Transfer Rumour Matty James (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

Apr 29, 2018
Baka will only eat up funds until the end of the season though. Can’t be more than £50k of cost vs waiting until the summer.

Personally I think we’ll be OK this season, even if we don’t sign anyone else this window, so would be happy to wait until we can bring in the right player to move the squad forward if they aren’t available or we don’t have budget right now.
I tend to agree but do you think we will score enough goals with what we have? Baka seems to have no confidence and I am not sure about Biamou's fitness

Barnsley

Sep 20, 2020
Hate the "transfer committee" idea, but really like your model of not having many loans. Part of me thinks I'd like us to go that way, but think we have the balance ok at the moment. Although we have 5 loans, 2 (maybe 3) are with a view to permanent transfers, and one we sold last year and have kept for an extra 12 months so far.

It’s all about making money, we sign players with development potential, and sell on value, it doesn’t always work out for the players at our club, but we’re getting it right more often than not, but also 3 examples of players that haven’t worked out in the last two years would be, Malik Wilkes who we sold to Hull City in the summer, he’s 22 years old and plenty of scope for development. Elliot Simões 21yo who we got from FCUOM for next to nothing, this week he’s just been loaned to Donkey Rovers who have an excellent track record of developing players, and the third is a player you know well in Luke Thomas who we’re looking to move out for experience and game time. Although it hasn’t worked out for these players at Barnsley because they’ve been through the club we retain an interest in their future development, because when we sell them on we put a great big sell on percentage in the deal, so if they do turn into saleable assets we make a wedge.

If Mowatt does leave it’s because he’s found a club willing to pay him more than we are.

mark82

Jul 15, 2010
South Yorkshire
It’s all about making money, we sign players with development potential, and sell on value, it doesn’t always work out for the players at our club, but we’re getting it right more often than not, but also 3 examples of players that haven’t worked out in the last two years would be, Malik Wilkes who we sold to Hull City in the summer, he’s 22 years old and plenty of scope for development. Elliot Simões 21yo who we got from FCUOM for next to nothing, this week he’s just been loaned to Donkey Rovers who have an excellent track record of developing players, and the third is a player you know well in Luke Thomas who we’re looking to move out for experience and game time. Although it hasn’t worked out for these players at Barnsley because they’ve been through the club we retain an interest in their future development, because when we sell them on we put a great big sell on percentage in the deal, so if they do turn into saleable assets we make a wedge.

If Mowatt does leave it’s because he’s found a club willing to pay him more than we are.

Similar model to us to be honest. Everyone is bought with a view to selling for a profit. It's the right model to have for clubs like Barnsley and Coventry. It's the reason we're back in the Championship.

Barnsley

Sep 20, 2020
Similar model to us to be honest. Everyone is bought with a view to selling for a profit. It's the right model to have for clubs like Barnsley and Coventry. It's the reason we're back in the Championship.

To our recruitment committee loaning in young kids is seen as a waste of a squad place that could be used to develop our own talents, unless a permanent deal is agree should we be happy with said player. Likewise with Matty James we only loaned him in because he was proven quality that we’d never be able to afford permanently and he was ready made to step in and help keep us up. I’ve no doubt we’d loan in someone else like him such as Conor Hourihane should the chance arise but developing young kids for other clubs is highly unlikely.

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
To our recruitment committee loaning in young kids is seen as a waste of a squad place that could be used to develop our own talents, unless a permanent deal is agree should we be happy with said player. Likewise with Matty James we only loaned him in because he was proven quality that we’d never be able to afford permanently and he was ready made to step in and help keep us up. I’ve no doubt we’d loan in someone else like him such as Conor Hourihane should the chance arise but developing young kids for other clubs is highly unlikely.

I dont think that’s too difference from us. We just do a lot more try before you buy. I can’t think of anyone we’ve loaned recently who we haven’t attempted to buy/sign. Even James were already talking about a permanent deal if he performs. Liam Walsh arguably but I think he just performed to such a level he priced himself out of our range.

McCallum was a loan back obviously, and we still have a financial interest in his development. Giles until recently may have been available but has just signed a new contract so unlikely. But neither are the “pay massive loan fees for players you could never sign” type loans.

Reactions: TomRad85

Gibbo

May 26, 2011
Loans are a crucial part of the mix. You should, I say 'should', get players much better than par. We have done very well indeed out of loans for the last three seasons - Sterling, Walsh, Ostigaard, Sam Mac are ordinarily outside our price range.

Just don't be too dependent on them, or else you pay when they leave and the following years' perhaps are not so good. 2 is great, 3 just about ok. In particular they can provide the speed and trickery that is difficult to find in lower divisions - Sterling, Thomas & Giles.

The JCH, Sheaf and James are/were in a slightly different category as they are/were 'loan to buy'.

The ones I am most suspicious of are the loan backs, even though Sam Mac had played well, they can backfire - see Maddison.

Barnsley

Sep 20, 2020
Loans are a crucial part of the mix. You should, I say 'should', get players much better than par. We have done very well indeed out of loans for the last three seasons - Sterling, Walsh, Ostigaard, Sam Mac are ordinarily outside our price range.

Just don't be too dependent on them, or else you pay when they leave and the following years' perhaps are not so good. 2 is great, 3 just about ok. In particular they can provide the speed and trickery that is difficult to find in lower divisions - Sterling, Thomas & Giles.

The JCH, Sheaf and James are/were in a slightly different category as they are/were 'loan to buy'.

The ones I am most suspicious of are the loan backs, even though Sam Mac had played well, they can backfire - see Maddison.

We’re 6 wins away from safety, we don’t need to loan players, in my and our boards opinion, so it’s time to try and develop our own young kids further, so hopefully we don’t need to loan someone like James again next summer.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
We’re 6 wins away from safety, we don’t need to loan players, in my and our boards opinion, so it’s time to try and develop our own young kids further, so hopefully we don’t need to loan someone like James again next summer.

Time will tell whether you miss the experience of James on the pitch and in the dressing room? I think it is as much about Barnsley feeling they are in a reasonably safe league position and want to save some money.

cc84cov

Aug 14, 2018
We look better since he’s come on he has to start next week alongside sheaf push Hamer up with O’Hare

Reactions: shmmeee

Barnsley

Sep 20, 2020
Time will tell whether you miss the experience of James on the pitch and in the dressing room? I think it is as much about Barnsley feeling they are in a reasonably safe league position and want to save some money.

It’s not so much the money we’ve spent money this week, it’s ether he didn’t want stay here, or we’ve thought we’ve got enough to stay up, we’ll buy our own players, our owner have always been reluctant to loan players in unless we can’t get who we want.

AFCCOVENTRY

Aug 1, 2011
It’s not so much the money we’ve spent money this week, it’s ether he didn’t want stay here, or we’ve thought we’ve got enough to stay up, we’ll buy our own players, our owner have always been reluctant to loan players in unless we can’t get who we want.

Robins said that he’s at Cov with a view to a perm deal in the summer. So James probably asked to go back and go for us so he can sort his future out.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
I think we are looking at a permanent deal.

Users who are viewing this thread