My favourite goal (2 Viewers)

baldy

I wasn’t born you loser. Hope you manage to get a ticket for Wembley this year buddy

What's when you were born got to do with it? Surely your brain cell can understand that it was a brilliant goal,it was in the last couple of minutes plus it was against one of the giants of Europe at the time - god you're dense

Bidda

Wright up there isn't it.

Definitely in the top 5.

I loved Regis' at Sheff Wed in the 87 cup run. That was fabulous. Plus obviously, Houchen' header in the final.

Plus Regis again when we beat Spurs 4-3. The Thompson goal as mentioned above.

Oh and Ernie Hunt scoring from the half way line against Burnley, way back.
And the ‘donkey kick’ of course. (I remember EH’s against Burnley too. Great goal.)

baldy

Because I wasn’t born so why would I know any of the details.

You booked your seat at Empire for the semi yet? Loser

What? So you don't know anything since then of who we played,what the score was or what the goal looked like? Have you only been Into kick-ball for about a year?

The Great Eastern

Loved the Stuart Linnel commentary to the Luton goal - agree it was so crucial and again West End went mental.
Distinctly remember Les Sealeys reaction in the Luton goal. He desperately wanted us to go down after falling out with the Cov crowd when he was one of our keepers. Killers very late goal was met with one of the biggest celebrations I have ever witnessed in a Cov game. ⚽️😁

thekidfromstrettoncamp

George Hudson's against Southampton in the 60's backed up against Tony Knapp flicked it over him ran past him and headed it over the keeper.
Same season stood by the wall in West End and watched him bamboozle Crewe in the cup because he wanted to put the left corner dispite 3 players and the goalie being on the line.
Just can't chose between the 2.

Anyone remember the Steve Witton goal at the Hawthorns to give us, I think , a 2-1 win. It was the first time we’d beaten the Baggies in years as they regularly stuffed us? Cov end went wild that day.
Said before on here his shots were either out of this world or out of the ground no in betweens.

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

I mangled many necks in celebration, I do not apologise
Me too, then some dickhead started on me for having my arm round his neck during a fucking 100th minute winner which sort of ruined the celebrations for me as I had no clue why he was starting on me at first and had to stop celebrating in the melee to sort it

Brylowes

I’ve thought about this and I wholeheartedly agree with the Op, I was lucky enough to be there when Houchen scored that wonder diving header in 87.
When Ian Wallace scored that blistering overhead kick v Norwich in 78ish, Huckerbys wonder goal v Man Utd etc etc looking back there are so many.

But I honestly think that goal meant the most to me, it was the 100th minute of a game we absolutely deserved to win ‘but only 2 minutes earlier looked like we’d lost.

It was a brilliant move & Hadjis finish was nothing short of sublime 🤔 No 1 City goal for me.

Sky Blue Pete

I’ve thought about this and I wholeheartedly agree with the Op, I was lucky enough to be there when Houchen scored that wonder diving header in 87.
When Ian Wallace scored that blistering overhead kick v Norwich in 78ish, Huckerbys wonder goal v Man Utd etc etc looking back there are so many.

But I honestly think that goal meant the most to me, it was the 100th minute of a game we absolutely deserved to win ‘but only 2 minutes earlier looked like we’d lost.

It was a brilliant move & Hadjis finish was nothing short of sublime 🤔 No 1 City goal for me.
It really was
Add in that turn by Ohare and the lay off by simms and the ball boy trying to delay Bidwells throw which meant wolves weren’t initially switched on
Fantastic

blunted

Me too, then some dickhead started on me for having my arm round his neck during a fucking 100th minute winner which sort of ruined the celebrations for me as I had no clue why he was starting on me at first and had to stop celebrating in the melee to sort it
The worst celebration for me was when the old boy next to me in the West Stand was on holiday and gave his ticket to his vicar who was ginger. Can't remember the game but when we scored he kissed me.

Brylowes

It was absolutely heaving as I recall - worst ever was, however, the game against Forest when they won the league. Could barely breathe in there it was that packed.
I was only 9y/o and sat in the Skyblue Stand towards the Kop end with my old man & brother, Forest had the whole Kop to themselves, great atmosphere that day.

Irish Sky Blue

Full description please :)
From the man himself!

“By the time we went to Highbury in my fourth game for the club, I had already scored my first Coventry goal, a 25-yarder in a 3-1 win against West Ham. I didn’t think I would score a better goal that season. I was wrong! We were already winning 1-0 against Arsenal and were cutting them to pieces when, in the second period, I picked the ball up just inside our half and set off towards their goal. In my mind’s eye, I can remember beating Alan Ball about three times on that run. Funny how your memory plays tricks, as match reports reveal that I beat him only the once, although he did try to bring me down. I dribbled past McLintock and Rice and then rounded the goalkeeper Barnett before slipping the ball between two defenders on the line and into the net. As I ran away celebrating, Colin Stein caught me up and shouted, ‘Why did you go and panic?’ It was an ironic comment as my finish was so cool! A goal like that is pure instinct. When I set off on the run, I wasn’t thinking I would score. The goal simply happened because I beat so many opponents and had no team-mate better placed for me to pass to. Steiny said to me later, ‘If the goal hadn’t been there, you’d have carried on with the ball into the crowd and up the terrace at the Clock End.’ I didn’t even realise that it was such a special goal until I saw the reaction later. In fact, one minute after my goal, I almost repeated the feat but Barnett saved after a long mazy dribble. There are a few grainy seconds of the goal available to see on YouTube and I think that the London Weekend Television cameras were there to cover the game, but for some reason they didn’t release footage of the complete move, which is a shame. Joe Mercer described the goal as the best he had ever seen. Considering Joe’s longevity and his standing within the game, this was a lovely compliment. Derek Henderson, chief football writer for the Coventry Evening Telegraph, said that it was a goal of ‘sheer poetry’. Perhaps the most unusual recognition came a good few years after the event. A young Nick Hornby was at the game and he wrote about the goal and the emotions that it aroused within him in his book (later turned into a film) Fever Pitch. Nick describes my goal quite well, but he is really looking back at his 15-year-old self and is a bit ashamed at his anger with, and desire to do violence to, the Coventry fans celebrating at the Clock End while he watched on from the North Bank. Also watching on was Scotland manager Tommy Docherty. As well as the goal, I had played really well that day, so I certainly hadn’t done my international chances any harm. Unfortunately, within a few weeks, Docherty left his Scotland role to take over as manager of Manchester United and never picked another international squad. I felt that if I continued to play the way I was then, whoever the new Scotland manager was, he couldn’t ignore me.” Excerpt From Hutch, Hard Work and Belief Tommy Hutchison and Kevin Shannon https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=0 This material may be protected by copyright.

HerneBayGaz

The Steve Froggatt screamer v Everton in 1998 was another City goal that’s etched into my memory.

Still hate that thug Nicky Summerbee for ending his career 😒
He is just a horrible sl@g. His dad was exactly the same. I was at a Charlton game. And he completely took out one of the Charlton players. Disgraceful challenge. Then he stamped on his ankle when the referee wasn't looking. COWARD. Never even got booked. I hate them both with a vengeance 😡

Brylowes

He is just a horrible sl@g. His dad was exactly the same. I was at a Charlton game. And he completely took out one of the Charlton players. Disgraceful challenge. Then he stamped on his ankle when the referee wasn't looking. COWARD. Never even got booked. I hate them both with a vengeance 😡
Can’t say I remember his dad but junior was always a proper nasty cynical piece of work, fancied himself as an enforcer in the Souness mold but had absolutely zero class or craft.

I guess in this case, the rotten apple didn’t fall far from the cart horse.

stevefloyd

Huckerbey v Utd - 3.2 win up there in that conversation.

Moldovan goal at Villa park in 1.0 cup win also pretty wild.
Through my dislike of Utd I totally agree the Huckerby goal had me standing up a little more after every man he beat, that elation when he scored I was in the upper west end it was some feeling and I think after being resigned to losing and then equalizing and expecting extra time, the Hadji goal was certainly up there special mention for the flying Houchen goal at Wembley, Willie and Ernies flipper goal and Quinns 3 goals on boxing day aginst Villa :)

Sky Blue Pete

Through my dislike of Utd I totally agree the Huckerby goal had me standing up a little more after every man he beat, that elation when he scored I was in the upper west end it was some feeling and I think after being resigned to losing and then equalizing and expecting extra time, the Hadji goal was certainly up there special mention for the flying Houchen goal at Wembley, Willie and Ernies flipper goal and Quinns 3 goals on boxing day aginst Villa :)
Didn’t he get 2 and Rosario the other? Yep

ms639

It's definitely up there but I was at HR as an 8 year old when Hucks scored THAT goal. Still not beaten for me

Cally Fedora

Some others to throw in that have been extremely enjoyable.
Regis v Spurs on Boxing Day
Whoever got the winner in the 5-4 Rumbelows cup win v Forest
Mick Quinn v Villa on Boxing Day
Boateng v Villa
Paul Williams away at Spurs (the great escape)
Robbie Keane v spurs
Hamer v Luton

There are loads aren’t there.

Johhny Blue

I recall that Hutch scored a legendary solo effort in an away game (Highbury or the Baseball Ground?) not long after he joined us. Was anyone here lucky enough to witness it?
I was there. It was Arsenal and I often refer to his run as “wearing Arsenal defenders like Scarves”

Users who are viewing this thread