New Guardian Article (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ntry-charlton?CMP=fb_a-football_b-gdnfootball

Why are so many football fans protesting against club owners? We asked them

Tony Mowbray’s resignation from Coventry City had been coming. Mowbray’s team were bottom of League One and a parting of the ways was inevitable after 10 league games without a win. However, struggles on the pitch and the loss of a manager are not the biggest concerns for supporters, who are enduring a long battle with the club’s owners.

When the Coventry Telegraph launched a petition calling on current owners, Sisu, to sell the club last month, fans jumped to attention – 10,000 signed it within 24 hours – but there was also a weary, almost resigned acceptance that yet another group of fans had reached the end of their tether. It is not uncommon for supporters to have the odd spat with owners, but there is currently a rash of clubs whose followers are in open revolt against owners and there appears to be little chance of resolution for any of them. Angst and antagonism has almost become the new normal up and down the country and across the divisions.

So, at a time when their advice and guidance is in most demand, it is bitterly ironic that Supporters Direct has reached a crossroads in its history. Established to help fans get a foothold in the running of their clubs via supporters’ trusts, Supporters Direct announced in mid-September that it is facing “ongoing uncertainty over its future funding and revenue sources.” While the top end of the game is awash with cash, this is not filtering down the pyramid and the cries for help are growing in number and in volume.

Supporters Direct has achieved a great deal in helping fans express their views but many of those views are distinctly negative and show how much further there is to go before fans gain proper representation at clubs. As John Sillett, the man who led Coventry City to FA Cup glory in 1987, said of the club’s owners: “They are slowly poisoning us, so let’s bring the club back to the people.” Sadly, the tales of decline are not hard to find and they sound very similar.

Continues on, also features Blackpool, Charlton and Blackburn

Captain Dart

Got to admire the Charlton fans, they don't take shit so easily.

Malaka

I like the idea of the protest shirts. Our shirts are only £15-20 on the Nike website, SISU OUT could be the logo

SkyBlueCharlie

Couple of quotes in there that sum up our predicament exactly;
“Apathy and protest-fatigue are understandably setting in for quite a few supporters as the Oystons show no sign of even entertaining the idea of going,”
Substitute SISU and that's us.
“has provoked extraordinary levels of anger fuelled by the fact that this decline is the result of a toxic mixture of arrogance, incompetence and stubbornness.”
Sounds familiar??
I wonder what the words of the Charlton song are, perhaps we could use it?

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Got to admire the Charlton fans, they don't take shit so easily.

The thing I do wish we'd been able top co-ordinate properly was running a couple of candidates in the council elections... but doing it effectively.

That didn't have to be anything other than stating we appreciated a club's place in its city, and wanted a voice to fight for it. Unfortunately we did it so shambolically, it just suggested nobody gave a toss.

When Charlton did it back when the Valley was set to vanish completely, it gave the impetous to *fans* taking control over the club's home and destiny. Regardless of our owners and differences, we should have been aiming for something similar.

SkyBlueCharlie

Just got through reading the comments on there and IMO there's one excellent one that sums up the situation in football today. Ive cut and pasted it here so hope the author and the Guardian don't get annoyed with me. It's a bit long but take the time and appreciate the sentiments.

joolsa40 41m ago
The problem has come from two things I think; football as a business and social media.
If you take football as a business first, well, yes it always has been in a small way. Teams could go bust, although rarely and better run clubs generally did better than badly run ones. But now it's a like your local grocer in 1986 changing to become a supermarket chain in 2016. It may have the same name, the first shop is still in the same place, the old guy who sweeps the floor still might work there, but it is clearly not the same shop.
In a business, if you don't like that situation as a customer, you go and shop somewhere else. But football, despite presenting itself as a business, isn't really. I support Fulham (and believe me, if I could support someone else, I really, really would sometimes) and there isn't a lot I can do about that. Millions of other supporters are the same and that's where the problem starts.
The football business relies on those turnstiles ticking over, the replica shirts being bought and of course, the atmosphere generated by both sets of fans at matches. Clubs like Charlton, Coventry and many others, would have folded if they were true businesses as their 'customers' would have voted with their feet. And there is the disconnect. Football clubs regarding themselves as businesses when they actually aren't 'real' businesses at all, and supporters seeing themselves treated as customers, which they clearly aren't; they are fans which is a HUGE difference.
I have toyed with the idea a few times of going to Non League football instead, simply to avoid this exploitation and fake business models, with their Media Managers, Business Enhancement Managers, Third Away Kits which make you want to shout "It's 22 men trying to kick a ball into a net for God's sake, not a corporate behemoth intent on growing its market in the Far East!". And nice though it is to be short-listed for Nickleodeon child friendly club of the year, it really isn't what football is actually about.
The second point is social media. Fulham lost on Saturday, 2-1 at home to QPR. That's annoying. The fact that we missed 2 penalties, hit the bar, missed two open goals and they scored with their only two half-decent chances, didn't help. However that's football. Get over it, it's a game.
There was plenty on social media immediately afterwards demanding the Owner resign. OK, he's not perfect, but we have bought 14 players this season which he's paid for. Last year we had a transfer embargo for 6 months as he spent too much. He does attend some games. Yes, he is a businessmen and yes, Felix Magath was the worst appointment in history but to be frank he had a Bundesliga win on his CV and most of the fans thought that someone who would give the players a kick up the backside might be good. Neither us nor I suspect Mr Khan realised that he was actually, certifiably mad.
Social media gives voice to the worst in people; it's slightly less annoying than a radio phone in, but only just. Every half-baked opinion is recycled and the overall whole creates a ridiculously toxic atmosphere - even when you win, you get idiots determined to belittle the opposition rather than celebrate your own success. So this intense discontent rumbles on and starts making football less fun and more something for angry, white, middle-aged men (for that's who it is mainly) to shout about stuff. And what's easier than blaming the manager or the owner?
Three teams will get relegated from the Premier League this season. These will likely be the teams with the worst players. Bad owners play a part certainly, as do bad managers and even bad luck. However, even if every team in the Premier League plays to their full potential, with brilliant managers and caring owners, three teams will still be relegated. It's the way it goes.

skybluetony176

The thing I do wish we'd been able top co-ordinate properly was running a couple of candidates in the council elections... but doing it effectively.

That didn't have to be anything other than stating we appreciated a club's place in its city, and wanted a voice to fight for it. Unfortunately we did it so shambolically, it just suggested nobody gave a toss.

When Charlton did it back when the Valley was set to vanish completely, it gave the impetous to *fans* taking control over the club's home and destiny. Regardless of our owners and differences, we should have been aiming for something similar.

There was one independent that ran with a CCFC agenda (against AL IIRC) Rob S was behind it. Did alright for an independent, votes received wise but ultimately achieved very little.

Users who are viewing this thread