New ground: 10 unsuccessful modern stadium moves (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Article in the guardian, obviously we feature, New ground: 10 unsuccessful modern stadium moves

The relative disappointments of Derby and Sunderland pale into insignificance next to one of the great stadium nightmares of our time. In their golden age, Coventry City were top-flight mainstays, winning the FA Cup and converting Highfield Road into England’s first all-seater stadium. As a new century approached, they decided a new stadium could expand their horizons.

Coventry’s plans were ambitious: a 45,000-seater, multi-purpose venue touted as a potential new national stadium. By the time it opened in 2005, Coventry were in the second division and the plans had been drastically redrawn. A naming rights deal with Jaguar fell through and financial difficulties meant the club had to lease their new home as part of a tangled ownership arrangement.

Much worse was to follow after the team dropped into League One in 2012. Sisu, the club’s hated hedge fund owners, steered the club into administration amid a petty dispute with the stadium operators that left Coventry locked out. After a spell playing home games 35 miles away in Northampton, they returned in 2014 but slipped into the fourth division, a sorry shell of the club they once were.

Under Mark Robins, Coventry have climbed back to the Championship but are currently tenants at Birmingham City, with the Ricoh now owned by rugby union side Wasps. The Sky Blues are now focusing on building a new ground; it is unlikely they will ever play at the Ricoh Arena again.

better days

Article in the guardian, obviously we feature, New ground: 10 unsuccessful modern stadium moves

The relative disappointments of Derby and Sunderland pale into insignificance next to one of the great stadium nightmares of our time. In their golden age, Coventry City were top-flight mainstays, winning the FA Cup and converting Highfield Road into England’s first all-seater stadium. As a new century approached, they decided a new stadium could expand their horizons.

Coventry’s plans were ambitious: a 45,000-seater, multi-purpose venue touted as a potential new national stadium. By the time it opened in 2005, Coventry were in the second division and the plans had been drastically redrawn. A naming rights deal with Jaguar fell through and financial difficulties meant the club had to lease their new home as part of a tangled ownership arrangement.

Much worse was to follow after the team dropped into League One in 2012. Sisu, the club’s hated hedge fund owners, steered the club into administration amid a petty dispute with the stadium operators that left Coventry locked out. After a spell playing home games 35 miles away in Northampton, they returned in 2014 but slipped into the fourth division, a sorry shell of the club they once were.

Under Mark Robins, Coventry have climbed back to the Championship but are currently tenants at Birmingham City, with the Ricoh now owned by rugby union side Wasps. The Sky Blues are now focusing on building a new ground; it is unlikely they will ever play at the Ricoh Arena again.
Hmm
Obviously a lot of truth in this but smacks of David Conn's previous anti Coventry articles in the paper
He'd have been delighted if we'd gone bust

Legia Sky Blue

"unlikely they will ever play at the Ricoh Arena again" - yeah, right

It is common sense for both CCFC and Wasps to have us playing at the Ricoh again, but common sense has played little part in the circumstances that have brought us here.

I think we all hope that SISU have some cunning masterplan, whereby staying at St Andrews while games are BCD puts Wasps in a position whereby they have to beg us to return by whatever terms we see fit. However .............

Liquid Gold

Why would you think David Conn would be happy if we went bust?
Because it would have enabled him to say "look, my theory about ownership models is correct, everybody should listen to me"

If you think his coverage has the club's best interest at heart then I have some magic beans for you.

Travs

Written by an outsider it's a fairly good summing up of the situation.

Not saying i agree with all of it at all... but a non-Cov journalist (and it seems most Cov-based journalists) haven't got the appetite to look into the finer details of why we are where we are...

pusbccfc

Having Derby, Sunderland and Cardiff in the same competition as us and Darlington is absolutely laughable.

Bumberclart

Is there an example of a club that have moved, where the majority of the fans prefer their new ground? I'm struggling to think of one.

Travs

I remember reading that Juventus old ground (Della Alpi) was never popular. However I loved it, and although huge and never filled, it always seemed a good atmosphere.

Their new ground seems well received, although again its well out of the centre of town.

NorthernWisdom

Not a bad shout at all. Coloured by the mess in between leaving the Goldstone Ground, I guess, but still...

How about Middlesbrough, and Stoke? I don't actually know the answers, and am sure people are nostalgic for the old ones, but Middlesbrough is Steve Gibson's baby and he's rescued them from near oblivion, and Stoke have had some good times in their new ground, so if ever there were a couple of teams (Middlesbrough especially) who might look well on a new ground, you'd think it'd be them.

Guess Wimbledon too, now!

SBT

Is there an example of a club that have moved, where the majority of the fans prefer their new ground? I'm struggling to think of one.

Football fans are generally so old that it's hard to get an objective opinion about it. There's always going to be a big generational divide. The 30-something Man City fans I know have a lot of nostalgic good feelings about Maine Road for example, but they accept the Etihad (and surrounding area) is a far superior stadium.

Londonccfcfan

Worst ground i have been to in terms of getting away from the ground took 1 hour to get bus back to car park. (There is no other option), chatting to Brighton fans as we waited an hour in long queues they were just as unhappy but used to the set up.

Thought it was a horrendous set up, again another geound miles form town centre.

Legia Sky Blue

Not a bad shout at all. Coloured by the mess in between leaving the Goldstone Ground, I guess, but still...

How about Middlesbrough, and Stoke? I don't actually know the answers, and am sure people are nostalgic for the old ones, but Middlesbrough is Steve Gibson's baby and he's rescued them from near oblivion, and Stoke have had some good times in their new ground, so if ever there were a couple of teams (Middlesbrough especially) who might look well on a new ground, you'd think it'd be them.

Guess Wimbledon too, now!
[/QUOTE

Until Stoke got promoted to the Prem their ground was viewed as a soul less depressing place, much like many of our fans view the Ricoh. Once in the PL though it transformed into being considered as having a red hot, intimidating atmosphere. Success or otherwise definitely affects fans mindset on these matters.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Until Stoke got promoted to the Prem their ground was viewed as a soul less depressing place, much like many of our fans view the Ricoh. Once in the PL though it transformed into being considered as having a red hot, intimidating atmosphere. Success or otherwise definitely affects fans mindset on these matters.
And how full it is!

Let’s be honest, a full ricoh against Villa or Leicester would be rocking, no doubt at all (at least it would in a world where we could give them a decent game).

Users who are viewing this thread