Maddison to Ireland? (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

They have as much chance - namely none unless we allow 48 teams in the next World Cup

It’s a country with what? A 10th of the population of the UK and other major European countries? And in which football is the 3rd most popular sport.

Grendel

To be fair, England have as much chance of winning a major tournament as San Marino.

Well England made the semis at the last World Cup. Any team that Barry Quinn can play in isn’t really going to dominate the world stage

Grendel

It’s a country with what? A 10th of the population of the UK and other major European countries? And in which football is the 3rd most popular sport.

So is Denmark who have won a competition

Brighton Sky Blue

To be fair population is never a convincing excuse unless it's in the tens or even hundreds of thousands.

Sick Boy

To be fairer, we have a better chance as you have to qualify to be in with a chance. Something San Marino and ROI wouldn’t know about.

Having to laud it over such a small country in which football isn’t even the most popular sport, pretty much sums the English national team up.

Grendel

The likes to Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Dennis Irwin, Damien Duff, Shay Given etc all played at the very top of the game

So did Willie Boland

Brighton Sky Blue

Just read James is seriously thinking of switching to play for Ireland. Would this have any affect on whether we would get monies for international appearances?

Tell you what he can play for them if he can name anywhere in the country except Dublin

clint van damme

Can't believe this thread has got to two pages regarding world class Irish players and no one mentioned Liam Brady.

ccfcway

The likes to Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Dennis Irwin, Damien Duff, Shay Given etc all played at the very top of the game

Top of the game maybe, and even being biased with Robbie, I’d say Roy Keane only was world class.

ccfc92

Poor form from Maddison to blackmail Southgate.

Typical petulant behaviour from him. Great player, but a right horrible little c**t.

mark82

Ireland presumably would like to retaliate for Damien Rice’s switch to England. Maddison was in the England squad this time last year but was not given a space on the sub’s bench and has not featured in a senior squad since. Sancho, Rice, and even Ward-Prowse have leapt ahead of him in Southgate’s view while Henderson, Dier and Lingaard are still features of the England midfield.

Whether Maddison upset someone or just failed to impress when he had a chance I don’t know but I can’t see him making the England breakthrough tbh and I suspect neither can he or his advisors

He got injured.

luwalla

He will be playing for England next championships, no doubt!

Looks absolute quality most weeks... his pass, outside if his boot curler which carved midfield open today, and set up vardy goal up was top drawer.

And most assist last season was it ?

I’m amazed he isnt already in the squad!

skyblue025

No quotes from Maddison. Looks like some made up bull shit. Southgate watched him today and he got a cracking assist setting Vardy up to score.

higgs

The original point had nothing to do with comparing whether Ireland or England had more world class players.
Roy Keane & Liam Brady the only two you could say were world class for Ireland.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread