Murphy's form in the last 3 games (1 Viewer)

Warwickhunt

Is it co-incidental that Murphy's form in the last 3 games has been bordering on the shite side and Maddison's transfer to Norwich? You won't convince me that Norwich out of the blue at the last seconds decided to bid for him! I think this has been bubbling for a couple of weeks and Murphy feels rejected by his club and is throwing a sulk, would be grateful to hear your opinions:p:facepalm:

tom88

Is it co-incidental that Murphy's form in the last 3 games has been bordering on the shite side and Maddison's transfer to Norwich? You won't convince me that Norwich out of the blue at the last seconds decided to bid for him! I think this has been bubbling for a couple of weeks and Murphy feels rejected by his club and is throwing a sulk, would be grateful to hear your opinions:p:facepalm:

No I don't think so its just a young player going through a bad patch.

I would understand your theory more if they signed Maddison and he went straight into their first team

ClarkeZ

I doubt it has anything to do with it. Murphy has had a few great games where he has shown his potential, otherwise he has been very mediocre.

I know this has been a very unpopular opinion over the past months but he is not the a good enough team player, he's trying to score himself when he should be passing, he can't cross, his passing is often poor when he does and when he loses the ball he sulks and doesn't work to get it back like almost everyone else does. He blunts our attack due to not feeding others when he has the chance. I believe it has a part to play in Armstrong's dip in form, he isn't getting the service and Murphy is at least partially to blame there.

Yes he has pace and yes he can occasionally win a game and score the odd wonderstrike, but when that's 3 or 4 or 5 games in a season its not good enough. I think he's struggling because he isn't playing the football the team need him to.

Covbaker96

Murphy's best position is playing in behind the striker, i know he's only played a couple games there but when he has, he's looked more dangerous.

Gman1987

He is going through a bad patch I think, I don't think its anything to do with the Maddison saga.

I also wouldn't agree he doesn't pass, and I think he is a decent talent. My only critisism is he won't stick a foot in and sherks any tackle 50/50, a player becomes a bit of a luxury to the side and is better suited to coming on to win a game more over try and steer it.

Not suggesting this thread is pointing to that but some of the abuse he gets every week where I sit is unfathomable and its no wonder he goes missing some games. He is a young boy learning his way in a shit league

Old Warwickshire lad

I doubt it has anything to do with it. Murphy has had a few great games where he has shown his potential, otherwise he has been very mediocre.

I know this has been a very unpopular opinion over the past months but he is not the a good enough team player, he's trying to score himself when he should be passing, he can't cross, his passing is often poor when he does and when he loses the ball he sulks and doesn't work to get it back like almost everyone else does. He blunts our attack due to not feeding others when he has the chance. I believe it has a part to play in Armstrong's dip in form, he isn't getting the service and Murphy is at least partially to blame there.

Yes he has pace and yes he can occasionally win a game and score the odd wonderstrike, but when that's 3 or 4 or 5 games in a season its not good enough. I think he's struggling because he isn't playing the football the team need him to.
Spot on

standupforcity

For me, Murphy isn't playing in the right position. He should be more central with the freedom to roam, to pop up on either wing if necessary. He's best when he's running at the defence and has a far superior finish to Kent...who to me was the ultimate selfish and predictable player. If he's allowed to roam he'll be harder to mark and will find space to run!

rupert_bear

He's a kid in his first full season ffs! He will blow hot and cold but just being on the pitch twiddling his thumbs occupies atleast one defender. The whole team is struggling for form at the moment I believe due to how it's being set up to play to protect our iffy defence, I hope the new additions at centre back restores our more offensive way we played earlier and I am sure that will help Murphy with his form.

ClarkeZ

For me, Murphy isn't playing in the right position. He should be more central with the freedom to roam, to pop up on either wing if necessary. He's best when he's running at the defence and has a far superior finish to Kent...who to me was the ultimate selfish and predictable player. If he's allowed to roam he'll be harder to mark and will find space to run!

I think I agree with you mostly. He would be better behind the striker, but in my eyes he would be 3rd in line (at best) for that role. Maddison, Cole and probably Lameiras too can create more than he can.
Yes he is better than Kent was, but that doesn't say a lot at all.

ClarkeZ

He's a kid in his first full season ffs! He will blow hot and cold but just being on the pitch twiddling his thumbs occupies atleast one defender. The whole team is struggling for form at the moment I believe due to how it's being set up to play to protect our iffy defence, I hope the new additions at centre back restores our more offensive way we played earlier and I am sure that will help Murphy with his form.

Having a player doing nothing but occupying a defender is not enough though for a team trying to gain automatic promotion. Someone else also mentioned about him needing time to settle as he's young.

The issue I have with those comments, while correct in their own rights, we can't afford to have players on the field who 'still need to develop' or have such major form dips. If we want to get promotion we need players who will more consistently perform and aid the team with goals and equally (if not more importantly) assists too.
Potential is great when you have time to allow it to flourish, we don't have that time so we need players who are more consistent to start games. Murphy isn't that player. He could be a good power-sub, fresh rapid legs to run at tired defences late in games, but as a consistent starter I seriously think he is hindering us over other players available.

standupforcity

I think I agree with you mostly. He would be better behind the striker, but in my eyes he would be 3rd in line (at best) for that role. Maddison, Cole and probably Lameiras too can create more than he can.
Yes he is better than Kent was, but that doesn't say a lot at all.

Yes I would love to see Lameiras as a regular starter. Think he's highly gifted and should be given the chance to establish himself.

SkyBlueScottie

How many goals has he scored?

How many assists has he provided?

Also since Kent has left we no longer have pace on the opposite flank, meaning its easier for defenders to double up on him.

Warwickhunt

All good honest meaningful opinions, many thanks everyone

ClarkeZ

Also since Kent has left we no longer have pace on the opposite flank, meaning its easier for defenders to double up on him.

9 goals in 28 games. Remember that 7 of those came in 3 games where we won by big margins, 5 of them in back-to-back wins. Leaving 2 goals in the remaining 25 games.
I can't find assist stats at the moment.
[edit] He has 6 assists in 26 league games. The same number as JOB has, yet he's consistently dropped from the starting team at the moment.

In the remaining games, though, he has probably cost us a vast number of potential goal scoring opportunities due to a lack of passing, poor decision making and inability to play a cross.
I really just want to see Lameiras given a chance again over Murphy, he's being left out time and time again for dire Murphy performances where Lameiras could potentially do so much more.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I really don't understand the Tony Mowbray love in for Murphy. He is so often changing the team line up, but still leaves this guy in when he blatantly isn't making an effort and has been so consistently poor. There is no logic there at all, and it's actually unfair on other players being left out i.e. Lameiras.

As I've said previously, it isn't just a dip in form, it's a general attitude problem. If he really is struggling for form, you can change your own fortunes by at least putting in the effort. Someone like O'Brien may not be playing so well either at the moment, but at least he is still trying hard to makes things happen and is fighting for the team. Murphy's form will only turn around when he takes a shot from 30 yards when he could have passed the ball to a team mate in a better position,but then it somehow goes in and he thinks he's the worlds best again.

You're getting paid good money to play a dream job in front of paying supporters. If you're playing shit but at least trying hard then that's one thing. Not being bothered and strutting around the pitch wussing out of basic tackles and 50/50's (which become a 99/01 when he's involved), and shooting when you could play a team mate in a better position is not someone that is worthy of a place in the starting 11 when we are trying to win promotion.

Nick

Administrator
I always found if you are having a shocking game, putting a great tackle in always makes up for it. Even a bad tackle to show you care!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

9 goals in 28 games. Remember that 7 of those came in 3 games where we won by big margins, 5 of them in back-to-back wins. Leaving 2 goals in the remaining 25 games.
I can't find assist stats at the moment.
[edit] He has 6 assists in 26 league games. The same number as JOB has, yet he's consistently dropped from the starting team at the moment.

In the remaining games, though, he has probably cost us a vast number of potential goal scoring opportunities due to a lack of passing, poor decision making and inability to play a cross.
I really just want to see Lameiras given a chance again over Murphy, he's being left out time and time again for dire Murphy performances where Lameiras could potentially do so much more.

I have been constantly frustrated with Murphy throughout the season and I guess this kind of makes sense. In 23 games Murphy has been largely ineffective looking at those stats.

rupert_bear

Murphy isn't the only player not playing so well lately, but he seems to be singled out. Players like Murphy, wingers, can conjure things out of nothing even when off form. I wouldn't say lately the form of other players are anything to crow about including young Maddison. Wingers are a frustrating breed always have been, our best ever like Ronnie Rees, Tommy Hutchison and Dave Bennett you sometimes wondered if they were on the pitch as said Jacob Murphy is a kid in his first season in first team football.

ClarkeZ

Murphy isn't the only player not playing so well lately, but he seems to be singled out. Players like Murphy, wingers, can conjure things out of nothing even when off form. I wouldn't say lately the form of other players are anything to crow about including young Maddison. Wingers are a frustrating breed always have been, our best ever like Ronnie Rees, Tommy Hutchison and Dave Bennett you sometimes wondered if they were on the pitch as said Jacob Murphy is a kid in his first season in first team football.

No agreed, theres been a lot of lacklustre performances around. However I struggle to pick up on many other players with the lack of effort I seem to see from Murphy. Shying out of tackles and waving his hands in the air theatrically when he loses the ball instead of turning around and chasing down the player who took it off him.
Jim hasnt been great recently but gives 100% every game and the crowd see it. Maddison hasnt been great recently but I see him drop back deeper to find the ball if needed and will track back if he loses is. Hunt will do the same, Armstrong was running back even more last week too to keep pressure on. I just seem to see Murphy all too often give up and expect his team mates to clear up his mess.

Its all well and good saying wingers are a frustrating breed, but aside from 3 games this season I'm yet to see enough conjuring of any sort. Not saying send him back immediately, just give someone else a chance too. His name shouldn't be first on the team sheet every week as it seems to be at the moment. We can't afford many more games where we could have made something but didnt because our winger is a frustrating breed and he had a bad day. We have to create goals now and win games or come the end of the season we wont be anywhere near the promotion fight.

skyblue14

There's no way Murphy is best behind a striker. His awareness of what's around him is poor and the ball seems to bounce off him half the time. He's best out wide where he can run past fullbacks.

hill83

I think Murphy has been contemplating if the earth really is flat. It must be that, a player can't go through a bad patch 'just because'.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think he's got worse since Kent left, Kent took some of the pressure, workload off Murphy as he is a similar player. When Murphy had a quiet period Kent would take the mantle of running at the defence and the opposite when Kent had a quiet spell.

Now Murphy is the only one trying to provide the injection of pace, running at defenders from midfield and he's crumbling under the increased pressure/responsibility as he seems a bit fragile mentally

fernandopartridge

I think he's got worse since Kent left, Kent took some of the pressure, workload off Murphy as he is a similar player. When Murphy had a quiet period Kent would take the mantle of running at the defence and the opposite when Kent had a quiet spell.

Now Murphy is the only one trying to provide the injection of pace, running at defenders from midfield and he's crumbling under the increased pressure/responsibility as he seems a bit fragile mentally

It doesn't help that some fans are on his back straight away and also doesn't help that Stokes has largely stopped running beyond him.

Captain Dart

Therefore another pacey player is needed to replace Kent.

Nick

Administrator
It doesn't help that some fans are on his back straight away and also doesn't help that Stokes has largely stopped running beyond him.

When he is at left back he does, he had been at Centre Back for a couple of games.

The other night he was pretty much up front for most of the 2nd half :)

fernandopartridge

When he is at left back he does, he had been at Centre Back for a couple of games.

The other night he was pretty much up front for most of the 2nd half :)

He got forward far better in the second half, but, when Murphy is on the ball, he's always behind him, leaving Murphy usually up against 2-3 players.

ClarkeZ

He got forward far better in the second half, but, when Murphy is on the ball, he's always behind him, leaving Murphy usually up against 2-3 players.

Probably in part because he knows its not worth expending the energy as Murphy wont pass and will try and find a 1in100 wonder goal by beating those 2-3 players on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread