Lower away allocations next season. (1 Viewer)

CV22SBA

It appears other clubs are following our lead with smaller allocations for next season.
QPR have been trialling it for the last few games and next season the allocation will be just 1.8K.
Blackburn seem to be doing the same thing but still giving a big allocation to be fair and Sheff Wed are only looking at giving the upper tier with home fans back in the lower tier as they have also trial recently.

Whilst attendances in general are on the increase i think home managers are getting fed up with the advantage it sometimes gives to the away team. I remember Blackpool stopped giving the whole stand after our visit last season.

Travs

If we don't fill the seats (I think we will) from the point of finances you have to allow more away fans attend.IMO having more away fan there increases the atmosphere.

Totally agree with this. Generally always adds to the occasion.

Whilst i understand the point that it gives a slight advantage to away team, there have been plenty of high-profile matches in recent seasons where we've won against teams with large away following.

When it gets to the point where we are regularly selling out home end then it becomes a different subject, but (call me callous) i'd still prefer a large away following.

pusbccfc

Same with Southampton who dropped to 2000 recently.

Ultimately, clubs can afford to give 2000 of they are selling over 80% of their stadium. QPR certainly do. Attendances are growing at most clubs.

Had the same debate on here many times before but it's pointless limiting away fans to 2000 if we are averaging 25,000. There needs to be flexibility to allow home fans behind the goal when we have the demand. Clubs like us, Blackburn and Stoke limiting away fans is throwing money away.

If we start selling season tickets in the South Stand, we could see scenarios like the Preston and Ipswich games where there's around 22,000 home fans scattered around 30,000 seats.

pusbccfc

Totally agree with this. Generally always adds to the occasion.

Whilst i understand the point that it gives a slight advantage to away team, there have been plenty of high-profile matches in recent seasons where we've won against teams with large away following.

When it gets to the point where we are regularly selling out home end then it becomes a different subject, but (call me callous) i'd still prefer a large away following.

Our results against a sold out away end this season:

Birmingham (W)
Sheffield Wednesday (W)
Leicester (W)

Have I missed any? Southampton had 3000 on a midweek and we drew. Norwich also had 3000 and we drew.

Flying Fokker

Ultimately, clubs can afford to give 2000 of they are selling over 80% of their stadium. QPR certainly do. Attendances are growing at most clubs.

Had the same debate on here many times before but it's pointless limiting away fans to 2000 if we are averaging 25,000. There needs to be flexibility to allow home fans behind the goal when we have the demand. Clubs like us, Blackburn and Stoke limiting away fans is throwing money away.

If we start selling season tickets in the South Stand, we could see scenarios like the Preston and Ipswich games where there's around 22,000 home fans scattered around 30,000 seats.
Ipswich 26.3k.

CV22SBA

Birmingham (W)
Sheffield Wednesday (W)
Leicester (W)

Have I missed any? Southampton had 3000 on a midweek and we drew. Norwich also had 3000 and we drew.
To be fair we've only lost 5 at home all season. Personally i don't think it matters either way on performances. Its catch 22 though really as the teams that would sell out the 4K allocation you would expect more home fans anyway to fill the south stand.

Next season, realistically which clubs would sell 4K? Derby & Blues if they survive? Both local matches and we would sell out the south stand. The only other teams would be Saints or Leeds pending which one probably goes up. Maybe add Sheff Wed to that if they are doing ok.

clint van damme

Birmingham (W)
Sheffield Wednesday (W)
Leicester (W)

Leeds (W)

pusbccfc

To be fair we've only lost 5 at home all season. Personally i don't think it matters either way on performances. Its catch 22 though really as the teams that would sell out the 4K allocation you would expect more home fans anyway to fill the south stand.

Next season, realistically which clubs would sell 4K? Derby & Blues if they survive? Both local matches and we would sell out the south stand. The only other teams would be Saints or Leeds pending which one probably goes up. Maybe add Sheff Wed to that if they are doing ok.

All depends on TV etc. Sunderland would sell 4500 if it wasn't on TV at 12pm, same with Southampton.

The problem this year is that we priced tickets way too high. West Brom brought a coach load because of it, Sunderland the same.

CV22SBA

All depends on TV etc. Sunderland would sell 4500 if it wasn't on TV at 12pm, same with Southampton.

The problem this year is that we priced tickets way too high. West Brom brought a coach load because of it, Sunderland the same.
West Brom for some reason have had awful away support this season, blaming the price was an excuse. Their average this season is only 1.7K.

alexccfc99

West Brom for some reason have had awful away support this season, blaming the price was an excuse. Their average this season is only 1.7K.
West Brom had no issues with pricing the other year when they complained and said they'd boycott

But then they won a few games and sold it out - was just before Xmas I believe

CJ_covblaze

I can see away attendances being lower next season. If more home games being moved from 3 on a Saturday is causing an issue that could be worse for away games. There could be quite a few games where the train isn’t an option for a start. Us and a few others reducing the away end indicates clubs are thinking this.

shmmeee

Controversial but I think the away capacity rule needs increasing to 10% of capacity regardless. 2k is a tiny amount in most stadia at this level but no club should be giving advantages away.

pusbccfc

Controversial but I think the away capacity rule needs increasing to 10% of capacity regardless. 2k is a tiny amount in most stadia at this level but no club should be giving advantages away.

Agreed.

It always used to be. For me, if you're Southampton, Norwich or West Brom and selling out each game, giving 2000 is fine.

Where it's annoying is the likes of Stoke and Sunderland giving 2000 odd when they have 10,000 empty seats. Same with us giving Ipswich 2500 last week and having thousands of empty ones.

If you want to go to any away game next season, you'll need to renew your season ticket.

wingy

That was more than 2k on Saturday?

Bertola

I can see away attendances being lower next season. If more home games being moved from 3 on a Saturday is causing an issue that could be worse for away games. There could be quite a few games where the train isn’t an option for a start. Us and a few others reducing the away end indicates clubs are thinking this.

The Trains never an option for the CBS either, so we might be less affected than others :ROFLMAO:

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Southampton apparently reduced to 2,000 due to crowd trouble causing their SAG to force them to increase the segregation

CJ_covblaze

The Trains never an option for the CBS either, so we might be less affected than others :ROFLMAO:
Always thought that the train that was due to travel to our then 12 year old stadium catching fire on its first test run summed up Coventry City in 2017 quite well.

itsabuzzard

Gold star for using stadia rather than the increasingly common stadiums.

Users who are viewing this thread