Maurice Setters R.I.P (2 Viewers)

Magwitch

I remember I was only about 15/16 and decided I'd go and watch us play at Craven Cottage v Fulham, spur of the moment. Think it was a draw and enjoyed my day out. Came back home in the evening and was asked by my mum and dad where I'd been ? When I told them my dad didn't believe me till I gave him the match programme. Shows how back then you could just hop on a train or coach, pay on the turnstile, and no fuss or bother like it is these days.
We did that regular, we were only kids 12/13 you could go to an away match with less than a quid go to Canley station get a platform ticket get off at Cov so you track side of the barrier scank onto the Sky Blue special and move about to dodge the ticket inspector. Went all over my parents never knew either get back to the Coachmakers before the bingo finished.
Happy days

bringbackrattles

We did that regular, we were only kids 12/13 you could go to an away match with less than a quid go to Canley station get a platform ticket get off at Cov so you track side of the barrier scank onto the Sky Blue special and move about to dodge the ticket inspector. Went all over my parents never knew either get back to the Coachmakers before the bingo finished.
Happy days
Filbert Street was easy too when we played Leicester. Midland Red bus stop opposite the Red Lion pub Walsgrave
Happy days
Going to Filbert Street was easy too. Midland Red bus stop opposite the Red Lion pub Walsgrave, a few of us would meet up after playing football for the school in the morning, and be in the ground before kick off. Me and a mate were only about 15 and we fancied going to a game local, and ended up at Leicester again,but Leeds were there and they took the ground over. They ran riot during and after the match. Scary but at that age probably exciting too !

SkyBlueSid

I agree the Dell was a weird stadium. I'd never been there before and got a bit of a shock when we got inside. It was around the time Southampton hooligans gained notoriety for ambushing Forest fans in the coach park after a game. But we had so many fans there that day,they must have decided best not to bother us !
That was my first visit to the Dell too. What an awful place it was. We were behind the goal in the little open end and were almost on top of the players. The other thing I remember is the state of the pitch. There wasn't a blade of grass on it. Even by 1968 standards it was diabolical. Went many times after that, the last time being for the 5-5 draw.

bringbackrattles

That was my first visit to the Dell too. What an awful place it was. We were behind the goal in the little open end and were almost on top of the players. The other thing I remember is the state of the pitch. There wasn't a blade of grass on it. Even by 1968 standards it was diabolical. Went many times after that, the last time being for the 5-5 draw.
My one and only visit to the Dell, and a visit never to be forgotten. But I've read the Southampton fans of a certain age loved the place, all down to taste I guess. Our own Highfield Road had it's critics too, but to me it was great.

Johhny Blue

I recall that he once tried to steal a few yards by trying to take an offside free kick in the opponent‘s half.
I can remember taking the kickoff for both halves in a Sunday league game and getting away with it. We told the opposing manager after the game and he went batshit.
We often got away with sneaking corners that should have been throws.

Users who are viewing this thread