Man Caves / Summerhouse insulation! (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Hey folks! Long time no post and here I am with a random off topic post 😁
So, I've joined the craze and decided to get a man cave, but late to the party and very late for summer so can't consider it a summer house just yet 🤣
It's Timber framed so need to insulate it.
But I have never been, nor will I ever be 'handy!' 🤣
Anyone have any tips, or done similar themselves to know what would be best to insulate the walls, ceiling and potentially floor with?

JAM See

So, I've joined the craze and decided to get a man cave, but late to the party and very late for summer so can't consider it a summer house just yet 🤣
Anyone have any tips, or done similar themselves to know what would be best to insulate the walls, ceiling and potentially floor with?
In situations that require a degree of 'handiness', I generally decide it will be better all round to 'put some money into the local economy'.

That's my excuse for being too lazy for DIY.

rob9872

Cant help on the post,but nice to see you back sw88, hope all is well with you 👍

shmmeee

You can get boards that sit between the studs until the wall, you need a breathable membrane, there’s tons of tutorials online, I’ve not done it but been looking at building a timber frame with insulation so was googling. It seems something DIYable.

Frank Sidebottom

If your frame is 75mm/3" deep then you'll want to fit 25mm/1" batons inside the frame to create a cavity and cut some 2"/50mm celotex (or similar) board to size and fit in each section of the frame on top of the batons. You may want to also treat the timber with anti mould paint before fitting the celotex boards. And then plasterboard or fit whatever laminate panelling or other finish you may want over the top.
I built my own timber framed shed using the existing old concrete garage as the back and side walls in Easter 2019 purely to keep all the garden stuff in, But never got round to insulating it. Put electrics in it and proper floorboards so it could easily be transformed into an office/man cave/summerhouse if required. Moved house now so I'll probably end up doing it all again next year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026_105939.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_105939.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20221026-105927_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026-105927_Instagram.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 20

Kneeza

Maybe slightly left field, but it could be worth talking to campervan insulation companies and converters.
Most have a wealth of experience in insulating and vapour-barriering small spaces (often for people to live full-time in, so needs to be good).
There are lots out there as Google will reveal, including a supplier in Attleborough Fields.
Personally though, I think I'd try to pick the brains of Liam Black at Coalition Vans in Sheffield. Bloke's a mine of information.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I had an outside shed bar put in the garden , look’s great in the summer just wish I had it closed off so I could sit in it in the winter rather then opened . I seen you can get canvas covers to go over them

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If your frame is 75mm/3" deep then you'll want to fit 25mm/1" batons inside the frame to create a cavity and cut some 2"/50mm celotex (or similar) board to size and fit in each section of the frame on top of the batons. You may want to also treat the timber with anti mould paint before fitting the celotex boards. And then plasterboard or fit whatever laminate panelling or other finish you may want over the top.
I built my own timber framed shed using the existing old concrete garage as the back and side walls in Easter 2019 purely to keep all the garden stuff in, But never got round to insulating it. Put electrics in it and proper floorboards so it could easily be transformed into an office/man cave/summerhouse if required. Moved house now so I'll probably end up doing it all again next year.

Thanks Timperley. Ive seen celotex boards mentioned a lot 👍🏻

ps impressive renovation!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
In my experience it works out cheaper to get someone in to do the job than for me to attempt it, completely fuck it up, and have to pay someone to sort the mess.

it's what I usually do 🤣
I've done the prep for it myself but did get the supplier to deliver and install (it was included in the cost; why wouldn't I 🤷🏼🤣). But trying to do more myself before I call a man in 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread