Liam Walsh (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

Coventry is one of the biggest cities in the country (between 9th & 20th depending on how you measure).

Of the larger cities, pretty much all of them have more than one football club.

We also have a huge catchment area of dormitory towns where the nearest football league team is CCFC (Bedworth, Nuneaton, Leamington etc etc.)

Potentially, CCFC is huge. One of the biggest potential fan bases in the U.K.

However, for the last 30 years we’ve been mostly woeful and the football experience (the mostly empty Ricoh, no cool pubs nearby for pre and post match etc) boring.

We take a disproportionate amount of fans to away matches because the experience is better.

I think going back to the Ricoh has its positives and negatives; back in the City and a few big attendances, but I still think there is huge potential if we build something with Warwick Uni.

I’m not getting all misty eyed about HR but think the Ricoh is a bad long term plan.

At the moment people are suggesting that we “could be as big as Southampton”. I think that’s a huge undersell given our potential fan base.

With the right energy and vision CCFC has the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Laugh all you want.
That’s utter rubbish. We could be top 20 but nowhere near one of the biggest.

Evo1883

Coventry is one of the biggest cities in the country (between 9th & 20th depending on how you measure).

Of the larger cities, pretty much all of them have more than one football club.

We also have a huge catchment area of dormitory towns where the nearest football league team is CCFC (Bedworth, Nuneaton, Leamington etc etc.)

Potentially, CCFC is huge. One of the biggest potential fan bases in the U.K.

However, for the last 30 years we’ve been mostly woeful and the football experience (the mostly empty Ricoh, no cool pubs nearby for pre and post match etc) boring.

We take a disproportionate amount of fans to away matches because the experience is better.

I think going back to the Ricoh has its positives and negatives; back in the City and a few big attendances, but I still think there is huge potential if we build something with Warwick Uni.

I’m not getting all misty eyed about HR but think the Ricoh is a bad long term plan.

At the moment people are suggesting that we “could be as big as Southampton”. I think that’s a huge undersell given our potential fan base.

With the right energy and vision CCFC has the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Laugh all you want.

I mean Sunderland are top 10 clubs in the country on size, and they have a smaller city than we do... Anything is possible, would be a remarkable turnaround though to become reality

Actually I'd say Sunderland were about 11th 12th looking at the clubs

No order you'd have

Man utd

Liverpool

City

Chelsea

Tottenham

Newcastle

Arsenal

Aston villa

Everton

Leeds

Arguibly Wolves and West ham

Above Sunderland

I know we don't like them much, but they are a big club

Last edited:

Magwitch1

Things do change, but our change was abnormal and Completely against the grain..

Man utd haven't won a Premier league for a good few years, they're still the biggest club in Britain along with Liverpool who hadn't won a title for 30 years prior to last year
Manchester United were the biggest club in Britain when they were in division two for a year, scousers hate it but its true, will never change. The big difference nowadays l, money, the countless millions of Abramavic and Shiek Mansouar have transformed Chelsea & Man City respectively from decent top division teams won the odd cup but never really challenged strong for titles and spent a good few years out of the top flight theoretically that could happen to any club. If massive financial backing was there, look at Leicester.

Evo1883

Manchester United were the biggest club in Britain when they were in division two for a year, scousers hate it but its true, will never change. The big difference nowadays l, money, the countless millions of Abramavic and Shiek Mansouar have transformed Chelsea & Man City respectively from decent top division teams won the odd cup but never really challenged strong for titles and spent a good few years out of the top flight theoretically that could happen to any club. If massive financial backing was there, look at Leicester.

Yes absolutely, I mean Leicester and man City and Chelsea are 3 clubs who have benefited massively from takeovers

Skybluemichael

Biggest problem is that if Bristol want to keep him, they'll be able to offer more than we can. On the plus side, most of the lads he knows and has happy memories of are still with us. I'd prefer Walsh over James if only because of the age factor, although James has done it at a much higher level, so won't be disappointed if we get him (as long as he stays fit). Interesting too to see if Josh Eccles can step up, as we know Kelly cannot keep going forever/is prone to the odd setback.
They have offered him a contact he hasn’t signed it, I get the feeling he fell out with the old manager, strange he’s playing u23 the minute he’s gone and now on the bench against brum

Paxman II

Walsh when fit was sent on loan to us and could not get in their side in the championship. Did well with us in a lower league than where we are now, after a shaky start. Fit again he may be in the squad for today. Why are so many of you obsessed with Walsh? Is he any better than what we have now in the championship?
About the only thing I would grant you, he seemed to enjoy his time with us and he would be a useful addition to our squad if unproven in the championship. Now, let it go....

The Philosopher

That’s utter rubbish. We could be top 20 but nowhere near one of the biggest.

Above is a link to our attendances when we had just come off the back of the Jimmy Hill era.

Energy and vision and potential fan base all merged.

Most of the other clubs on the list have remained a similar size. Just CCFC is the outrider. Several poor top flight seasons and HR becoming all seater 22k and an (allegedly) long term regime where CCFC attendances were under declared meant that season on season our attendances have dropped compared to others. Then the decades of boringness and bad decisions have meant that we are now seen as a smaller club than our potential allows.

I’ll repeat my point:

Coventry is a big city
It has only 1 league club
It has some large satellite towns
CCFC has the potential to be huge.

But hey, “utter nonsense”, right?

Magwitch1

It isn’t being obsessed with Liam Walsh it is value for money for a player we all know can play and suits how we play. Would be more than happy if MR goes out and finds a better player. It’s a conversation with varying views what’s wrong with that if it pisses you off don’t join in...let it go.

SBAndy

Walsh when fit was sent on loan to us and could not get in their side in the championship. Did well with us in a lower league than where we are now, after a shaky start. Fit again he may be in the squad for today. Why are so many of you obsessed with Walsh? Is he any better than what we have now in the championship?
About the only thing I would grant you, he seemed to enjoy his time with us and he would be a useful addition to our squad if unproven in the championship. Now, let it go....

Free transfer though. If we are to follow our financial model then we’d be mad not to consider bringing him in.

cc84cov

I mean Sunderland are top 10 clubs in the country on size, and they have a smaller city than we do... Anything is possible, would be a remarkable turnaround though to become reality

Actually I'd say Sunderland were about 11th 12th looking at the clubs

No order you'd have

Man utd

Liverpool

City

Chelsea

Tottenham

Newcastle

Arsenal

Aston villa

Everton

Leeds

Arguibly Wolves and West ham

Above Sunderland

I know we don't like them much, but they are a big club
Sunderland are also a far bigger club than Bristol City

cc84cov

He’s better than Shipley I would also have him over James who I rate highly

Terry_dactyl

Agree - although I would be nervous of having Walsh, James and Kelly on the books at the same time in terms of recent injury history (not difficult to imagine 2 of the 3 out at any given stage). That said, the quality is not in doubt. Kelly is out of contract, so maybe a rolling one year option (is there such a thing?!) for him. James we would have to offer 2 years (at least), otherwise he will walk. Walsh - straight swap for Kastaneer.
How dare you! I thought you were serious about retaining our best players!

no_loyalty

We wouldn’t be talking about Walsh if he had signed a new contract with Bristol City, we are talking about him because he is currently available on a free transfer at the end of the season, and we have a realistic chance of signing him (if we stay up) and approving our squad.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Hasn’t he been able to talk to other clubs from January? Bet we have made him an offer, and this just adds to itView attachment 19145
I doubt we’ve made any offers while we have no idea on next seasons budget as we don’t know what league we are gonna be in yet,if we go down forget Walsh he won’t be coming here & 2 we won’t be able to afford him

Ccfcisparks

I doubt we’ve made any offers while we have no idea on next seasons budget as we don’t know what league we are gonna be in yet,if we go down forget Walsh he won’t be coming here & 2 we won’t be able to afford him
If we are in League 1 he will be well out of our budget and I’d imagine the new manager wouldn’t want him ay

Skybluemichael

Well when his contact is finished we will know what league we’re in, we would be silly not to be talking to him

PVA

An unnamed Championship club made a bid for him in January. I'd say there is a fair chance it was us but who knows.

Latest indications are that he'll be signing a new deal at BC though.

Briles

Appears our players are tapping him up.... (see attachment)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1615666816156.jpg
    FB_IMG_1615666816156.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 73

Ccfcisparks

Are your views based purely on league positions then? That makes Leicester ‘bigger’ than Liverpool and Spurs ...
They’ve averaged higher attendances than us, spent more money, been more competitive. How have we been bigger in the last 10 years?

Evo1883

I’m 99% sure he’s on his way back here

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread