Matty Godden (1 Viewer)

stay_up_skyblues

I’m going to concur with you before I watch the vid. He’s not rapid, he’s not particularly strong. But his positioning is arguably a level above as his is finishing (when match fit). I personally think he will do well in the league above if we stick with a similar system and wouldn’t be surprised if MR begins with him as first choice striker. Now on to your vid...

larry_david

Yes mate! Debating this on my run yesterday. He has scored some big big goals. Rotherham header, Sunderland after a min, Ipswich away, that pompey goal in the last 5. He's a goalscorer and I don't care what league you you are in, give him a chance 10 yards out I back him.

Ps can you do a liam Kelly highlights next? Maybe not goal but just awesome play and passes

Reactions: TTG

joemercersaces

Great acquisition and I loved his tweet the other day about “my club” with the SBA singing PUSB. As Keegan would say, loved it!

the rumpo kid

I’m going to concur with you before I watch the vid. He’s not rapid, he’s not particularly strong. But his positioning is arguably a level above as his is finishing (when match fit). I personally think he will do well in the league above if we stick with a similar system and wouldn’t be surprised if MR begins with him as first choice striker. Now on to your vid...
Do'se that mean he's lucky ?

robbiekeane

Love it. That goal against sunderland was great to watch so early on.

The last goal with the elbow to elbows....i remember looking at that laughing thinking they were taking the piss. Now im like..maybe they were being serious (apart from O Hare messing about at the end)

DannyThomas_1981

He's just kept getting better and better. Will do ok in the league above

I think that's right Robbie. I don't think Godden had full match fitness when he arrived. Then he got injured and I'm fairly certain he played quite a few games with that injury - not the easiest thing to do when you are the single striker.

We were really only beginning to see the best of Godden in the final 10 matches.

I don't think we can rely on Godden to play the single striker alone for a full season (however good he is it's a completely unforgiving role) but I can see him doing the business for us in the Championship.

Paxman II

His awareness and movement off the ball are quality and confident finishing. I think he will step up just fine. Will need good support and certainly we will need a good back up pushing him. Can Biamou fill that role? Ideally goals scored will keep you in the championship, so maybe a top striker on loan could be the answer. One pushes the other but we guarantee goals.

SBAndy

His awareness and movement off the ball are quality and confident finishing. I think he will step up just fine. Will need good support and certainly we will need a good back up pushing him. Can Biamou fill that role? Ideally goals scored will keep you in the championship, so maybe a top striker on loan could be the answer. One pushes the other but we guarantee goals.

I do like Max but I think the time has come for him to move on (or accept being third choice). Could do with a younger striker coming in to give us a bit of a succession plan. Godden’s decent but ideally I think he’d be our back up striker in the Championship.

stay_up_skyblues

I do like Max but I think the time has come for him to move on (or accept being third choice). Could do with a younger striker coming in to give us a bit of a succession plan. Godden’s decent but ideally I think he’d be our back up striker in the Championship.

I think he will happily accept being third choice to be honest.

Sick Boy

I’d say that he’d be 3rd choice if we were serious about staying up rather than being sentimental. If Biamou is out 3rd choice striker in the Championship then I’d be concerned, I can’t see Robins keeping hold of him, if we go up.

BackRoomRummermill

He has the height and physical make up of a good striker , he with more coaching could go a lot further than us , he is very good and it’s a no brainier he starts in Championship , personally I think he will do brilliantly next season , just needs a support guy like Mark McNulty they would run riot together

stay_up_skyblues

I’d say that he’d be 3rd choice if we were serious about staying up rather than being sentimental. If Biamou is out 3rd choice striker in the Championship then I’d be concerned, I can’t see Robins keeping hold of him, if we go up.

I’d certainly be concerned if we proceed to play 2 up top. If we stick with one I can’t see MR and the recruitment team throwing a lot of wages at a new third choice striker. Also, not sure anyone much better would come to play 5-10 times in a season including early rounds of the cups (if there are even cups). Rather keep him on a modest wage than invest in someone new..., unless of course it’s a young lad on his way up via the development squad. Although I see no reason why we won’t keep recruiting to develop either way.

Sick Boy

I’d certainly be concerned if we proceed to play 2 up top. If we stick with one I can’t see MR and the recruitment team throwing a lot of wages at a new third choice striker. Also, not sure anyone much better would come to play 5-10 times in a season including early rounds of the cups (if there are even cups). Rather keep him on a modest wage than invest in someone new..., unless of course it’s a young lad on his way up via the development squad. Although I see no reason why we won’t keep recruiting to develop either way.
I’d imagine that a couple of new strikers will be added with Godden as a squad player.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He has the height and physical make up of a good striker , he with more coaching could go a lot further than us , he is very good and it’s a no brainier he starts in Championship , personally I think he will do brilliantly next season , just needs a support guy like Mark McNulty they would run riot together
I wouldn’t have McNulty back, his Lg1 record let alone championship record isn’t great. I don’t think he’s as good as Godden who I think may only be a squad striker in the championship

Sick Boy

Wow, just wow.
Godden will go a lot further than us? He’s 29 this summer and if he is to go a lot further than CCFC, where is this? A PL club?
McNulty - haha!!

ccfcway

I can see him being a 4th choice championship striker with us next season. Jordi and Baka to leave and 2 more to come in

Liquid Gold

I’d imagine that a couple of new strikers will be added with Godden as a squad player.
Would Godden accept that though? He's always moved and preferred to play football, even at a lower level, than stay somewhere at a higher level and sit on the bench.

We'll definitely be looking at bringing a striker in but I think we'll likely stick with one up top and the two will compete.

Any funds we have should be sent to bring Liam Walsh in. His play alone would give us a fighting chance in the Championship and if we got relegated you know he has the quality. Sort of player you build a team around and that is how I'd be pitching if I was MR.

Paxman II

Don't underestimate Godden. he is a far better striker than McNulty. Championship may well suit his game. I would agree another good striker will be required to push him. I fear that will need to be a loan from a premiership club. The question is who?

BackRoomRummermill

How far do you reckon he will go then? PL?

well a simple google search will show plenty of over 30 prem strikers I think your a bit premature just disregarding it , he will do Ok in the Championship , he could Play in prem in the right team he is class for sure.

Sick Boy

well a simple google search will show plenty of over 30 prem strikers I think your a bit premature just disregarding it , he will do Ok in the Championship , he could Play in prem in the right team he is class for sure.
If he’s destined to go much further than the Championship then I’d imagine he will do more than ok next season.
I can’t agree with you though, i think he’d be a decent squad player in the Championship though.

Users who are viewing this thread