Mowbray quote explains all.... (1 Viewer)

The Gentleman

And yet we have posters on this forum willing to throw him their keys and saying the line "in Tony we trust"...............

Esoterica

And yet we have posters on this forum willing to throw him their keys and saying the line "in Tony we trust"...............
I said it on another thread a week or so ago, we need a vision from him so we can understand what he's trying to achieve. Because he's rapidly losing people's faith and people are interpreting the strange decisions as limping towards the end of his contract. In which case it's been an utter waste of 2 years aside from Jodi Jones and Turnbull on longer contracts.

Nick

Administrator
I said it on another thread a week or so ago, we need a vision from him so we can understand what he's trying to achieve. Because he's rapidly losing people's faith and people are interpreting the strange decisions as limping towards the end of his contract. In which case it's been an utter waste of 2 years aside from Jodi Jones and Turnbull on longer contracts.
That's the thing, if he said "it's going to be shit, we won't go down but are totally rebuilding so this season is mid table, next we will have a solid squad of our own players" then people could understand

JulianDarbyFTW

This is just jumping on Mowbray's back for the sake of it. Six months ago he was giving us the best season we have had in years. Literally years. And now, after a half-dozen games of the new season, he's morphed into a clueless moron according to some. Ridiculous.

Otis

This is just jumping on Mowbray's back for the sake of it. Six months ago he was giving us the best season we have had in years. Literally years.

He did, but it was shockingly bad for at least half of it after such a brilliant start.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is just jumping on Mowbray's back for the sake of it. Six months ago he was giving us the best season we have had in years. Literally years. And now, after a half-dozen games of the new season, he's morphed into a clueless moron according to some. Ridiculous.

We were top of the league, the only thing that was ridiculous was that we finished outside of the playoffs given the first half of the season we had. It was completely inexcusable and one of the main reasons why he kept his job was that he said it was a two year plan, so people gave him the benefit of the doubt, and another year to improve.

What happened instead was a summer of cutting the best players from last season that we had (granted Fleck and the loans were probably going anyway), and failing to replace them numbers and quality wise, leaving all the transfer market activity to the dying seconds and then wondering why we have a team of players that firstly aren't probably good enough. Couple this with the admission that they haven't been training properly, and you wonder if the guy has completely lost the plot.

hill83

And if we win the next 20 in a row I'll love him again.

Things change.

Malaka

I do know that some of his players are not use to playing in the position that they are currently playing in. So it will take extra coaching and time to achieve what he wants from his players, especially the younger ones

JulianDarbyFTW

We were top of the league, the only thing that was ridiculous was that we finished outside of the playoffs given the first half of the season we had. It was completely inexcusable and one of the main reasons why he kept his job was that he said it was a two year plan, so people gave him the benefit of the doubt, and another year to improve.

What happened instead was a summer of cutting the best players from last season that we had (granted Fleck and the loans were probably going anyway), and failing to replace them numbers and quality wise, leaving all the transfer market activity to the dying seconds and then wondering why we have a team of players that firstly aren't probably good enough. Couple this with the admission that they haven't been training properly, and you wonder if the guy has completely lost the plot.

But he hasn't said that they haven't been training properly, that's just some peoples interpretation of a comment that can be read another way, as per other comments above. And do you not think it's too early to say the team is worse than last season? Perhaps we should just phone the FA and ask them to relegate us now to save the bother of the next 40 games.

It isn't all 'he's great' or 'he's shit', there are shades of grey inbetween - have patience, then form a judgement a little further down the line. Imho, it is far too early to form any concrete conclusions.

SkyBlue_Bear83

They can train with the players they already have, then if they bring new players in they just bring them up to speed.

Although MV isn't anything to do with the football side now is he?
I think the implication is that they have been training with the players they had in preseason. This quote is attributed to the players who joined after the season began like
Sterry
Turnbull
Page
Wright
Agyei
Bigi
Who haven't had much time to train with the team

JulianDarbyFTW

And if we win the next 20 in a row I'll love him again.

Things change.

The best marriages have some rough, some smooth. Football clubs just seem to turn up their noses and want a divorce as soon as the first lady-fart happens. Sometimes it's best to stick with it for a while and see what happens.

Captain Dart

I think the implication is that they have been training with the players they had in preseason. This quote is attributed to the players who joined after the season began like
Sterry
Turnbull
Page
Wright
Agyei
Bigi
Who haven't had much time to train with the team

As excuses go.... its another one. Results is all that matters.

percy

unbelievable comment really. they only train for a couple of hours a day which leaves plenty of time for talking to players and agents. he could have done some training and look livelier from the sidelines against fleetwood for a start

robbiekeane

Bang on.

Bloody hell thats two posts i agree with now and i thought you were an idiot ;)

singers_pore

It's all very well people saying things like "It will look better if we can get three wins on the bounce". That's the kind of superficial cr@p that Clive Eakin comes out with. At the moment, we do not look like we can win. The squad is the weakest I have ever seen in my 40 years of supporting the city. Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. This is going to be a long hard season particularly if we lose our better loanees in January.

Grendel

It's the best season we had in 2 years in terms of pre December results.

singers_pore

That's the thing, if he said "it's going to be shit, we won't go down but are totally rebuilding so this season is mid table, next we will have a solid squad of our own players" then people could understand

How can he say that we are rebuilding when every Summer sees a mass clear out of players, many of whom are temporary loanees? People have been coming out with this "rebuilding" excuse during every season since we got relegated from the Prem. There is no rebuilding at this club. There is no "2 year plan". A 2 year contract for TM does not equate to a plan of any kind. If they had any kind of plan they would have already articulated it to the fans.

There is only incompetence, laziness, short-termism, and a distinct lack of passion and ambition. That culture of failure starts at the top with Seppala, TF and CA and it then permeates its way though the entire club, from the management team of TM and MV, to the players, the staff, and ultimately the fans. It's all so amateurish.

SkyblueBazza

They can train with the players they already have, then if they bring new players in they just bring them up to speed.

Although MV isn't anything to do with the football side now is he?
Well... yes.

Isn't that what they're paid to do?

The point is - of course they don't simply ignore coaching & preparing the existing squad for the next game during the transfer window - but you can hardly justify doing much team building when you're hoping to increase the squad size by another 25% & then repeat the exercise if & when they join.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Grendel

What would have been the points difference? Where would we have finished that season with the points we had this season season? How does the goal difference compare between the two seasons?

How is that relevant? We had a -10 start to a season and weren't even playing at home. The poster said it was in terms of a start to the season the best in years. Actually in terms of wins and points accumulated it wasn't.

League position is all that matters in a season. The actual performance of Mowbray and Pressley is almost identical at this stage of their careers for coventry and I can confidently predict that similarity will continue until we fire him.

And we will at some point this season fire him.

skybluetony176

How is that relevant? We had a -10 start to a season and weren't even playing at home. The poster said it was in terms of a start to the season the best in years. Actually in terms of wins and points accumulated it wasn't.

League position is all that matters in a season. The actual performance of Mowbray and Pressley is almost identical at this stage of their careers for coventry and I can confidently predict that similarity will continue until we fire him.

It's relevant because the season doesn't finish in December. TM in his first full season surpassed SP's even with the points deduction reinstated. We finished 8 points better of, a far far superior goal difference and in a season that was far far tighter. Let's look at the whole picture shall we. Not just one carefully selected piece.

(edit) Just to add, we'd have finished 14th last season with 61points. That's how much harder last season was.

Last edited:

skyblue1991

When do you think that will be out of interest. End of this month? Before Christmas?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Mowbray is bloody useless. I was expecting better things from him right from the start, but he's been no better than all the other shite managers we've had since being under Sisu! :mad:

Gint11

Gobsmacked by his comments on only just getting to coach the players now. The squad has been in the building since July 1st! To also come out today and say that he only plays 3 at the back because he doesn't trust any one pair is unreal. The bloke has lost the plot atm. I hope he turns it around but right now, I've lost my patience with him especially with the same post match dross he comes out with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot07

It's relevant because the season doesn't finish in December. TM in his first full season surpassed SP's even with the points deduction reinstated. We finished 8 points better of, a far far superior goal difference and in a season that was far far tighter. Let's look at the whole picture shall we. Not just one carefully selected piece.

(edit) Just to add, we'd have finished 14th last season with 61points. That's how much harder last season was.

You can't really make that assumption, because all variables are different. You could argue that the top 6 in 13/15 season were much stronger hence some of tbrm having better points targets or the 7-24th place being stronger and difficult to beat hence more draws and less wins and lower scores. You could argue that last season there were a lot weaker teams in the bottom half which meant the top half gained more points.

Not saying any of that is true, you can only judge season in its own context.

There are glaring similarities between SP and Mowbray

- both came in towards the end of a season and did OK but nothing brilliant
- both had a decent points finish in their first full season - 9th without the 10 point deduction SP / 8th Mowbray
- in that season both managers only had a good first half of the season before nose diving in the second half
- both dropped on lucky with a young unknown 20 goal a season striker
- both played attacking and possession football
- both then switched to a wing back system at the start of their second full season in which the team looked toothless.
-both openly admited to not knowing thr league or thr pool of players you'd recruit from
- both fairly reliant in the academy players
- at this point both their records are pretty much identical.

You also have to factor in that Presley had transfer embargo's, 2x points deductions, Northampton, and although existing high earners on the wage bill you'd argue that Presley had less to wheel and deal with at sixfields in particular, where he was only allowed to sign players on wages 75% lower than the outgoing player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

When do you think that will be out of interest. End of this month? Before Christmas?
I said day 1 he was an uninspiring choice for me.
Although I also read somewhere or other that some research over a period of time showed that the manager has much less influence over performance than player's pay does.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

skybluetony176

You can't really make that assumption, because all variables are different. You could argue that the top 6 in 13/15 season were much stronger hence some of tbrm having better points targets or the 7-24th place being stronger and difficult to beat hence more draws and less wins and lower scores. You could argue that last season there were a lot weaker teams in the bottom half which meant the top half gained more points.

Not saying any of that is true, you can only judge season in its own context.

There are glaring similarities between SP and Mowbray

- both came in towards the end of a season and did OK but nothing brilliant
- both had a decent points finish in their first full season - 9th without the 10 point deduction SP / 8th Mowbray
- in that season both managers only had a good first half of the season before nose diving in the second half
- both dropped on lucky with a young unknown 20 goal a season striker
- both played attacking and possession football
- both then switched to a wing back system at the start of their second full season in which the team looked toothless.
-both openly admited to not knowing thr league or thr pool of players you'd recruit from
- both fairly reliant in the academy players
- at this point both their records are pretty much identical.

You also have to factor in that Presley had transfer embargo's, 2x points deductions, Northampton, and although existing high earners on the wage bill you'd argue that Presley had less to wheel and deal with at sixfields in particular, where he was only allowed to sign players on wages 75% lower than the outgoing player.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think last season it was tight league. Look at it on the previous season. We'd have been in the playoffs with our points tally and Wigan and Burton would only have made the playoffs with theirs. Points were a lot harder to come by last season than most recent seasons. That's a fact. Not saying SP had it easy, he didn't with points deduction and having to play at Sixfields but the stats over a whole season are miles apart not just for CCFC but the league as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread