Lord Sugar Tackles Football (2 Viewers)

rob9872

I saw it last night (I think a repeat from first shown last week). He wanted the football world to work like the 'real world' and see soem real hard examples of clubs going out of business and make an example of someone so that people will realise and run their clubs correctly. If I'm honest I totally agree with him as clubs have bent the rules and used it to their advantage so often and pretty much getting away with mismanagement, but my fear is that I just know our luck and the example that everyone is caling for will end up being us :(

CovScott88

You pretty much mirror what my feelings are Rob. Football clubs have no right to bend the rules as they are businesses as the end of the day.
Any businesses anywhere else, would have been put into administration/liquidation etc if they were in the same situation as some of the league clubs are.
Lord Sugar is right in what he says. Football clubs will continue to bend the rules unless they see someone go out of business. Obviously, no-one wants that for any club, but football needs something like that to make them realise what the severe consequences are if they do not run within their means.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Find it hard to think of any reasonable arguement against what Lord Sugar said. Unfortunately it will take the fall of a big name club to make the changes happen

The programme irritated me in a number of respects.....

Firstly the "its everybody elses fault not mine attitude" just said to me that no one was prepared to take any responsibility and that seemingly no one is in control of a set of businesses earning £2 billion+

Secondly the rubbish spouted by the top guy at the Premier League..... his job is to support the clubs through it all and couldnt do much because he would get supporters protesting at his office door. Grow some! The whole thing is unsustainable and will implode..... better to be in control of that than to let it just happen ! He said he wanted to support all the way to grassroots.... well i see precious little of that at grassroots level and in the past there have been clubs go out of business..... but guess they are too small for the topnobs to worry about !

Thing that annoys me most..... especially coming from my own business background....... is the notion that football debts are somehow special cases............ so its ok to run up massive debts with HMRC and not pay is it....... how is that fair on ordinary joe public who pays all his taxes and might not even be a football supporter...... because that non payment is effectively coming out of his, your, my pocket!

Thought Lord Sugars plan had a lot of merit to it............ think he was a bit gob smacked by the attitude of some in the game and their naivety ......... or should I say self interest.

Last edited:

Covstu

This was really good, just highlights how much money goes through the league and what the powers that be do nothing about it

bishbosh

Unfortunately I cannot access this video, but I think I read a BBC blog or article that referenced this.
There are some fair points and I think there has to be 'a line in the sand' now, although like rob sods law it'll be Cov that are the example. It is mad that something so big in terms of revenue and international interest can be in such a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread