New Coventry Council House Why??? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I wish Rugby had a Uni willing to help redevelop the town centre TBH. It's a hole full of empty shops, pound shops, card shops, charity shops and bookies and a shopping centre and multistory car park that are an eye saw and need knocking down. The out of town shopping on the Leicester road is great but without doubt will be the final nail in the town centres coffin. Rugby isn't exclusive to this phenomenon, it's a national issue. Trust me, Coventry is lucky having the Uni. The city centre would be a wasteland already without it

I heard there's a brewery there and "second sport" that used to be there where people went to buy football boots!

skybluetony176

It is, I repeat, the all or nothing. Anywhere, anything that does that takes an allmighty risk.

I will agree with you ref: Elliot's Field. Thought Rugby town centre had stood up pretty well, really, but losing M&S will be the start of a slippery slope I fear.

Don't think there's much wrong with the Clock Towers as a space btw!

It's a shit hole NW. There's no decent shops in it, the roof leaks when it rains and areas of it have a funky smell.

You're right about M&S. They've also just built some new units at Junction One (by the cinema) which I believe a B & M is one of the shops going in, not sure what that will mean for the one in the clock towers. They're also about to start developing the land by the Peugeot garage, more retail I believe. The end is getting near for the town centre, I don't think they've let all the units around ASDA either (the old co-op site) and it's years since they were finished.

Best thing they could do is knock down the clock towers shopping centre, build residential on it and concentrate promoting and developing the traditional town centre.

skybluetony176

I heard there's a brewery there and "second sport" that used to be there where people went to buy football boots!

Pretty sure Second Sport is an Eastern European supermarket now. The brewery is a new one on me to be honest but I rarely go into the town centre to either drink or shop these days. In fact I go in to get my haircut and that's about it.

martcov

Postgraduate students study 12 months a year. Coventry University College enrols students every 6 weeks as they teach on a modular basis. The Uni now has a May intake for both undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as intakes in September and January. Some International students study between 30 and 5 weeks English leading up to these intakes. The Uni also offers summer schools.

It is a fallacy that all students disappear in the summer.

How will Brexit affect our student population?

Westendlad

Off topic but after the ' all parties' agreeing on cuts yesterday was alarmed to hear the council pay 900k per year on trade unionists even though they are not employed by the council and there are only 17 of them......

wingy

Off topic but after the ' all parties' agreeing on cuts yesterday was alarmed to hear the council pay 900k per year on trade unionists even though they are not employed by the council and there are only 17 of them......
Is that accurate or Is 17 shop stewards but numerous affiliated roles.
Sounds a lot, doesn't it?

Captain Dart

Is that accurate or Is 17 shop stewards but numerous affiliated roles.
Sounds a lot, doesn't it?
Sounds like a creeping expense caused by having a Labour Council elected for years on end. Time for a change.

LastGarrison

How will Brexit affect our student population?
Students are currently split into two groups: Home/EU and International.

In terms of EU recruitment it has the possibility of causing catastrophic effects as currently a large number of EU students have access to the student loans which make studying at a UK University a very real possibility rather than a distant pipe dream. If the student loans stop (they are currently protected by EU Law) then expect about a 75% reduction (at least) in EU student recruitment to the UK and a 95% reduction in specific countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Lithuania, Poland etc.

However, the student loan system is also not the only major problem that could effect EU student recruitment it is also the uncertainty as to whether EU students will be able to stay in the UK on completion of their degree to work which is a massive, massive draw. Currently EU students can through the freedom of movement, however, International students had their post study work visas withdrawn 5 or 6 years ago so if EU students have to fall into line with International students then it is unlikely they will be allowed to.

Saying all of this paradoxically Brexit has actually been good for International student recruitment due to the pound weakening which makes it even more affordable for students across the world to come and study in the UK so the light is still on and burning brightly for the Chinese especially!

If the government do decide that EU students cannot access the loan and work after their degree they then are going to find a massive hole in money coming into the UK and a massively depleting workforce! Honestly I have no idea which way they are going to go, however, the likes of the Netherlands, Danish universities etc. are sitting in the wings licking their lips ready to mop up all of these students.

The likes of Canada and New Zealand in particular are also really upping their game in terms of international student recruitment so they are now serious considerations for students, alongside the UK and the US (although we have yet to understand the Trump effect yet!) so the whole industry is very volatile at the moment and with the new REF results being introduced then it would not surprise me if a couple of Universities closed down altogether. Warwick and Coventry will not be one of them though.

martcov

Students are currently split into two groups: Home/EU and International.

In terms of EU recruitment it has the possibility of causing catastrophic effects as currently a large number of EU students have access to the student loans which make studying at a UK University a very real possibility rather than a distant pipe dream. If the student loans stop (they are currently protected by EU Law) then expect about a 75% reduction (at least) in EU student recruitment to the UK and a 95% reduction in specific countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Lithuania, Poland etc.

However, the student loan system is also not the only major problem that could effect EU student recruitment it is also the uncertainty as to whether EU students will be able to stay in the UK on completion of their degree to work which is a massive, massive draw. Currently EU students can through the freedom of movement, however, International students had their post study work visas withdrawn 5 or 6 years ago so if EU students have to fall into line with International students then it is unlikely they will be allowed to.

Saying all of this paradoxically Brexit has actually been good for International student recruitment due to the pound weakening which makes it even more affordable for students across the world to come and study in the UK so the light is still on and burning brightly for the Chinese especially!

If the government do decide that EU students cannot access the loan and work after their degree they then are going to find a massive hole in money coming into the UK and a massively depleting workforce! Honestly I have no idea which way they are going to go, however, the likes of the Netherlands, Danish universities etc. are sitting in the wings licking their lips ready to mop up all of these students.

The likes of Canada and New Zealand in particular are also really upping their game in terms of international student recruitment so they are now serious considerations for students, alongside the UK and the US (although we have yet to understand the Trump effect yet!) so the whole industry is very volatile at the moment and with the new REF results being introduced then it would not surprise me if a couple of Universities closed down altogether. Warwick and Coventry will not be one of them though.

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. I was a bit concerned that Coventry is putting a large portion of it's eggs into one basket. Still am to an extent.

LastGarrison

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation. I was a bit concerned that Coventry is putting a large portion of it's eggs into one basket. Still am to an extent.
Understandable but the University is now considered a 'large' University so a reduction in student numbers from the EU won't have much of an affect and the Uni will continue to invest in its facilities and the City.

Although I am clearly biased.

fernandopartridge

Understandable but the University is now considered a 'large' University so a reduction in student numbers from the EU won't have much of an affect and the Uni will continue to invest in its facilities and the City.

Although I am clearly biased.

Is that who you're working for now, looks a nice job that!

LastGarrison

Yes mate. Literally just walked into my house after a week in Romania and back out there again in a few weeks.

I don't even bother sticking it on Facebook now unless it is a new country, which Romania was!

It looks all good but constantly living out of a suitcase and from one hotel to the next takes it toll and I've just worked 12 days straight and will be back in the office Monday but I can't lie, getting paid to visit new countries certainly helps quell my urges to go backpacking again!!

Nick

Administrator
Looks like RICS have pulled out.

Why would you start building it without a contract in place?

Nick

Administrator
Somebody should phone up pretending to be Tim Fisher asking about the price of the land...

fernandopartridge

Looks like RICS have pulled out.

Why would you start building it without a contract in place?

It's the converse issue. The article states that the 2nd Friargate building wasn't going to being built quickly enough for RICS (though they hadn't signed a pre-let on it anyway). In other parts of the country developers will build offices without having a pre-let, they didn't feel confident enough to do so here (and it looks like they're being proven correct).

The 1st Friargate building was intended to be a solely council building so it is just resorting back to that.

Captain Dart

There is no way 1/4 of this will be built in the next 10 years, the development is ridiculously grandiose.
JS59345060.jpg

shmmeee

It's my understanding that Cov is mostly middle eastern and Warwick mostly Chinese, so not sure Brexit will have a massive impact. On my course there's one Romanian, three Nigerians, one from Lebanon, two from Yemen and the rest English. So out of 15, only one EU citizen.

Nick

Administrator
It's my understanding that Cov is mostly middle eastern and Warwick mostly Chinese, so not sure Brexit will have a massive impact. On my course there's one Romanian, three Nigerians, one from Lebanon, two from Yemen and the rest English. So out of 15, only one EU citizen.

Sounds like the start of a joke if you all walk into a bar for the end of term beer.

shmmeee

Sounds like the start of a joke if you all walk into a bar for the end of term beer.

Fucking freaked the kid from Lebanon out by buying a round first week of the course. He couldn't get his head around it, kept trying to give me money. Had to tell him I'd be offended if he didn't accept a pint.

Nick

Administrator
Fucking freaked the kid from Lebanon out by buying a round first week of the course. He couldn't get his head around it, kept trying to give me money. Had to tell him I'd be offended if he didn't accept a pint.
Plying kids with beer?

LastGarrison

It's actually mostly British!

However, in terms of overall non-British recruitment East Asia is the top at Cov, followed by European, then South Asian, African, Middle Eastern, South East Asian then a smattering from Americas and the Rest of the World.

Users who are viewing this thread