Mr calzaghe (1 Viewer)

Pipehitterz

Wow. What a great film .
If you can get Hold of it , just marvel at the brilliance of the man

Hadji10

Him and Lennox the best British boxers of the past 30 years. Froch wouldn't have layed a glove on him.

bringbackrattles

I've been interested in Rocky Marciano for many years, as my late father who was a huge boxing fan told me all about him when I was a lad.Calzaghe was unbeaten just like Rocky was,and to do that in any era is no mean achievement. I've researched Marciano and read books and watched his fights online,and although not the greatest fighter ever he was tough as they come,and never knew when to give up. He wasn't the biggest either and would be a light heavyweight if boxing today,but like Joe Calzaghe I reckon he'd find a way to win his fights.

Hadji10

Wish Andre Ward and Calzaghe could have crossed paths. Would have been a horrible fight to watch but probably two of the three best super middleweights of all time.

LastGarrison

Adapted his art brilliantly after the problems with his hands and beat everyone put in front of him.............however for me there are still question marks over who he actually beat?

I've heard him quoted before, and I 100% agree, that unfortunately for him he was born in the wrong era. He was just too late to fight the likes of Eubank, Benn, Watson, Collins et al in their prime and didn't get to fight Roy Jones Junior and Hopkins until they were way past their prime (prime RRJ v Calzaghe at light heavy and their is only one winner for me) and when you actually dissect his record there aren't too many world class names on there.

His performance v Kessler was his stand out performance for me and maybe what he did to Lacy did ruin Lacy as a boxer but in horse racing terms, as much as he was bigged up by the Yanks, his form did just not pan out.

It is hard to play down the career of an unbeaten British boxer and I'm not trying to but it is just unfortunate that there was no-one else anywhere near his class that could have fought to absolutely cement his legacy.

He easily would have beat Froch on points for me as well for what its worth.

Hadji10

His best win is Bernard Hopkins. Although he was 45 at the time, Hopkins still went on to win 2 more world titles at Light Heavyweight AFTER being defeated by Calzaghe, and he became the lineal champion.

A prime James Toney and RJJ would have been too much for Joe, they would have both beaten him. He's a top 5 SMW of all time, behind RJJ, Toney and Andre Ward.

bringbackrattles

Is the middleweight division the most exciting out of all the weights ever ? From way back with Sugar Ray Robinson and Randolph Turpin,to the likes of Leonard, Duran,Hagler,Hearns,and then Benn,Eubank,and through to middleweights today ? Great fighters,great fights,there's just something about this division that gets us watching on the edge of our seats.

Pipehitterz

Mike mccallum was just about the Best . They all avoided him bar Watson, and he took his head off his shoulders.
A pre watson eubank would have been an amazing fight with mccallum tho , it would be hard to see who would have won

Hadji10

Always been a big fan of the middleweight division. I wish Golovkin was around in the days of McCallum, Julian Jackson, Watson, Benn, Mcllellann etc. At least they'd have had the bollocks to fight him.

Users who are viewing this thread