Murphy (5 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody with eyes could have picked up on it :)

rupert_bear

Murphy was injured any criticism of him is unfair and cheering when he was taken off was a disgrace. Think what you like he's a 19 year old rookie and deserves respect for that fact

Nick

Administrator
Murphy was injured any criticism of him is unfair and cheering when he was taken off was a disgrace. Think what you like he's a 19 year old rookie and deserves respect for that fact

I don't agree with the cheering when he goes off, but it isn't just yesterday. It is a good few games now.

rupert_bear

But ain't the only one Nick, Maddison not really delivered consistently since he came back from injury Armstrong is a bit off the mark and in my opinion Vincelot and Fleck both off the mark. There's a lot of pressure on Murphy to produce Ronaldo type performances all the time, it ain't going to happen, yesterday imo Murphy was carrying an injury from early on and should have been dealt with at the latest at half time.

Nick

Administrator
But ain't the only one Nick, Maddison not really delivered consistently since he came back from injury Armstrong is a bit off the mark and in my opinion Vincelot and Fleck both off the mark. There's a lot of pressure on Murphy to produce Ronaldo type performances all the time, it ain't going to happen, yesterday imo Murphy was carrying an injury from early on and should have been dealt with at the latest at half time.

I agree, he should have been taken off.

I'd have brought Tudgay on.

I don't think it is pressure to have Ronaldo type performances, it is just pressure to give half a shit.

PVA

I've been saying it for the last 5/6 weeks. The lad simply cannot play football. Absolutely awful. The only positive about him being here is that it gives myself hope that I can someday play professional football.

Oh wow.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If Murphy is carrying an injury, would it be worth giving Jordan Spence a debut on Tuesday? Don't know much about him to be honest, but think he might add some urgency to our play by getting past a full back and providing crosses for Tudgay (who I'd start on Tues)

I dont think Spence will that high up the pecking order

Otis

Yep, and I'm not having a pop at him. He's also had a fair bit of experience now, been out on loan 5 times before coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Doesn't that kind of send alarm bells off? 5 times?

Sounds to me that he is never going to make it at Norwich. A player like that should surely be progressing by now.

If this is his 5th loan and he's still where he is then that is a worrying sign.

I said before the game yesterday, for us to win we needed both Armstrong and Murphy on form. If only one of them is on form then the defence will be able to target him and mark him out of the game.

As Murphy was offering nothing it was easier to crowd Armstrong out.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He is pacy. It's not a myth.

He was sluggish yesterday though.

He clearly has pace.

Hasn't really utilised it properly for a while now, where is the player that terrorised Peterborough full backs in the second half that day, burned past there full backs that day. Or the one that destroyed Gillingham in the first half.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sounds to me that he is never going to make it at Norwich. A player like that should surely be progressing by now.

If this is his 5th loan and he's still where he is then that is a worrying sign.

I said before the game yesterday, for us to win we needed both Armstrong and Murphy on form. If only one of them is on form then the defence will be able to target him and mark him out of the game.

As Murphy was offering nothing it was easier to crowd Armstrong out.

Armstrong is getting no help from his attacking teammates, Murphy is like playing with 10 men and for all the plaudits Cole has for lately, he is still a bit off the pace against a team who play with tempo, urgency an get in your face.

ceetee

I think in general we are too ponderous moving forward. I would like to see Rose given more time as he seems willing and able to knock early diagonal crosses in. Perhaps that's why he's not playing!

NorthernWisdom

Not really, relatively commonplace nowadays. Jack Cork was another who went all over the place...

Back in the day, he'd have either played competitive reserve football, or us, or someone like us, would have paid £100k for him and he'd have had first team football.

Nowadays, the 'bigger' clubs run huge squads as they can afford to, and the salaries make it next to impossiblefor us to compete in those terms. So players such as Murphy, who obviously have promise, hang around being sent on loan again and again to get battle hardened.

FWIW I think he's a bit unlucky to be picked on. He's the archetypal winger who blows hot and cold, and looks utterly lost when he's cold. Problem is, atm the rest of the team aren't covering for that. When *they're* all blowing cold too, Murphy stands out even more...

Otis

Not really, relatively commonplace nowadays. Jack Cork was another who went all over the place...

Back in the day, he'd have either played competitive reserve football, or us, or someone like us, would have paid £100k for him and he'd have had first team football.

Nowadays, the 'bigger' clubs run huge squads as they can afford to, and the salaries make it next to impossiblefor us to compete in those terms. So players such as Murphy, who obviously have promise, hang around being sent on loan again and again to get battle hardened.

FWIW I think he's a bit unlucky to be picked on. He's the archetypal winger who blows hot and cold, and looks utterly lost when he's cold. Problem is, atm the rest of the team aren't covering for that. When *they're* all blowing cold too, Murphy stands out even more...
Fair enough, NW.

Has he maybe gone backwards since last season though?

I remember the word coming from Colchester that he did really well for them there.

Maybe it is our system. Who knows? He started off brightly, but he hasn't played well at all for quite some time.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We had three substitutions at once. Had his been the first number raised I doubt there would have been a cheer at all. Everyone wanted him off because be was so bloody awful and didn't put in a shift. The fact he didn't get called off until the final substitution raised the awful prospect for a few seconds that he might actually stay on until the very end.

Right now I wouldn't put him in a Sunday league team.

letsallsingtogether

We had three substitutions at once. Had his been the first number raised I doubt there would have been a cheer at all. Everyone wanted him off because be was so bloody awful and didn't put in a shift. The fact he didn't get called off until the final substitution raised the awful prospect for a few seconds that he might actually stay on until the very end.

Right now I wouldn't put him in a Sunday league team.
Shame he was our worst player yesterday good job the others all put in a full shift?

I even heard people blaming him for the goal yesterday even though it was down the opposite wing. .

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The reason he stands out is because he has been the poorest player on the pitch in the region of 20 games this season, whilst only having about 5 good ones.

It depends what you pay attention too, but the when he does have yet another poor game the focus becomes more on the 20 rather than the 5.

Grendel

The reason he stands out is because he has been the poorest player on the pitch in the region of 20 games this season, whilst only having about 5 good ones.

It depends what you pay attention too, but the when he does have yet another poor game the focus becomes more on the 20 rather than the 5.

Cole has had less than 5 good games

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Shame he was our worst player yesterday good job the others all put in a full shift?

I even heard people blaming him for the goal yesterday even though it was down the opposite wing. .

In actual fact, if you watch it back you'll see that Murphy was definitely partly to blame in the first goal. It was on his side too.

He was not doing his job and made no effort to stop the player who started the attack before the cross was put in. No pressure or closing down at all.

If people can blame JOB for the Port Vale goal, then the same responsibility can be distributed to Murphy here.

stupot07

No he wasn't. He bottled a challenge with Ryan, and they broke. That challenge isn't on the video it shows it just after and as you can see Murphy is clearly on that side of the pitch and tracking Ryan.

73e6ff9b10255f4f69a9ef81506f0f6a.jpg

http://www.skysports.com/football/coventry-vs-fleetwood/340470

I'm not scapegoating him, there were a number of errors in the build up, but it did start with him bottling a 50:50, which tbh was more like a 60:40 in his favour. We lost the ball high up stokes commit forward (bottom of the still).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Grendel

The other problem is the team is not often effective unless Murphy is on song.

Otis

No he wasn't. He bottled a challenge with Ryan, and they broke. That challenge isn't on the video it shows it just after and as you can see Murphy is clearly on that side of the pitch and tracking Ryan.

73e6ff9b10255f4f69a9ef81506f0f6a.jpg

http://www.skysports.com/football/coventry-vs-fleetwood/340470

I'm not scapegoating him, there were a number of errors in the build up, but it did start with him bottling a 50:50, which tbh was more like a 60:40 in his favour. We lost the ball high up stokes commit forward (bottom of the still).

That's the perfect shot of Vincelot. The player has just pulled him back by the arm, not allowing him to come across and close down.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The other problem is the team is not often effective unless Murphy is on song.

Because he plays every single game. I think it's about time we tried a few games without him. He might be a match winner once in a blue moon, but collectively as a team we will be better without him.

Grendel

Because he plays every single game. I think it's about time we tried a few games without him. He might be a match winner once in a blue moon, but collectively as a team we will be better without him.

The statistics prove you wrong.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I can accept errors made by players and tactics are largely due to coaching staff.
What is not acceptable at any level of football is lack of effort and even interest. Murphy does not have a basic understanding and instinct for where his team mates are or what they will do. Worst of all he simply doesn't look interested in being a footballer any more. There is no spark, no desire and , worryingly, seemingly no prospect of being dropped as a consequence.
His performance against Bury was so embarrasing in the first half that even Chris Hussey began laughing at him and put an arm around his shoulder after the umpteenth whing at the referee.

lifeskyblue

What I do t understand is that Murphy has pace to burn but rarely uses it recently. Yesterday he got the ball a few times in acres of space and instead of running at and past defenders he tended to slow it down. The only two times he half took the fullback on the outside he put in crosses straight at the keeper instead of pulling them back 5yards to allow arma et al to run onto. Rest of the time he ambled inside and took a tame shot. If I was TM I would tell him to use the pace he has to frighten the opposition even if he loses the ball. Kent kept wide and occupied a couple of defenders. He might not have contributed many end products but defenders were so scared there was a lot more space for the midfield and arma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread