Milan van Ewijk Appreciation Thread (4 Viewers)

Bertola

His decision making can also be atrocious. The other night summed him up when he decided to pass out wide to Wright despite being on the edge of the box with a clear sight of goal.

Our right back is now being criticised for not taking a shot on his weaker foot, and instead passing to our top scorer who was running into the area?

FFS

shmmeee

Our right back is now being criticised for not taking a shot on his weaker foot, and instead passing to our top scorer who was running into the area?

FFS

We lost a game. Everyone can now get all their personal frustrations about individual players out under the guise of constructive criticism

SBT

SBT every time a team plays the ball out wide: “THEYRE TARGETING OUR FULL BACK!!!!”
I mean….you’re just describing how football works?

If our full backs deal with the problem then it’s of little note and everyone moves on. If only it were so.

shmmeee

I mean….you’re just describing how football works?

If our full backs deal with the problem then it’s of little note and everyone moves on. If only it were so.

Just makes me chuckle. According to this site every one of our full backs has been targeted since Maatsen.

SBAndy

I read all these comments about MVE and I’m genuinely left scratching my head.

Defensively, he is average. He has a tendency to get caught out of position and challenge for balls he has no chance of winning (see Millwall’s goal the other week).

Going forward, I have never seen a full back so petrified of taking on a man. 80% of his passes are backwards. People saying he is technically very good… what!? He is technically very limited and relies on his pace. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do a trick or anything resembling skill.

His decision making can also be atrocious. The other night summed him up when he decided to pass out wide to Wright despite being on the edge of the box with a clear sight of goal.

If MVE looked like Ryan Haynes and didn’t do fist bumps at the end of the game then very few of our fans would rate him. You’ve all been drawn in hook line and sinker because he “looks the part” and shows a bit of passion.

I’d be looking to recoup our money at the end of the season.

Possibly the most braindead thing I’ve read this season. And one guy said Wright’s 10 goals and 5 assists was “deceiving”.

shmmeee

Possibly the most braindead thing I’ve read this season. And one guy said Wright’s 10 goals and 5 assists was “deceiving”.

It was the same guy wasn’t it? They’re all blurring into one recently. The Booshpocalypse

Alan Dugdales Moustache

This is the chance for Wright. Milan was outside the D and passed it to Wright on the edge of the area.

If that's near the corner flag to you, you may need a trip to specsavers
View attachment 34242
That pass was totally unnecessary. He had the whole goal to shoot at and bottled it.

PVA

The one thing that frustrates me about him is when he gets one v one against a full back near the penalty area.

He's got the pace and skill to beat a man, but he slows it right down, dallies on the ball and ends up either passing it back or just hitting a weak cross against the defender.

Other than that he's clearly an excellent player at this level.

Hobo

If we get another £20m this time buy 10 £2m players.

That is where fans go wrong. There is no simple quick fix formula. Not all 2m players have the potential but an 8m player might have? Also just because there are star players at 18-20 years old it doesn't mean all 18-20 year old players should be judged on their standard.

Attitude and character shapes players futures as much as natural talent.

shmmeee

That is where fans go wrong. There is no simple quick fix formula. Not all 2m players have the potential but an 8m player might have? Also just because there are star players at 18-20 years old it doesn't mean all 18-20 year old players should be judged on their standard.

Attitude and character shapes players futures as much as natural talent.

It’s just spreading of risk really.

skybluecam

What’s that?
Obviously if the recruitment team had two targets lined up and were quoted £2m for one and £5m for the other they'd go with the £2m option.

Your suggestion of only signing players at the lower values would likely have meant we wouldn't have signed Wright, Kitching or Simms. Our season would be looking very different without them.

shmmeee

Obviously if the recruitment team had two targets lined up and were quoted £2m for one and £5m for the other they'd go with the £2m option.

Your suggestion of only signing players at the lower values would likely have meant we wouldn't have signed Wright, Kitching or Simms. Our season would be looking very different without them.

I think we’ve done well in hindsight (the comment you’re replying to is quite old), but I also think the squad is thinner than it could have been and we’ve done well in the £1-2m bracket historically.

Sky Blue Pete

I think we’ve done well in hindsight (the comment you’re replying to is quite old), but I also think the squad is thinner than it could have been and we’ve done well in the £1-2m bracket historically.
Think we have all angles covered
Hope Doug has football brains that he listens to as well as his own confidence.
Understand spreading of risk completely but the way kitching sprays his passes around is what you get when you can spend some of the money you made on the last player you developed into a superstar
Wonder what is afoot for the summer gonna be exciting once again

Hobo

What’s that?

Spreading it across possibly average players rather than cherry picking at the 2 m mark or even higher.

The focus should be on the talent and potential, not necessarily the fee. It is the balance of not over paying, but not missing out just because we have to pay a bit more.

Or you go back to having tight budget limits and just flipping coins, hoping one comes good out of a quantity of cheapish players

Users who are viewing this thread