Most games in a season against the same team (1 Viewer)

Blake

With Wednesday's league position, they won't finish in the top 6, but if they were pushing for playoffs, we could potentially play them 6 times in a season. Have two teams played each other 6 times in the sane season in the past 50 years?

biggymania

Back when the league cup had replays it may even have been possible to make 8 competitive matches against the same team in England.

What is this, Scotland!?

Philosorapter

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Greegs meeting his demise during an owls marathon has some poetic flourish which is now going to be almost impossible to replicate.

RIP Greggs.

biggymania

This isn't exactly the same topic, but it's already in excess of 6 games:

There was, however, one FA Cup marathon that wasn’t interrupted by league football. “In January 1955, Stoke City played five consecutive games against Bury, all in the FA Cup third round,” writes Neil Stacey. “To add to the story, the third, fourth and fifth meetings were at prestigious neutral venues: Goodison Park, Anfield and Old Trafford, respectively.”

The matches were all played between 8 and 24 January. The last four went to extra-time – the first replay was abandoned after 112 minutes because of a snowstorm – before Stoke’s “Tim” Coleman finally settled matters with the winning goal in a 3-2 victory. Overall the tie lasted 9hr 22min and produced 19 goals.

Bury v Stoke City at Old Trafford on 24 January 1955.
View image in fullscreen
Bury v Stoke City at Old Trafford on 24 January 1955. Photograph: Mirrorpix/Getty Images

“In an added twist,” adds Neil, “the clubs had met in consecutive league games over Christmas. Overall, Stoke faced Bury seven times in eight games and Bury played Stoke seven times in nine!” All seven were played within a calendar month: 25 December 1954 to 24 January 1955. If anyone can beat that, we’ll be pleasantly surprised.
These records rely upon the old FA Cup replay system where you could replay each other multiple times if it was a draw after extra time. Madness.

JulianDarbyFTW

At a guess, I'd say it's theoretically possible to have the following, assuming that the team won the Champions League and FA Cup the previous year, whilst also being relegated at the same time.

2x League
2x Play-offs
2x League Cup
2x FA Cup
4x Champions League
1x Charity Shield

Flying Fokker

Arsenal. Liverpool

11 August 1979 FA Charity Shield Liverpool 3-1
24 November 1979 Division 1 Draw 0-0
12 April 1980 FA Cup (semi-final) Draw 0-0
16 April 1980 FA Cup (semi-final replay) Draw 1-1
19 April 1980 Division 1 Draw 1-1
28 April 1980 FA Cup (semi-final replay) Draw 1-1
1 May 1980 FA Cup (semi-final replay) Arsenal 1-0

Irish Sky Blue

Because the FA Cup used to be a competition where you played replay after replay until you had a winner, you could in theory play countless games against the same team. I remember in the 80s playing Wolves 3 times in one FA Cup round, draw at Highfield Road, draw at Molineux then second replay back at Highfield Road which we won.
There was a tie between first division Arsenal and third division Sheffield Wednesday in the 70s that I’m sure went to at least 3 replays.

Bertola

With Wednesday's league position, they won't finish in the top 6, but if they were pushing for playoffs, we could potentially play them 6 times in a season. Have two teams played each other 6 times in the sane season in the past 50 years?

I know its not the same but at the ends of last season/start of this season, we played Middlesbrough 4 times in the space of 6 games

MalcSB

This isn't exactly the same topic, but it's already in excess of 6 games:

These records rely upon the old FA Cup replay system where you could replay each other multiple times if it was a draw after extra time. Madness.
It’s a wonder the players weren’t fatigued.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Because the FA Cup used to be a competition where you played replay after replay until you had a winner, you could in theory play countless games against the same team. I remember in the 80s playing Wolves 3 times in one FA Cup round, draw at Highfield Road, draw at Molineux then second replay back at Highfield Road which we won.
There was a tie between first division Arsenal and third division Sheffield Wednesday in the 70s that I’m sure went to at least 3 replays.

Yeah and didn't need to rest players. 💪

Londonccfcfan

Just 4 years ago we played ipswich 3 games in a row in a week. Then we played them again early March to win the league.

Users who are viewing this thread