McSheffrey Wins Award (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Just seen that Macca has won the Coventry City Supporters Club Player Of The Year award.

Are they serious?

Nick

Administrator
Maybe they have forgotten the form he had for about 4 months when he couldn't even pass straight :(

Rocket23

I'd agree with Chris...keogh has been most consistent all season then king as he wasn't here all season

rob9872

Surely not! I like Macca but that's outrageous

rob9872

lol :D :D :D

ashbyjan

Didnt even know there was still a Coventry City Supporters Club - even lower profile than the good old Sky Blues Trust

rob9872

Talking of the trust I see Lionel won something on the pitch at half-time. Any chance of letting me know when you're auctioning all my stuff off Lionel if you see this? You took it and paid for it with a cheque from the trust so if you're still around when is it happening?

Money grabbers all in it for themselves and not for the benefit of CCFC - thank god we've never needed them yet!

rob9872

Is he a member here then?

rob9872

The problem is the award though Rich. I don't think they would be happy with a virtual trophy presented on the pitch ... although I'll put myself forward to present it if we can get some free corporate hospitality from it :)

rob9872

We did have one somewhere but it's dropped off the bottom

OyJimmy

He deserves the award. How many people on here predicted he would be an abject failure. It's those people who look stupid now!

He is our highest goal scoring midfielder since he was last at CCFC. He has played most games and he has generally had a good season. He's also playing a lot better under Thorn than Boothroyd, which has more to do with how/ where he's played than anything else.

rob9872

I think he's had a reasonable season but only in parts and that makes him at most only comparable with Turner, Westwood, Clingan and King. Therefore we should reward consistency and for me that can only be Keogh or Cranie.

I was at the award ceremony, if thats what you can call 20 people in a small room with at least ten being from the Irish supporters branch, who's player of the year incidently was Westwood.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
wouldnt have been close to getting it from me. Would have said Turner, Clingan and King were as influential as him this season, Keogh has been ever present. For me i would have voted for Crainie

ashbyjan

Usual blind local boy made good mentality. He was dire for first half of season, scored a few goals but probably cost us more with his laziness and unwillingness to track back. Has had half a dozen decent matches under AT but that surely is not enough to win player of the year. For consistency has to be ever present Keough or for a brilliant and unexpected start to season Turner or for overall impact has to be King. Young player of year Juke by a country mile.

rob9872

Usual blind local boy made good

OMG I hadn't realised this - in that case he deserves it completely as the Championship balls don't even have a bell in them!

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd say he's been in our top 3 players, easily, and delivered more consistently than anyone else.

To say he was lazy and not tracking back is entirely missing the point. He's lost a yard of pace and has never been a defensive player. If you have a problem with him being a crap defender, have a word with Aidy. I wonder how Marlon would have fared if played on the wing.

I think Sheff was still our most potent creative threat when he was on the wing anyway, in about 80% of the games at least. Since playing in the hole with a passing game he's back to his best. We'd have seen off Scunny and Midboro if he'd been playing IMO. He's also scored our 2 best goals of the season.

I'm pretty sure Thorn agrees with all this, BTW. That's why he built his new shape around him. But as ever, some people just don't like him. I assume a lot of that is due to him *shock horror* signing for another club at one point!

mattylad

Would he be my player of the year..........no that would go to King
Do I think its wrong that others did, not really as in the new formation he is the pivot and when he went out the team and baker come in the gulf in quality between the two is self evident. People need to get off his back, he is far better than 95% of the players we have and will prove it next year now the ball is not going to spend 85 minutes in the air.

junglej13

McSheffrey has been far from his best but still provides genuine quality at this level! The fact he has 8 goals from 30 appearances from midfield (not to mention assists) says a lot! If one or two other midfielders got those figures we would have been a far bigger threat in this league. The fans who don't see this are probably the same ones who'd have you believe McIndoe was like Ryan Giggs in his prime last season! Having said this he I don't think he should have been player of the season. First half of the season Turner hands down - second half would be King. Over the whole season I'd say Westwood.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
McSheffery has contributed, of that there is no doubt. One of our top 3 players, well not for me I would rate King, Keogh, Crainie, Westwood above him with others on a par, Clingan for example. Yes he has played well in the new formation but so has everyone else. However it is easy to forget that in the rest of the season he was at times light weight and his passing poor, his delivery from set pieces and corners was pretty average at best often over hit or wide of the mark. Ok the system didnt suit him but within that system under AB he often failed to do the basics well.

Have I been pleased by his good performances yes but I am realistic enough to know that these are more recent and stick in peoples mind easier than say his performances before Xmas or in January. There are players we miss more, Turner, Clingan, King.... be honest did anyone sit and say against Reading as we played the ball around well against a top team, "if only we had McSheffery"

Is the system built around McSheffery, no. AT is setting up a style for the whole club and wants competition for those places. (see his comments about the academy) Yes Baker was a bit off the pace but he wasnt against Reading, perhaps he needed a decent run in the team to find his form ? It would be a mistake for any manager to build a system around one player..... what happens when he gets injured or suspended ? do you change the system to accomodate another player? Of course not. McSheffery slotted into the role well certainly, but AT is focussed on the system, the style, the team ethic not individual players. The system worked more than anything because everyone bought into it.

Is he a good player at this level - yes. Would he have got into one of the top teams in the division then I am not so sure. It is often easy to judge a player against our own squad and to extrapolate that to make him a top player in the division.

He has had a decent season in parts. He hasnt played at the same level as the recent games under AT for most of the season. It will be interesting to see how he goes next season, another year older and with teams expecting the system of play and countering it.

Valuable contribution but player of the season no.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I'd agree with Chris...keogh has been most consistent all season then king as he wasn't here all season

Am I the only 1 who thought Keogh was dodgy for 3/4 of this season, especially when it came to defending?
I would've given it to Juke myself. Only 1 who's given his all even when the rest of the team's head's had dropped.Even Marlon's work-rate didn't quite match Juke's IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread