too.

PVA

Obviously had that terrible howler against FGR, but apart from that he's been solid. Especially when you consider O'Brien made 2 howlers in the opening 3 or 4 games. RCC made about 5 in the first 10 games of last season.

We're in League 2, yet some people seem to think Burge is crap because he's not David De Gea.

He's part of by far the best defence in the league and we have much more pressing areas to address than in goal.

steve82

I've more faith in Burge than I did but he still scares the life out of me at times.

Pulled off some fantastic saves this season.

Otis

I've more faith in Burge than I did but he still scares the life out of me at times.

Pulled off some fantastic saves this season.
And not wishing to diss the bloke, but he has had a very, very strong back four in front of him that has offered a lot of protection

steve82

And not wishing to diss the bloke, but he has had a very, very strong back four in front of him that has offered a lot of protection

This is very true, he's played his part in a sold defensive unit but he will of likely faced less shots this season than half of last year.

Let's hope he's in Wembley form today

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

The only ever card I got was a red card! Ref gave a free kick against me for the exact thing. I said your having a laugh ain't ya? He said it's the 3rd time you've done it but I let the 1st 2 times go, so I rared up at him as if I've done it 2 times already why is this the first free kick, a free kick is a free kick a hand ball a hand ball etc etc and called him a c**t. He then proved he was a c**t by sending me off!
c**t

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Exactly, he should of sent you off on the first occasion ;) what a c**t for being so lenient!!

Otis

This is very true, he's played his part in a sold defensive unit but he will of likely faced less shots this season than half of last year.

Let's hope he's in Wembley form today
We had some games where the opposition didn't even have a shot on target.

ceetee

We have Premiership level officials today.
Am I the only one who's bothered about that because I think they like to stamp their authority on lower league clubs?

steve82

We had some games where the opposition didn't even have a shot on target.

So did we.... moving on quickly.
For me he's a safe L2 keeper who is benefiting from a strong solid line up of players in front of him.

His decision making alone at times is still questionable which if i was to make a decision right now for L1 I'd want a new No 1.

steve82

We have Premiership level officials today.
Am I the only one who's bothered about that because I think they like to stamp their authority on lower league clubs?

We always get the raw end of the deal on a Saturday (or Friday nights) so no change, plus we're not that bad as a side for foul play.

Otis

We always get the raw end of the deal on a Saturday (or Friday nights) so no change, plus we're not that bad as a side for foul play.
Or Tuesday and Wednesday nights either.

Basically any days that ends in the letter Y.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I was always a critic of Burge, and still think we should have kept RCC rather than signed O Brian.
However, Burge has improved massively in the last 3 years. It used to be that pretty much every kick would either go straight out of play or be poor and put us under pressure. Now he often has games where he doesn't miss-kick once!

I think it’s a case of him finding his level. He has come on a lot but I still couldn’t put my trust in his as No.1 if (or when) we go up.

And as Otis says the four in front of him must have an added effect

steve82

I’ve never rated Pickford. Was poor for Sunderland in a poor Sunderland team that got relegated then somehow managed to gain that move? No idea how His agent pulled that one off!

Maybe we should fix Burge up with Pickfords agent!

Irish Sky Blue

That’s two Irish Sky Blues and one half Irish Sky Blue. It’s getting crowded on here!

Terry Gibson's perm

I’ve never rated Pickford. Was poor for Sunderland in a poor Sunderland team that got relegated then somehow managed to gain that move? No idea how His agent pulled that one off!

Modern goalie good with his feet and doesn’t matter if he can save anything ideal at Man City less so at Everton where he has to make saves.

Adge

Which is what I said about Burge in the summer. Was awful last season(and how many seasons before that?) in a relegation team and yet was still retained by the club. Baffling to me.

Terry Gibson's perm

Which is what I said about Burge in the summer. Was awful last season(and how many seasons before that?) in a relegation team and yet was still retained by the club. Baffling to me.

He has just about found his level in league 2 although the way idiots like Linnell go on the prem must be calling him.

Adge

He has just about found his level in league 2 although the way idiots like Linnell go on the prem must be calling him.
And people just continue to ignore what I am saying. He couldn’t do it in L1 (he’s not alone by the way) so if we want to progress and go forward (if we manage to go up) he again will be out of his depth.

Users who are viewing this thread