Match Thread Luton (A) Wed 29th Sep. 19.45 ko (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

skybluetony176

Gutted. I knew a bad defeat would happen at some point and our great run had to come to an end also at some point but to get both in the same night sucks. Didn’t fancy us to get a result last night but this hurts.

usskyblue

Had me tossing and turning all night🙆‍♂️

JCS had a nightmare too m8

ace-ventura-birth-jim-carrey.gif

clint van damme

One of the dangers from tonight is how much other teams learn from this. Our back 5 have looked so slow and uncomfortable under pressure. If other teams decide to adopt the same tactic we're going to have to have a re-think on the way we build from the back.

But not every team will have the players to do it effectively.
As bad as that performance was Luton are decent outfit.
No need to panic just yet.

Esoterica

But not every team will have the players to do it effectively.
As bad as that performance was Luton are decent outfit.
No need to panic just yet.
I hope they don't! Also Luton's pitch seems small to me too but that might just be an illusion from the small stands around it.

I think Robins, when he named an unchanged line up yesterday, got a bit sucked in by a combination of our recent success and having one eye on Fulham at the weekend. Fadz, JCS and Maatsen all looked a bit leggy to me and not sure the midfield combination was right away from home at Luton, given we knew how they'd play. We've not had a great deal of rotation in the side, the core has played every game, and maybe the intensity of our own game over the first 9 games caught up with us a bit too. I'm sure Robins will learn from it though and our amazing start means he's earned the right to brush that one under the carpet.

Brighton Sky Blue

I hope they don't! Also Luton's pitch seems small to me too but that might just be an illusion from the small stands around it.

I think Robins, when he named an unchanged line up yesterday, got a bit sucked in by a combination of our recent success and having one eye on Fulham at the weekend. Fadz, JCS and Maatsen all looked a bit leggy to me and not sure the midfield combination was right away from home at Luton, given we knew how they'd play. We've not had a great deal of rotation in the side, the core has played every game, and maybe the intensity of our own game over the first 9 games caught up with us a bit too. I'm sure Robins will learn from it though and our amazing start means he's earned the right to brush that one under the carpet.

We had a day’s extra rest and it’s not as though the previous game was that high intensity. I think it’s just simply getting off to a crap start and then errors snowballing along.

slowpoke

We had a day’s extra rest and it’s not as though the previous game was that high intensity. I think it’s just simply getting off to a crap start and then errors snowballing along.
Think that was the case although tv has proved it was out of the box JCS grabbing the Luton player from behind for the penalty was stupid & asking for trouble, all the goals were a comedy of errors culminating in that joke fifth goal. Just have to put it behind us and conjure up a positive result Saturday.

Last edited:

larry_david

What was really disappointing was how we had no plan B. We stuck to the playing it short, playing ourselves into trouble on a really narrow pitch. It was clear it wasn't working, not only it wasn't working but it was actually benefitting them.

Where was the plan B? Where was the, right lads, short game isn't working, up top to the front two at any opportunity and O hare, Allen and Gus feed off those second balls and let's get at them.

I felt a bit sorry for Sheaf having to come into that at HT but he looked like his laces were tied together. JCS looked like he'd been out on the piss for the last 2 nights and Moore acted like JCS had really hacked him off so he kept passing to him in trouble.

Us fans forget about it and move on. MR sorts it out because that is either a one off freak or an eye opener that more may be to come of that if we aren't adaptable.

Oh and can someone snap Bradley next game. Prick

Skyblue_CP

Talk about coming back to earth with a bump! Was a very poor performance, Luton knew how to beat us, hopefully there isnt a hangover from this

Brighton Sky Blue

Think that was the case although tv has proved it was out of the box JCS grabbing the Luton player from behind for the penalty was stupid & asking for trouble, all the goals were a comedy of errors culminating in that joke fifth goal. Just have to put it behind us and conjure up a positive result Saturday.

You just knew it was going to be given as soon as he did it because he fell down in the box, regardless of where initial contact was. Needless with McF covering

eastwoodsdustman

The way I see it is that its in the system we play. It only takes 1 player to be dreadful or a couple to be below par to throw the whole team out. Last night our left side got destroyed because JCS was shot to pieces after the penalty and Maatsen was below par. This stopped any chance of us building play from the back. Every time the ball went to JCS first half he panicked and really ought to have come off. He did improve a little 2ncd half but its a bit late then.
Him being so poor limited what passing options Mcfadz and Moore had and therefore put us under pressure, we had to resort to longer balls which we failed to either a) win or b) pick the second ball up.
Fair play to Luton for doing their homework, seeing what a few of us have already pointed out about the left side of our defence being the weaker point and having the ability to attack us there.
Hopefully its a one off and we move on from it but we really do need a plan B in these situations and an early plan B at that.
The Ref was shockingly bad again last night and as someone else pointed out, Sonny Bradley is a grade A prick.

Perryccfc

The way I see it is that its in the system we play. It only takes 1 player to be dreadful or a couple to be below par to throw the whole team out. Last night our left side got destroyed because JCS was shot to pieces after the penalty and Maatsen was below par. This stopped any chance of us building play from the back. Every time the ball went to JCS first half he panicked and really ought to have come off. He did improve a little 2ncd half but its a bit late then.
Him being so poor limited what passing options Mcfadz and Moore had and therefore put us under pressure, we had to resort to longer balls which we failed to either a) win or b) pick the second ball up.
Fair play to Luton for doing their homework, seeing what a few of us have already pointed out about the left side of our defence being the weaker point and having the ability to attack us there.
Hopefully its a one off and we move on from it but we really do need a plan B in these situations and an early plan B at that.
The Ref was shockingly bad again last night and as someone else pointed out, Sonny Bradley is a grade A prick.

We can blame the left all we want, and they weren’t great, but I think it’s also worth acknowledging that they were very good and the big lad was almost unplayable first half he was bang up for it. It’s just one of those games.

shmmeee

We can blame the left all we want, and they weren’t great, but I think it’s also worth acknowledging that they were very good and the big lad was almost unplayable first half he was bang up for it. It’s just one of those games.

Should also be mentioned that generally there’s more right footers than left and so of course teams will attack down the right as most of their team will be biased that way. Teams don’t change their entire game plan and way of playing on account of one opposition player unless it’s Ronaldo. We were attacked more down the left when we had McCallum there and Pask or Dacosta on the right last season too.

fernandopartridge

Just watched the goals, calamitous all round.

The second goal Hamer again (just like at Millwalll) lets a player run past him who goes on to score

The Philosopher

Indeed but them two look awful at defending, Cs is so slow, not hating on them but I'd rather rose and Dabo playing over them two, but personal opinion.
I think JCS is quick enough and chases back well enough, just got outmuscled by a unit.

We need to look at the 4yd area - where it’s a decision between keeper coming out and Fadz dealing with.

Luton hit that area a few times and it caused problems.

Moore is a good keeper. Fadz a good defender. That area needs addressing.

Langers70

A collective stinker.No point singling out certain players.These kind of results happen to all teams.Can put it right on Saturday...and i think they will.

Fergusons_Beard

Not saying we didn’t get hammered but looking back at the goals especially the last 3 which were quite fortunate-lucky flick ons, shots hit into the ground and deflections.

Got to put it down to just one of those games.

Up to Robins and the players what the reaction will be.

Beat Fulham and all will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shepardo01

Up to Robins and the players what the reaction will be.

Beat Fulham and all will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fulham was going to be tough anyway...
But after last night, how do you get that out of the players minds in such a short space of time!?...

I know people may say otherwise, but this is possibly the worst possible game that could follow last night's capitulation.

Anybody know where Fulham will be staying Friday night!?! - late night noise anybody?.... or have we got an "in" in the catering department!??!

If we'd have got a point last night, I'd be looking forward to Saturday... I'm very apprehensive now!!

clint van damme

Fulham was going to be tough anyway...
But after last night, how do you get that out of the players minds in such a short space of time!?...

I know people may say otherwise, but this is possibly the worst possible game that could follow last night's capitulation.

Anybody know where Fulham will be staying Friday night!?! - late night noise anybody?.... or have we got an "in" in the catering department!??!

If we'd have got a point last night, I'd be looking forward to Saturday... I'm very apprehensive now!!

I repeat, ourselves and Fulham have played 4 of the same teams, Fulham won 1, lost 3.

We've won 3, drawn 1.
We have a 100 percent home record, time for some calm and perspective!

Users who are viewing this thread