Location please..... (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Where is the Standard pub near Primark? I know Primark was Owen Owen, but I don't know Cov centre at all now.
Ta.

Nick

Administrator
The flying standard is Wetherspoons isn't it?

It's the old tudor building to the side of Primark, sort of backing on to the cathedral.

Walk round the back of Primark and you will see greggs, look to your right and it's there.

Houchens Head

Timothy Whites.jpg Got it NIck, ta! Was it the old Timothy White Chemists decades ago?

Nick

Administrator
I think like Wingy said it was a Jewellers, maybe even a cash converters up there somewhere?

Otis

So it was
I can recall that,in 69 I'd have been twelve and just about trusted to go into town from the sticks solo on a Saturday to get some messages.
Yeah, it was the only way to get dad's back from the pub early in those days wasn't it.

Captain Dart

fstd10.jpg
Google maps.. ;)

wingy

Yeah, it was the only way to get dad's back from the pub early in those days wasn't it.
Not my old man Otis
He would be a pariah of society these days as he'd drive 3-4 miles for his ale.
Does anyone remember if it became a jewellers after being the chemists
Have H Samuel in mind for some reason.
Or maybe I'm wrong or they were further down on the slope?

Captain Dart

I swear there was a Wimpey burger bar in the corner (by the stairs to Holy Trinity) at some point.

Houchens Head

Yep, there was definitely a Wimpy bar there, and also there was one across the road in Ironmonger Row, if I recall rightly?

duffer

I know it's "only a wetherspoons" but what a fantastic looking building. In my opinion anyway :)

Absolutely. Isn't it strange, I must have gone past there literally thousands of times, but I'd never really noticed the beauty of the building perched on the shop/takeaway/pub. Just goes to show that you never really appreciate what's on your doorstep...

duffer

They building is so wonky, noticed it the other week.

Yeah, our place is a bit like that. Fair enough if it was built in Tudor times I guess, but ours was knocked out in 1974! I'm assuming the brickies used their spirit levels as cricket bats.

ccfc92

Absolutely. Isn't it strange, I must have gone past there literally thousands of times, but I'd never really noticed the beauty of the building perched on the shop/takeaway/pub. Just goes to show that you never really appreciate what's on your doorstep...

It's easy to do. I've lived in Poole for 16 years, and only just recently gone to the new forest which is such a beautiful area to see. It looks like a greener wild west in some parts with wild horses etc.

Houchens Head

This was taken in the 1940's, just after the war. Re-building Broadgate and surrounding area. It shows Timothy Whites still there, even after all the bombing! Also note, just past there, on the corner of New Buildings, is the old Owen Owen store. Broadgate towards Ironmonger Row c 1940's.jpg

Gazolba

fstd10.jpg
Google maps.. ;)
That's a magnificent building! I'm surprised the council haven't bulldozed it yet, and erected some monstrosity in its place.

Gazolba

This was taken in the 1940's, just after the war. Re-building Broadgate and surrounding area. It shows Timothy Whites still there, even after all the bombing! Also note, just past there, on the corner of New Buildings, is the old Owen Owen store.View attachment 5927
That's a great photo. I just wish it was a bit sharper so I could make out more details of the buildings and the names on the shops. Some of the cars look like early 1950's models but I could be wrong.

wingy

The first thing I do after winning £140M on the euro millions and buying City is buy that gaff
Then restore the lawn to Broadgate.

Houchens Head

That's a great photo. I just wish it was a bit sharper so I could make out more details of the buildings and the names on the shops. Some of the cars look like early 1950's models but I could be wrong.
My original picture source states that this was taken "during the 1940's", however, it may have been taken a bit later. I have zoomed in and played around with the sharpness a bit and cropped the picture to show the shops in Ironmonger Row. As you can see they are: Philips (with Sutton & Jones below), next to that to the right is Harvey's and then next to them is Vogue. I can't get it any clearer to show the name of the shop on the extreme left (on the corner of the Burges). I tried to sharpen the bit where the shops are going down Trinity St but they are too blurred. Hope this helps ;-)
Capture.JPG

dutchman

This was taken in the 1940's, just after the war. Re-building Broadgate and surrounding area. It shows Timothy Whites still there, even after all the bombing! Also note, just past there, on the corner of New Buildings, is the old Owen Owen store.View attachment 5927
That was only a temporary Owen Owen store Houch, to replace the bombed out building in the centre of the photograph. They occupied several other buildings in Trinity Street and New Buildings as well while they waited for the new store to be built. :)

Last edited:

dutchman

My original picture source states that this was taken "during the 1940's", however, it may have been taken a bit later. I have zoomed in and played around with the sharpness a bit and cropped the picture to show the shops in Ironmonger Row. As you can see they are: Philips (with Sutton & Jones below), next to that to the right is Harvey's and then next to them is Vogue.View attachment 5930
Suttons & Jones sold Philips electrical appliances Houch, hence the sign. Vogue was a restaurant, later renamed the Rex Restaurant. The bit on the corner with Palmer Lane was an ice cream kiosk at one time.

I can't get it any clearer to show the name of the shop on the extreme left (on the corner of the Burges). I tried to sharpen the bit where the shops are going down Trinity St but they are too blurred.
"Alice Middleton" (ladies underwear). :)

Users who are viewing this thread