Map of english dialects ( we speak with an accent exceedingly rare ) (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Saw something on twitter and looked it up , seems coventry really does have its own accent/dialect .. how amazing is that 😂 F-1q8JzXcAA92X6.jpeg

TomRad85

Saw something on twitter and looked it up , seems coventry really does have its own accent/dialect .. how amazing is that View attachment 32407
That West Midlands one could be broken down a lot. It seems like it suggests people from Leamington, Kenilworth, for example speak like people from Tamworth, for example. Or at least the handful of people from Tamworth that are capable of speech.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

That West Midlands one could be broken down a lot. It seems like it suggests people from Leamington, Kenilworth, for example speak like people from Tamworth, for example. Or at least the handful of people from Tamworth that are capable of speech.

I reckon they fit in the coventry accent , Leamington and kenilworth that is

ajsccfc

I never really understood the thing about us having an accent but when I hear it out in the wild it stands out like a sore thumb. There was a chap on Eastenders for a while who was Nasty Nick's son or something like that, as soon as he appeared you could tell he was from Cov

AOM

Yeah, there definitely is a Coventry accent. Don't really notice it in and around the city but if you're abroad, you can spot it from a mile away

shmmeee

Yeah there is. I’ll never forget a geordie girl I met on a night out who could do an absolutely perfect Coventry accent. It throws people as well, they don’t place it as Midlands all the time, it’s definitely not Brummie or Black Country or as posh as further south.

Sick Boy

Yeah there is. I’ll never forget a geordie girl I met on a night out who could do an absolutely perfect Coventry accent. It throws people as well, they don’t place it as Midlands all the time, it’s definitely not Brummie or Black Country or as posh as further south.
It’s definitely got aspects similar to Estuary English.

TomRad85

I'm from kenilworth originally but it took me moving away to realise people in Cov and Warks do actually have an accent. Thought we were beige as fuck but its definitely a bit midlandy. Although I probably sound more Londony now, unfortunately.

Sick Boy

I'm from kenilworth originally but it took me moving away to realise people in Cov and Warks do actually have an accent. Thought we were beige as fuck but its definitely a bit midlandy. Although I probably sound more Londony now, unfortunately.

Same here, living down south for something like 15 years changed my accent a lot.

AOM

I think we're closer to Leicester than Brummie, accent wise. Somewhere in between (lucky us)

fernandopartridge

Coventry has a very distinctive accent, easily identifiable for me especially living away from Cov.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

There's definitely a Coventry accent. I moved away from Coventry at a young age but I can hear it clearly in my relatives who still live there and even my parents. It's nothing like the Brummie accent, which some people seem to think.

Last edited:

ProfessorbyGrace

Even though I lived in Cov until I was in my late 20’s, I never had the accent, strangely.

It does seem odd though, whenever I’m back in the area, and hearing it again - it really is as unique as The Potteries accent.

Always thought it odd, as you can drive a few miles up the A444 to sunny Nunny, and their accent is a weird mixture of Brummie, Cov, Leicester and something mildly resembling Lancastrian.

‘Yuv gannin tuh tek the dog aaaahhht?’

Shudder…

Covkid1968#

I’ve been working in Brum too long… I’ve def got a Cov accent with a Brum lilt. There I’ve said it… and I feel dirty for saying it.

OffenhamSkyBlue

To say that Worcestershire and Herefordshire are "West Midlands", the same as Tamworth, and even Leamington, is plain bonkers. They have very distinct accents and ancient dialects (mainly grunts).
I think the Cov accent is immediately recognisable and distinct from Brum. The main tell-tale sign for me is the way Coventrians can't say the letter E in certain words - Elvis is always pronounced like Alvis, which is very confusing. A former workmate of mine said she going to the Alvis night - i assumed she meant at the Alvis Social Club, but it was an Elvis tribute act!!
The word "well" is the same (and probably used more often than Elvis) - comes out more like an A, but fuck knows how you'd type it phonetically, as it isn't "wall" (as in bricks and mortar).
I can't talk, i'm a Bristolian by birth but have been all over the Southern half of England, so i think my accent is pretty neutral, but when i hear myself talking (recording, or whatever), i still have a West Country twang.

Sick Boy

To say that Worcestershire and Herefordshire are "West Midlands", the same as Tamworth, and even Leamington, is plain bonkers. They have very distinct accents and ancient dialects (mainly grunts).
I think the Cov accent is immediately recognisable and distinct from Brum. The main tell-tale sign for me is the way Coventrians can't say the letter E in certain words - Elvis is always pronounced like Alvis, which is very confusing. A former workmate of mine said she going to the Alvis night - i assumed she meant at the Alvis Social Club, but it was an Elvis tribute act!!
The word "well" is the same (and probably used more often than Elvis) - comes out more like an A, but fuck knows how you'd type it phonetically, as it isn't "wall" (as in bricks and mortar).
I can't talk, i'm a Bristolian by birth but have been all over the Southern half of England, so i think my accent is pretty neutral, but when i hear myself talking (recording, or whatever), i still have a West Country twang.
I think "well" is similar to Estuary English - similar to how they say towel the same as tail.

ProfessorbyGrace

Yes, I noticed that with a few of my friends as school: think it’d be ‘wah-ll’ (if that’s even classed as a phonetic). Very distinct. Same as the ‘A’ in certain names/nouns, like Elvis, Elton, Ellington.

Not sure if you noticed this verbal peculiarity; I had a friend (very broad Coventrian) who was an X-Files fan, and would pronounce ‘Scully’ like ‘Score-lee’. I’m trying to think of other examples, but can’t at the minute.

Cov accent is 100% real. I moved around a bit after growing up not far away, spent years up north, then south west, and have moved back now, and I didn't appreciate there was a Cov accent until I moved back. Now I hear it a mile off.

nicksar

I worked all over the City for several years and the accent differs a bit in certain areas,I think north Coventry (Longford,Holbrooks etc) have a distinct "Coventry" accent,Tile Hill, Eastern Green,Whoberley,Canley definitely slight Birmingham influence.
Years ago I used to spend three nights a week in the Hall Green area of Brum nobody ever asked me where I came from.

hill83

I worked all over the City for several years and the accent differs a bit in certain areas,I think north Coventry (Longford,Holbrooks etc) have a distinct "Coventry" accent,Tile Hill, Eastern Green,Whoberley,Canley definitely slight Birmingham influence.
Years ago I used to spend three nights a week in the Hall Green area of Brum nobody ever asked me where I came from.

Missed this but pretty much saying similar.

duffer

Totally agree with most of this, I can usually pick up a "north Cov" accent.

Tile Hill, where I mostly grew up, is completely different of course. We all speak proper there, like what the Queen did.

Northants Sky Blue

There's definitely a Cov accent which to these ears sounds a bit separate to rest of West Mids (due to Meridan Gap?)

When I lived in the city '92-'98 I noticed it shares a fair bit with my North Northants/South Leics neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Definitely a Cov accent which to these ears sounds a bit separate to rest of West Mids (due to Meridan Gap?)

When I lived in the city '92-'98 I noticed it shares a fair bit with my North Northants/South Leics neck of the woods.
I was seeing a girl from Daventry for a bit back in the day, there were crossovers with their accent as well.

Travs

Most people who live a long way from here, seem to think i'm a bit "Brummy".

But people from closer i.e Midlands, definitely seem to be able to identify it as Cov.

Users who are viewing this thread